• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Regardless of where this ends up, I believe adapting Thor to the big screen and making it successfully has to be one of the biggest wins for Marvel. If you think about it, all the other heroes (Ant Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, etc.) had a pretty straight forward origin that didn't require a huge suspension of disbelief. Thor on the other hand required much, much more care to have the audience to "get it".

And that is what makes the inability by Marvel to bring the Hulk to the big screen successfully all that much more interesting. That was a character that already was known by the public and should have been the easiest to translate.

Ant Man's box office has definitely passed my expectations. This movie, much more than any of the other Marvel movies, felt the most like a Disney branded movie. I would have definitely thought the aim at younger audiences (pre-teen) would have not drawn in the adult. This movie to me was along the lines of a Herbie movie or a Witch Mountain movie. Glad I was proven wrong.

I find it interesting Marvel are aiming for the younger audiences while DC is aiming for the older audiences. What a flip from where these 2 companies where in the 60s and what made people fall in love with Marvel over DC.

Edited by rjrjr

BO will chug past Cap domestically and possibly Thor WW

Does anyone else find it amazing that Antman is actually going to do better than Cap?

Cap & Thor were basically financially done domestically by their 8th weeks of release. Antman is still doing fairly well in it's 8th week.

It'll be fun to see how they use Antman in Civil War

Edited by gadzukes

Does anyone else find it amazing that Antman is actually going to do better than Cap?

Not really. Only because at this point Marvel Studios is so well established, people expect the movies to have a level of quality leading to solid entertainment.

When Captain America: The First Avenger was released (2011), it was only the fifth movie from Marvel. It had released at least one bomb (The Incredible Hulk) and one movie that didn't feel as steady as the first (Iron Man II). So with Cap 1, it wasn't a surprise it just barely passed the mark of profitability for a worldwide film (2.6X of budget). And yet at this point can you see anyone else jumping into the Cap role to replace Chris Evans nowadays without being compared to this actor?

Ant-Man is hitting at a time theater patrons just assume Marvel Studios productions are a safe bet, and worth at least one watch. It's a wise move by Marvel the way this has all come together.

RsfuCoP.png

The bigger foreign box offices open this month.

Dropoff rate is still better than most, even by the 7th week.

NHCJQij.png

0DbSIif.png

cO5e7YZ.png

Pending box office:

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

BO will chug past Cap domestically and possibly Thor WW

Cap & Thor were basically financially done domestically by their 8th weeks of release. Antman is still doing fairly well in it's 8th week.

It'll be fun to see how they use Antman in Civil War

No. the Marvel brand is much more established then it was in 2011. Domestically, it also benefited from the FF debacle; some of those $'s went to seeing Ant-Man a second time rather than FF.

Not really. Only because at this point Marvel Studios is so well established, people expect the movies to have a level of quality leading to solid entertainment.

When Captain America: The First Avenger was released (2011), it was only the fifth movie from Marvel. It had released at least one bomb (The Incredible Hulk) and one movie that didn't feel as steady as the first (Iron Man II). So with Cap 1, it wasn't a surprise it just barely passed the mark of profitability for a worldwide film (2.6X of budget). And yet at this point can you see anyone else jumping into the Cap role to replace Chris Evans nowadays without being compared to this actor?

Ant-Man is hitting at a time theater patrons just assume Marvel Studios productions are a safe bet, and worth at least one watch. It's a wise move by Marvel the way this has all come together.

And when you read a review from 2011 about Captain America: The first Avenger, you don't see the excitement of Avengers captured yet because it was not clear how fantastic a matchup this was going to be. The NY Times reviewer made it sound like it had potential, and was a nice movie to see.

Hey, Brooklyn, Where’d You Get Those Muscles?

Some of this can be attributed to Mr. Johnston, whose affection for the pop culture of the past was charmingly displayed 20 years ago in “The Rocketeer.” (Subsequent, less charming credits include “Jurassic Park III” and “The Wolfman.”) “Captain America” is hardly groundbreaking in its mining and mixing of old pop culture motifs and real-life history — its hero fights Nazis in the shadow of not only his own earlier incarnations but also Indiana Jones — but its goal seems to be refreshment rather than reinvention. It is enjoyably preposterous, occasionally touching and generally likable.

