• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Here are the most expensive movies made to date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

Whoever updated the wiki site information missed some movies (and details).

thenumbers.com: Movie Budget and Financial Performance Records

:foryou:

This site is lacking information as well. Certainly Star Wars $13 million budget with $460,000,000 BO would land that movie on the most profitable movies based on ROI list.

They have Jaws on the list with a similar budget but half the BO.

That's why when I do my research, I work across all three to get the details. Unfortunately, many of the older movies come up weak on details when it comes to budget and P&A.

Here are the most expensive movies made to date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

Whoever updated the wiki site information missed some movies (and details).

thenumbers.com: Movie Budget and Financial Performance Records

:foryou:

I think this website is wrong. I bet they are mixing production numbers and production + marketing numbers. Box Office Mojo and the Wiki show the Lone Ranger production budget as $215 and $225 respectively with the wiki claiming the $225 number is confirmed. Maybe the extra $50 million that is reported on the-numbers.com is marketing for that movie?

Nope, the estimated marketing cost for the Lone Ranger is $150 million worldwide. Astonishing! Assuming Avengers AoU had a similar marketing cost, they movie better make well more than $1 billion dollars. lol

The three movie analytic sites try to report on just the production budget, though boxoffice.com started plugging in an estimate of marketing expenses a few years back.

Avengers: Age of Ultron

thenumbers.com (production budget): $250,000,000

boxofficemojo: $250,000,000

boxoffice.com: $340,000,000 (*)

* BoxOffice.com's total budget numbers are a combination of production budget figures and estimated domestic P&A costs

I would assume boxoffice.com is plugging in the $250 MM plus Print & Advertising expenses.

I'm just guessing (if Batman & Robin can almost make a billion-the DVD commentary), they'll probably pull in a couple billion or more for the next year in merchandising. I'm still seeing a lot of licensed Avengers 2 stuff out there (a lot of back to school stuff and costumes, toys and the Blu is out Oct.4). I'm still seeing Iron Man 3 and Avengers #1 stuff in discount stores.

I'm just guessing (if Batman & Robin can almost make a billion-the DVD commentary), they'll probably pull in a couple billion or more for the next year in merchandising. I'm still seeing a lot of licensed Avengers 2 stuff out there (a lot of back to school stuff and costumes, toys and the Blu is out Oct.4). I'm still seeing Iron Man 3 and Avengers #1 stuff in discount stores.

That is where Disney is THE KING. Top-of-the-heap merchandising that no other company can beat.

Global Licensing Top 150 List

Disney Consumer Products, once again with the distinction as the world's largest licensor, reported a total of $40.9 billion in retail sales of licensed merchandise worldwide in 2013 and includes companies Marvel, Lucasfilm, ABC Television and ESPN.

The

But then again, this helps:

http://www.businessinsider.com/superman-movie-will-have-100-marketing-tie-ins-2013-6

I honestly don't remember any of the product placements in Man of Steel outside of the obvious Walmart one. Apparently there were a ton more. I'm not sure if that was money well spent or not if I don't remember any of the other products.

It was brought up repeatedly in the Man of Steel movie thread. Well, all of the Man of Steel movie threads.

lol

And this is why the comic book and blockbuster movie genre will continue to thrive. The advertising/product placement fees cover a good portion of the cost of production or marketing of the movie. It will be interesting to see what the fees are for AoU 2 and then for BvS. Both movies should generate significantly more than Man of Steel.

It will be interesting to see how high t

And this is why the comic book and blockbuster movie genre will continue to thrive. The advertising/product placement fees cover a good portion of the cost of production or marketing of the movie. It will be interesting to see what the fees are for AoU 2 and then for BvS. Both movies should generate significantly more than Man of Steel.

It will be interesting to see how high t

X-Men: Days of Future Past did those Carl's Jr. commercials for three of the characters (Mystique, Quicksilver, Colossus).

I don't think I ever happened across an article that noted how much that movie made in promotion dollars.

Aargh. My comment above was cut short by accident. My last sentence was supposed to be:

It will be interesting to see how much AoU and next year's BvS bring in for product placement. Those two flicks should set the bar that others aspire to reach.

Here is an interesting quip from an article re: BvS Product Placement:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/10/batman-vs-superman-dawn-of-justice/

But the box office will not determine whether this movie is successful or not. It is ancillary products that will ensure the movie’s success. There were major concerns about the cost overrun for Man of Steel. Product placement, however, almost recaptured the entire cost of the film. Time Warner will surely implement a similar strategy here.

Not bad, Mister Ant-Man.

HHS4VPL.png

XHIjMA4.png

1yY7FhQ.png

Pending box office:

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015) 16 October

Japan (19 September 2015)

That's a change then because for two months now it has been September.

hm

I wonder if that will have any performance impact when it gets mixed in with other movies.