• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

If hype doesn't die then the market says it is the Wolverine Prototype and if Foom 2 demand dies then the market (ie collectors) say it isn't the prototype.

Come on, there is no possible way this will ever be noted as a Wolverine Prototype, and it's a short-term scam by sellers to make some extra cash off the feebs. The fact that none of them show the actual "Wolverine" image lol is proof of that, as once people understand it's just a kid's cyborg character with a Wolverine name in it, demand will totally disappear.

The comic shop on eBay that sold their copy for $910.00 had a pretty large picture of the Wolverine prototype in the auction listing and that's the highest price realized for a copy that I've seen. So you can't state "none of them" show the picture.

Yeah bro. A few of them had a clear picture of what was inside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOM-2-1973-RARE-FIRST-WOLVERINE-PROTOTYPE-BEFORE-HULK-181-/331092820441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16ab81d9

I just got a "wrist slap" for questioning if this was truly a wolverine prototype in a sales thread. Pretty suprised honestly, if its marketed as "the one true 1st appearance of wolverine", shouldnt people be allowed to question it? But alas, the mods prevail.

I just got a "wrist slap" for questioning if this was truly a wolverine prototype in a sales thread. Pretty suprised honestly, if its marketed as "the one true 1st appearance of wolverine", shouldnt people be allowed to question it? But alas, the mods prevail.

Because doing it in someone's sales thread is threadcrapping. Talking about it here is the way your supposed to do it. :facepalm:

If hype doesn't die then the market says it is the Wolverine Prototype and if Foom 2 demand dies then the market (ie collectors) say it isn't the prototype.

Come on, there is no possible way this will ever be noted as a Wolverine Prototype, and it's a short-term scam by sellers to make some extra cash off the feebs. The fact that none of them show the actual "Wolverine" image lol is proof of that, as once people understand it's just a kid's cyborg character with a Wolverine name in it, demand will totally disappear.

It's such a crappy-looking image that either way I have no interest in owning a copy of the book.

Check out the cover of Marvel Comics Presents #72. That background skeleton head looks an awful like the skeleton looking image in Foom 2. Has to be coincidence, right? hm

Meck

So you're saying Andy Olson invented the human skull? lol

While it was fun initially to joke around about this book, if people are going to actually take it seriously and make outlandhish claims that this is the "first appearance of Wolverine" then we've officially moved into "whacko territory" and I am not qualified to assess mental illness of this level.

While it was fun initially to joke around about this book, if people are going to actually take it seriously and make outlandhish claims that this is the "first appearance of Wolverine" the we've officially moved into "whacko territory" and I am not qualified to assess mental illness of this level.

I don't think it's his first appearance....I don't even think it's a prototype. I think it can be best summed up as something that is interesting if your a comic book fan. I think it's pretty cool. I am just amazed that no one talked about this for over 40 years??? That is interesting in itself. I owned Foom 2 and never even noticed it. :tonofbricks:

While it was fun initially to joke around about this book, if people are going to actually take it seriously and make outlandhish claims that this is the "first appearance of Wolverine" the we've officially moved into "whacko territory" and I am not qualified to assess mental illness of this level.

I don't think it's his first appearance....I don't even think it's a prototype. I think it can be best summed up as something that is interesting if your a comic book fan. I think it's pretty cool. I am just amazed that no one talked about this for over 40 years??? That is interesting in itself. I owned Foom 2 and never even noticed it. :tonofbricks:

People are just covering all the bases and that's fine. There's no right or wrong opinion. It's not difficult to have it notated and amended next to the listing in Overstreet by recommendation of a couple advisors. Once that happens, it's set in stone and becomes widely accepted.

That's all it took to make a garbage book like Gobbelygook #1 shoot to the moon.. An advertisement of TMNT #1 and someone with a vested interest professing it's the 1st printed image and a few people bought into it and want it. Well, with that logic we should talk about Daredevil #115 again.

Whats up with Daredevil 115? Who is in that? Nekra? The talking baboon guy?

lol No, it's a half page color advertisement for Incredible Hulk #181 with 2 pictures of Wolverine. I have to say it's looks better drawn then the child-like art of Herb Trimpe. We were talking about it's validity as an early Wolverine appearance earlier in this thread.

Maybe we can promote it as the "1st BEST drawn appearance" of Wolverine.

That's all Trimpe art isn't it? The images are taken from the cover (only Hulk's face and Wendigo were corrected by other artists) and the other is from the last-panel reveal of 180.

If anyone hasn't seen it, here's the original image that Trimpe drew for Hulk 181.

144599.jpg.00e704063d14ca780cbb05653e3824ed.jpg

Yes, it is Herb Trimpe art in the ad too.

I was trying to say it didn't look like his child like drawings.

I never liked his art. Maybe the inker touched the ad up a little.

It looks better in a smaller printed image.

That's the part that gets to me. Did no one notice this until recently? Or did no one notice the potential to profit hugely until recently?

One thing I've observed is that as key books get priced out of the range of most buyers, those buyers look for the next best thing they can afford, and then that book becomes hot. No room left in the budget to flip Hulk 180-182 or GS X-Men 1? What else might be out there... hm

Besides, even if this a prototype, so what? There are a boatload of widely-acknowledged prototypes in Strange Tales, Journey into Mystery, and Tales of Suspense that are only worth a bit more than the issues before and after, and are far more similar than this FOOM business.

767829.jpg

673985.jpg