We've come a long ways from 2011. Though there are bumps in the road when it comes to fan desire fulfillment and consistent delivery.

Ant-Man just took a big leap forward, and yes - even more profitable than Captain America: The First Avenger.

grXWfHp.png

Pending box office:

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

:applause:

This one's really had staying power, even after what seemed like a sluggish start.

07/26/15:

And It's a better movie. It'll play longer. In the end it'll beat the Incredible Hulk easily in box office, even adjusted for inflation.

The cost of this movie vs what it'll end up doing is going to make it an easy winner. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 79% critics and 91% audience. It's got legs.

Everyone is panicking way too early.

Sure MI will knock it out of the top spot, that's a given. But other than that, it doesn't have much of anything action oriented to compete with it for another month in a half, other than Man from Uncle.

Here was another good one:

Word of mouth isn't going to give Ant-Man legs.

The fact that it was # 1 its second week was a fluke due to Pixels bombing. Going into the weekend, Ant-Man was expected to be third, behind Pixels & Minions.

Yes -- it's doing very well relative to its budget -- about as well as The Wolverine (with a similar budget).

But it will drop off very quickly in the coming weeks, as MI 5 takes a lot of its screens this week, and FF siphons more of its demographic audience next week.

The major difference between Ant-Man and Guardians, let alone Avengers, is it's not the type of film folks are going to see more than once, whereas the better Marvel films (even Winter Soldier) were.

I disagree, I think people will see this more than once. It's that fun of a movie. I'm taking a friend of mine to see it this weekend, it'll gladly be my 2nd time.

Unlike the FF, which looks like a huge over serious downer, that is praying fervorishly that it can "siphon more of its demographic audience", Ant-Man will bring in repeat viewings.

Fox may hide behind the review embargo that first week, but by the 2nd, word of mouth will kill that movie and the fun alternative will be Ant-Man.

[

Your missing the point I am only focused on domestic which counts the most. This film is a box office bust speaking domestically and will in the end only bring in only 150 to 160 million domestically.

That's 20-30MIL over budget, just from domestic... that's not a bust.

By that standard, X-Men Days of Future Past would be a bust as well as Captain America: First Avenger, Thor, Thor: Dark World, X-Men First Class, (Actually any and all of the X-Men/Wolverine movies other than the first two), Amazing Spider-man, Amazing Spider-man 2, Kick-, Kick- 2....

If you're trying to say, this is no Iron man or GOTG, well, yeah... it's not... the budget told us that even before the movie was released though. Very few movies are.

people that didnt realize ant-man would do well, are still viewing the world with 2006-2009 era logic.

Marvel movies are completely separated from "super-hero" films, and running their own course.

Not every film has to be a billion dollar film to be a huge success. If anything, Ant-man STILL did great, in spite of a bit of a headwind due to Avengers 2 (thanks to editing floor cuts) slightly missing the mark.

Ant-man has already surpassed X-Men First class, opening weekend, domestic, and international. First class has spawn a whole trilogy for Fox and kept the x-men franchise running strong. Ant-man beat it in every category. It may be a smaller horse in a huge stable, but any other studio would kill for a critically acclaimed, budget tripling gem, like Ant-man has turned out to be.

Edited by CBT

I still keep trying to wrap my head around everyone's box office 'disappointment' for Avengers Age of Ultron. (shrug)

Yeah, I read that Disney was disappointed with the box office for Avengers AOU and I do not get it either. I have my qualms about the story and the villain, but it was an entertaining summer popcorn movie. And it made a ton of money.

All I can think is maybe Disney is disappointed that AOU will end up 3rd or 4th globally and 2nd or 3rd domestically for the year. (shrug)

Sequels for comic book and fantasy movies have traditionally done better at the box office than their predecessors.

Disney was probably hoping for the #1 movie of all time. But AOU sucked, so it didn't happen.