• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

Outside of Roy Thomas possibly borrowing the name from that submission because he liked it, it's easy to tell the submission and Wolverine have nothing else in common. Here is a way to end debate when Roy Thomas makes his next convention appearance ask him if he borrowed from hat submission and if so what extent. If Roy said all he borrowed from that submission was the name and nothing else or if he said he borrowed nothing from that submission at all then we can all safely end this stupid story once and for all. All I see is that it is a couple of con artists trying to profit highly.

Did that ad only appear in DD 115? A few months ago someone sold the ad on ebay for some money I forget how much, maybe that drove people to look for any little thing.

That ad's been known forever - I posted about it in 2006:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1170701#Post1170701

That's the part that gets to me. Did no one notice this until recently? Or did no one notice the potential to profit hugely until recently?

Because this is now the best period in ages to throw any old dross against the wall and see what sticks.

The definition for "easy money" is the following:

Place Foom 2 for sale on ebay and place emphasis on it being the prototype for Wolverine. If only Wizard Magazine were still around so that Foom 2 could make its hottest books of the month list.

Well the dumb prices do not seem to be slowing down. :popcorn:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221359724374

Well that's like, what, a third of the last high grade raw copy...something like that?

The slow down will come once the cgc-turnaround-time slack is taken up.

I predict the census to bulge in the coming months. Once everyone gets their copes back from Sarasota get ready for the glut and subsequent free fall.

Well that's like, what, a third of the last high grade raw copy...something like that?

I predict the census to bulge in the coming months. Once everyone gets their copes back from Sarasota get ready for the glut and subsequent free fall.

I know I should sell mine. I could buy some real cool Atlas comics with the proceeds. hm I am just too dumb and lazy. And my OCD will not let me. :tonofbricks:

I know I should sell mine. I could buy some real cool Atlas comics with the proceeds. hm I am just too dumb and lazy. And my OCD will not let me. :tonofbricks:

:facepalm:

This subject was just brought up and discussed in today's Comic Book Legends Revealed over at CBR.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/31/comic-book-legends-revealed-456/

Good article. I actually feel Andy Olsen's uncle had it right.

Do you really think egotistical heads of a corporation are going to admit that they were influenced by fan creations.

This tactic is an ingenious strategy for companies to save time on brainstorming.

I feel Marvel stole the name, Wolverine.

I also feel that although the character is much different it did have some influence.

You'll never hear a company admit this tactic, they don't want to start paying for things people give them for free.

This subject was just brought up and discussed in today's Comic Book Legends Revealed over at CBR.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/31/comic-book-legends-revealed-456/

Do you really think egotistical heads of a corporation are going to admit that they were influenced by fan creations.

This tactic is an ingenious strategy for companies to save time on brainstorming.

I also feel that although the character is much different it did have some influence.

You'll never hear a company admit this tactic, they don't want to start paying for things people give them for free.

Roy Thomas, who's as top-notch a historian as there is when it comes to comic history, specifically remembers that he suggested the name Wolverine to Len Wein, and suggested the general physical appearance (short), place of origin (Canada), and general disposition of the character (irritable). Unless some proof were to come out that Thomas specifically saw the FOOM submissions, then I'm a lot more likely to believe that Olsen's use of the name (or Thomas' use of the name) is nothing more than a coincidence (though as was pointed out in that article, it's easy to see why Olsen himself would see something that just isn't there).

There certainly have been instances in comic history where it looked far more likely that someone had directly lifted a character from someone else's idea -- look no further for an example than Swamp Thing and Man-Thing being published almost at the same time by DC and Marvel -- but as was also debunked here, that was nothing more than a coincidence also.

Also, Quasar was prototyped in the same book! :odoh!

Know who must be laughing his butt off all the way to the bank? Steranko. When I met him at a signing in October, he had a pile of mint uncirculated copies of Fooms. Be a laugh riot if several of his friends are selling them for him on ebay

Great Rock N Roll Swindle comes to mind

I just got a "wrist slap" for questioning if this was truly a wolverine prototype in a sales thread. Pretty suprised honestly, if its marketed as "the one true 1st appearance of wolverine", shouldnt people be allowed to question it? But alas, the mods prevail.

Because doing it in someone's sales thread is threadcrapping. Talking about it here is the way your supposed to do it. :facepalm:

I will be producing a Threadcrapper© prototype this weekend.

You mean the name of an animal that was classified and named as far back as 1758.

It's a common animal name. Andy Olsen never didn't invent the name, never owned the name, so no one stole the name.

Whether or not they decided to use the name for one of their characters is another topic. Maybe they did, maybe not. Doesn't really matter because the name wasn't something invented by this guy.

You mean the name of an animal that was classified and named as far back as 1758.

It's a common animal name. Andy Olsen never didn't invent the name, never owned the name, so no one stole the name.

Whether or not they decided to use the name for one of their characters is another topic. Maybe they did, maybe not. Doesn't really matter because the name wasn't something invented by this guy.

I don't really understand this stance. The name was used in Foom, a Marvel mag in a contest to come up with new character ideas.....a short time after it's publication the character Wolverine was introduced. No one is saying this Olson guy created the name....but he did do a drawing and used the name in a Marvel Mag before Wolverine was officially introduced. :popcorn:

Edit part... Marvel did not steal the name....they just MAY have used it because of the Foom #2 panel.

Such big debate over this issue. It's like drawing a line in the comic book desert and people picking a side. lol. Kind of interesting. :popcorn:

I don't really understand this stance. The name was used in Foom, a Marvel mag in a contest to come up with new character ideas.....a short time after it's publication the character Wolverine was introduced. No one is saying this Olson guy created the name....but he did do a drawing and used the name in a Marvel Mag before Wolverine was officially introduced. :popcorn:

Edit part... Marvel did not steal the name....they just MAY have used it because of the Foom #2 panel.

Such big debate over this issue. It's like drawing a line in the comic book desert and people picking a side. lol. Kind of interesting. :popcorn:

lol That's what I meant. They can't steal something that no one owns. The names of Animals, Greek, Roman, Norse Gods....they are all out there.

That's why DC had a Hercules, Marvel had a Hercules. Thor's been used by several publishers.

"The Spider" has been used a few times too. "Spider-Man"? No...that's something new. That's what I was going for.

That was my auction. :cloud9:

Had a couple people message me after it ended voicing their disdain they missed the high bid and asking if I had any more copies. :)

Peace,

Chip

Good for you! :headbang: Very crazy price. You unloaded it at the perfect time. :applause: