• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

From my 1984 hunting memory:

ASM 252 came out first, MTU 141 a week later, PPTSS 90 bringing up the rear.

**If anyone has the old Marvel Age comics, it probably has the release dates listed. Pretty sure ASM 252 came out the same day as Secret Wars #1 from what I remember

i have noticed a disturbing trend when it comes to most forums, eventually most turn into spider-man debates. you guys all seem to cream over 252 bases on that overused black costume so here's one: marvel age 20 predates secret wars 8 as a black costume on cover. discuss:

FOOM #2 is not the 1st appearance of Wolverine, or even a prototype of the character, as the costume doesn't even resemble Wolverine's at all in my opinion.

Marvel Age #12, (not #20), is the 1st published appearance of Spider-man's black costume that we know of so far

It's all good zilla, I never said Marvel Age 20 was the first appearance of the black costume just that it predates Secret Wars 8! I don't recollect all the images of the black costume from Marvel Age 12 but I vaguely remember there was some red in the design which differed from the black costume Marvel went with. A prototype maybe? Either way it does not matter, as far as I can tell the black costume/Symbiote appeared here before all the comics mentioned above:

165037_4722613437066_1158061221_n_zpsf9754cb9.jpg

540815_4722613037056_254664044_n_zpsc7d8d675.jpg

I was wondering if there was an issue of Amazing Heroes that had the black costume in there pre-Marvel Age. I have the issues of AH with The Watchmen preview as well as the Miller dark Knight Returns issue. So.... does anything have a pre- New Mutants 98 picture of Deadpool in it??

I'll play with this "first appearance" TMNT ad, from Bud Plants catalog which seemed to have previews ahead of publication.

scan0087.jpg

That ad was in Daredevil #115, which was released the same month as Hulk #181 and one month after Hulk #180. So you could hype Daredevil #115 as an early Wolverine appearance but not his first appearance.

But I think it was on the stands first - comics were released weekly and I can remember looking this up and seeing that Daredevil was on the spinner rack before Hulk. Like the whole ASM 252, MTU 14, PPSSM 90 deal where ASM 252 physically appeared first, even though all 3 are cover dated the same month.

It would make sense too, as any ad would need to appear just before the comic it depicted.

I see what you're saying but breaking it down to weekly release is probably splitting hairs when it comes down to the the release month. Now if CGC started putting on the labels " Week 1-11/74 " vs "Week 2-11/74" then we could see defended as definitive because the label says it. You don't expect people to think about that on their own do you? I'm just being sarcastic in general about the state of the hobby.

Now that I checked my collection and found 2 copies of Daredevil #115 I changed my mind and truly believe it is Wolverine's first appearance! :kidaround:

If ads were considered the 1st app. of a character then Action Comics 1 would not be Superman's. Let's not confuse an advertisement with the a character's actual appearance in a story where enough information (however minimal) is provided to give some definition to her/him. We can simply call an appearance that lacks the required information necessary to define that character a cameo providing the appearance is still in a storyline. An advertisement, whether "in house" or not, is a mere announcement that a character is to appear in a future comic book issue. I like to call this the "Action Comics 1 Rule for the Nullification of Advertisements as a character's 1st Appearance."

I don't think that anyone's actually proposing that DD 115 or FOOM 2 be noted as Wolverine's first appearance, but only that they are interesting footnotes to the character and should be identified as such.

Nothing will ever replace Hulk 181, but I think it does make FOOM 2 more interesting that FOOM 3, and DD 115 more collectible than DD 116.

I don't think that anyone's actually proposing that DD 115 or FOOM 2 be noted as Wolverine's first appearance, but only that they are interesting footnotes to the character and should be identified as such.

Nothing will ever replace Hulk 181, but I think it does make FOOM 2 more interesting that FOOM 3, and DD 115 more collectible than DD 116.

Perfectly summed up. I hope the little Three Stooges icon after my comment is perceived that I was joking about DD 115 being his first appearance. I was providing sarcasm on my perception of how I see the market and opinions influenced.

Agreed Joe, but there are speculators attempting to cash in on the misinterpretation of these footnotes (by the way, I like your description of these "instances" as footnotes (thumbs u

This discussion has me thinking about the precedent, perhaps the most famous, set by the ad in Gobbledygook 1. And I'm sure there are some people (excluding the boardies participating here) out there that would like to replicate the Gobbledygook "scenario" with another major character- only it's not going to be Wolverine.

One of the great things about the boards is that we can all come together, explore and discuss issues like this, and through the education we get here, see that some people can avoid being taken advantage of. Otherwise our discussions would be nothing but gobbledygook.

Agreed Joe, but there are speculators attempting to cash in on the misinterpretation of these footnotes (by the way, I like your description of these "instances" as footnotes (thumbs u

This discussion has me thinking about the precedent, perhaps the most famous, set by the ad in Gobbledygook 1. And I'm sure there are some people (excluding the boardies participating here) out there that would like to replicate the Gobbledygook "scenario" with another major character- only it's not going to be Wolverine.

One of the great things about the boards is that we can all come together, explore and discuss issues like this, and through the education we get here, see that some people can avoid being taken advantage of. Otherwise our discussions would be nothing but gobbledygook.

+1