• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

That's what I have. And I thought I overpaid...

man_throwing_money_hc.gif

Has the market spoken long enough to consider this a key wolverine comic/mag? I actually love this issue because it required no TV or movie hype to cause a significant rise in value. These days that is pretty rare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOM-2-1973-NM-9-4-White-Pages-Steranko-Cover-Wolverine-Prototype-/221359724374?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338a115756

I still dont know how anyone could think this was a prototype for wolverine. Its a name that may have been used, not a charecter design. Not to mention that it was submitted by a fan, not by any of the creators of wolverine. At best I'd say they used the fan submitted name for a charecter that they later designed. At worst it has nothing to do with the charecter at all and is a coincidence. (How many superhero names have been gone through trying to name new charecters, thousands.) the fact that anyone would pay top dollar for an otherwise unknown book is beyond me. And with how vague the reference is, I cant see its resale value holding up.

I still dont know how anyone could think this was a prototype for wolverine.

It's not, and the sellers are just lying to hype/pimp their book and get the most money. It's no different than these "PGX 9.6 - like CGC" bozos on eBay.

I still dont know how anyone could think this was a prototype for wolverine. Its a name that may have been used, not a charecter design. Not to mention that it was submitted by a fan, not by any of the creators of wolverine. At best I'd say they used the fan submitted name for a charecter that they later designed. At worst it has nothing to do with the charecter at all and is a coincidence. (How many superhero names have been gone through trying to name new charecters, thousands.) the fact that anyone would pay top dollar for an otherwise unknown book is beyond me. And with how vague the reference is, I cant see its resale value holding up.

I tend not to believe in coincidences. Why have a contest to for people to create characters if you are not going to use any of the better ideas? You get an idea you use it. Contestants likely had to sign a release anyway (if it was anything like today or it didn't matter then). The character has the name, Wolverine, possible healing factor, maybe a skeleton under skin. A positive aspect of this for me is that it was submitted by a fan and thus the roughness of the character. Text from Foom #2

"Character sketches (we call them Model Sheets in the business) ... every character was exactly the kind we were looking for"

None of this means that the pro's at Marvel did not add substantially to the character or that we need think any less of them.

The character has the name, Wolverine, possible healing factor, maybe a skeleton under skin.

Did you just pop on here without reading any of the previous comments?

I'll distill it down for you:

When Wolverine was first introduced, he did *not* have a healing factor, he did not have an Adamantium skeleton and was intended to be an evolved (from the High Evolutionary's New Animal Men?) wolverine (the animal) wearing gloves with Adamantium claws attached to them.

That is what you need to compare to the drawing (obviously of a cyborg), and you are incorrectly projecting future Wolverine evolutions onto an early-70's drawing, that had zero to do with the character as conceived for Hulk 181 and through the early issues of the New X-Men.