• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

How was the con today? I'm only going on Sunday. I'm going to sell a few books and buy a couple that I've been wanting. Other than that, Sunday is all about panels for me. Firefly, Star Trek and Stan Lee.

Here is a quick re-cap of Day 1 for us. I thought there was a good crowd for Friday and there was plenty of interest in wall books the first hour. After that, sales were frequent but for small money. No one was really buying large stacks of anything. Lots of people were asking for advice on what to get Stan Lee to sign which to me means the crowd was mostly novices. Made lots of $1 to $3 sales on dollar books which makes for a long day. Most dealers I talked to said the day was ok but nothing spectacular. As far as the dealer room goes, there is a wide range of items represented but it feels a lot like a Wizard World. I thought it was interesting that Half Price Bookstore, Hastings and Game Stop all had fairly large set ups. It was good to see that most of the dealers that have been loyal to this show over the years were up front and the newcomers were in the back for the most part. Graham Crackers' books were there but Jaime was not. Funny Books and All Star Comics had a nice set up with a lot of really cool magazines and collected editions that you just don't see every show. Black Cat Comics had his typical nice selection of key issues. Rick's Comic Crypt (bubbagump) had a nice selection of wall books as well and, after a hiccup with load in, seemed to be doing ok by the end of the day. Jaster-Mereel said he had a real good day and I know he made a couple of nice sells with some dealers. He really is digging up some nice books. Most of the new dealers to the room were of the 1 or 2 booth variety. There was a dealer with a single corner space that had the best selection of older books including Action Comics 2-100ish. Most were graded with 2-20ish being restored. Still, it is cool to see that many older Actions in one booth. The prices were steep but I can't say I blame him. The local DFW comic stores were nicely represented by Boomerang Comics, Awesome Comics, The Collected and ourselves. I thought it was curious that My Comic Shop had an end cap in the front of the room but they were a no show. Hope everything is ok with them. Didn't really have a chance to buy a whole lot from anybody. I am looking at a decent raw Fantastic Four #1 and should have some other goodies coming to us in the morning but we will see how it goes. That's it for now. I will post again tomorrow and will hopefully will have some pictures for you.

There is parking a couple blocks away by the McDonald's. It'll be about 4 blocks away down griffin. I think it costs $10.

First day at the show went well. Seems that people were spending money. Lots of good books in the room. Good mix of books too, modern, silver and even golden were well represented in the dealer room, plus plenty of toys, t shirts and the like. For a "comic show" I really feel this is more comic than "flea market" from past shows. Autograph lines went well (that I was in). I think they finally have a room to accommodate the size this show needs to be! Great day one!

How was the con today? I'm only going on Sunday. I'm going to sell a few books and buy a couple that I've been wanting. Other than that, Sunday is all about panels for me. Firefly, Star Trek and Stan Lee.

Guest wise, it was pretty good.

Store wise, it's a but pricey.

Store wise, it's a bit pricey.

I did notice that there was some strong asking prices in the room. But I think that will solve itself by Sunday. Or dealers will go home with some books. The con reps went around after day one to hand out reservation lists for next year. Booths went up $150! I still think this was a great direction for this show, and it will put the May Dallas show on the "con map" for people and bigger dealers in the future.

DWC was extremely busy all day long. DWC has been representing CGC at all of the Dallas shows for the last three years. And seeing the move to the big convention center seems to have worked. We will have plenty of witnesses available to help you get your books signed. You will find us in booth 1348 conveniently located on the edge of artist alley. So if getting your books signed by any of the celebrities attending the show or comic creators in artist alley is what you want, then DWC is your next stop. See you at the show.

That is really strange that Hastings was there. Were they selling back issues or just Hastings variants?

Were they also buying books? If they're buying, I hope they do more than they do in store. It doesn't matter what book you bring in to their store, they can only offer you 30 cents per book.

That is really strange that Hastings was there. Were they selling back issues or just Hastings variants?

Were they also buying books? If they're buying, I hope they do more than they do in store. It doesn't matter what book you bring in to their store, they can only offer you 30 cents per book.

I wish I had known beforehand and bring boxes of drek

Not going Sunday. If anyone wants my VIP badge, PM me, it's yours. You'll need your own deluxe wristband to go with it, but the badge gets you the VIP priveleges.

I would take it, but I left the show. What VIP privileges are left for Sunday?

Why do you want to leave?

Well, I'm a knucklehead.

I had my books all prepped and ready to go. They were on the table. Then, I got so focused on getting my new dog ready to go to the boarding kennel for the weekend, that I forgot to grab the stack. After two hours of traffic out of Houston, I realized what I had done. No biggie, though, I only really needed one book, and I thought with the strong presence of the "Firefly" cast, I'd be able to find that particular cover. . . got to the Con. No dice. I saw FOUR, and they weren't the right cover (Simon).

Lots of nice books present. I talked to Hot Flips, and thanked them for my relatively recent supply purchase. I tracked down Chrissie Zullo, and we chatted about a commission she had done for me a little while back. I got to meet Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti (who liked the Rocket Raccoon shirt I got here from the Boards), and they were just really cordial and gracious. My nephew is big into Godzilla right now, so I went and met Akira Takarada for him. Of course, I hit up the "Firefly" cast most of the day. Really nice folks. I passed the Desert Wind booth, but you were looking pretty busy. I'll try and stop by tomorrow and thank you personally for handling past sigs for me.

Some fun cosplayers. . . I saw a Doctor Mid-Nite, a couple Hawkgirls, 87 Harleys, and 52 Deadpools. Ok, not that many, but a lot. I thought Gamora was one of the better ones, and of course, Mothra was cracking me up.

Honestly, I had a really good time today!

Day 2 turned out to be very good. Every dealer I spoke with said they made money so I think most everyone is happy. We had a TON of transactions but the majority of them tended to be for lower amounts ($10 or under). We did sell quite a few wall books and we cleared out 10+ boxes from our table stock. The show got the people through the door and from the sound of things, everything seemed to run smoothly. The convention center is HUGE and the dealer room was nicely laid out. We were able to pick up a small stack of cool golden age from a long time customer (pics are coming). We saw a lot of families coming out to take in the sights which was nice to see. There were plenty of cos-players to be seen. We will try and post some pictures of them tomorrow. I shot some pictures of some of the dealers this morning and I will identify those that I can.

Day 2 turned out to be very good. Every dealer I spoke with said they made money so I think most everyone is happy. We had a TON of transactions but the majority of them tended to be for lower amounts ($10 or under). We did sell quite a few wall books and we cleared out 10+ boxes from our table stock. The show got the people through the door and from the sound of things, everything seemed to run smoothly. The convention center is HUGE and the dealer room was nicely laid out. We were able to pick up a small stack of cool golden age from a long time customer (pics are coming). We saw a lot of families coming out to take in the sights which was nice to see. There were plenty of cos-players to be seen. We will try and post some pictures of them tomorrow. I shot some pictures of some of the dealers this morning and I will identify those that I can.

Your booth is huge! I've been through there a few times. . .

Easy to navigate the crowds. As a person who has anxiety in crowds or tight spaces, for me to feel completely comfortable, that says a lot.

Someone mentioned JSC, the line can wrap around the back of his booth. . . that's what they were doing when I walked by later in the day.