• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

Just a heads-up that Netflix has added some animation for the 1st time:

Justice League:War, Justice League: The Flash Paradox, and The Batman (seasons 1 -5) :cloud9:

Also Son of Batman.

Justice League:War, Justice League: The Flash Paradox, and The Batman (seasons 1 -5) :cloud9:

Also Son of Batman.

Might dig up my copy of The Flashpoint Paradox up. That was a good one.

Also Son of Batman.

Might dig up my copy of The Flashpoint Paradox up. That was a good one.

I loved that one. One of the best.

(thumbs u

Just watched Son of Batman.

Yikes, that was awful....

Flashpoint was pretty awesome, however,

Yeah, it's not good, which bummed me out because I really like a lot of the Damien Wayne comic stuff, especially when the team was Grayson and him.

I was really enjoying these, but they really hasn't been too many homeruns since Batman: Assault on Arkham. Even the solid ones are somewhat forgettable, as soon as you're done watching them.

Maybe the brand is fading.

People start threads on individual movies, but no one really reviews them in the end :shrug:

I was really enjoying these, but they really hasn't been too many homeruns since Batman: Assault on Arkham. Even the solid ones are somewhat forgettable, as soon as you're done watching them.

People start threads on individual movies, but no one really reviews them in the end :shrug:

I agree something seems to be missing from the recent ones as late.

Is that because Bruce Timm and Paul Dini don`t have the same control?

One of the recent ones that I found interesting was Gods & Monsters, which was a Alan Burnett and Bruce Timm story, 2 of the Big 3 of DC Animated (with Dini).

I don't think Dini has anything to do with any of the New52 animated stuff, he's been at Marvel.

I gave a heads-up on Batman: Bad Blood and later my thoughts (DC is heavily invested in Damien).

What I personally think is missing is "scope". Which is hard to pull off (and Bruce Timm was excellent at). Giving the viewer a quick sense of epic-context, what came before with the grandness of what comes next. An embedded sense of the DCU entire.

Without that, these last few are stand-alone single-issue-type tales imho. Some good, some not so good, just not 'great'.

I gave a heads-up on Batman: Bad Blood and later my thoughts (DC is heavily invested in Damien).

What I personally think is missing is "scope". Which is hard to pull off (and Bruce Timm was excellent at). Giving the viewer a quick sense of epic-context, what came before with the grandness of what comes next. An embedded sense of the DCU entire.

Without that these last few are stand-alone single-issue-type tales imho. Some good, some not so good, just not 'great'.

Even though there have been a few DC Animated hit or misses I will say one thing the DC Animated Universe is the best version of DC ever!

It should be the blue print for their comic book line to follow to make good comics!

Even though there have been a few DC Animated hit or misses I will say one thing the DC Animated Universe is the best version of DC ever!

It should be the blue print for their comic book line to follow to make good comics

100% agree. (thumbs u

Having been a lifelong DC fan I truly feel that when Batman the Animated Series began, quickly followed by Superman Animated, it provided a 2nd chance to become a diehard DC fan all over again.

And to this day, without a doubt, THE best Universe when it comes to DC and quality enjoyment. :cloud9:

That's no doubt. Growing up a Marvel fan who easily went into Valiant all kinds of Image titles, Cerebus, Bone, Vertigo, etc DC was never anything I had interest in or held my attention in comics (maybe until Identity Crisis - though I do recall buying and enjoying Sword of Azrael and Vengeance of Bane when they came out), but the animation almost instantly spoke to me.

DC animation gets me hype for Aqualad, or Chesire, or had me all in on Big Barda. I finally understood why Vandal Savage was a badass and there are some episodes that are legit emotional like "Epilogue", where that Ace story just got me.

I could not give the slightest mess about the Teen Titans (sorry Perez and Wolfman fans) but man I was all in on Young Justice from jump.

I'm not too into the new52 offerings though.

On the flip side, I've never had any affection for any Marvel animated project minus Big Hero 6 which is the loosest of loose being Marvel related.

On the flip side, I've never had any affection for any Marvel animated project minus Big Hero 6 which is the loosest of loose being Marvel related.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men series. It had plot-continuity from E1 right through the final episode. Binge-watching probably helped the story line gel. Might give that one a shot.

And Planet Hulk was enjoyable as a 'Heavy Metal' space fantasy. Just don't expect him to revert to Bruce Banner. For some odd reason the left that element of the Hulk-mythos out. I kept waiting...and...never happened.

200px-Wolverineandthexmenanimated.jpg

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men series. It had plot-continuity from E1 right through the final episode. Binge-watching probably helped the story line gel. Might give that one a shot.

And Planet Hulk was enjoyable as a 'Heavy Metal' space fantasy. Just don't expect him to revert to Bruce Banner. For some odd reason the left that element of the Hulk-mythos out. I kept waiting...and...never happened.

200px-Wolverineandthexmenanimated.jpg

Planet Hulk is my favorite Hulk story ever in the comic, I'm good with no Banner.

My top three are all DC:

1. Batman Under The Red Hood

2. Flashpoint Paradox

3. DKR 1&2

Really looking forward to The Killing Joke,supposed to come out this year with mark Hamill as The Joker!

if we are talking movies I always have a soft spot for Mask of Phantasm.
Still haven't seen that one (not a big fan of a pan&scan tranfer), but I'll look into it soon. (thumbs u

You should, it's excellent (thumbs u

I always set my DVD player output to 4:3 for anything not in widescreen. I can't stand watching a "stretched" screen. The last thing Animated Batman needs is to be stretched... he'll end up looking like Batfleck ;)

EDIT: Scratch that. It's 16:9!

Edited by Batman