• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

It was the Shazam character, that destroyed it for me. He almost sunk Yhrone of Atlantis too. Ironically, I thought the idea of Shazam being a bunch of kids was the best idea in the whole movie. Yeah, I must have forgot to add Batman Vs. Dracula.

I see what you mean. I've always liked Captain Marvel/Shazam but they tend to bring out his childishness more with the modern versions (particularly animated). He also doesn't appear to be as powerful as he used to... This guy used to give Superman a run for his money! Interesting that DC included him in the movie when he didn't feature in the original story.

I thought the way Superman was acting around Wonder Woman was downright creepy too. lol

Joking aside, I quite like Batman vs Dracula :shy: Must be my inner Batson ;)

I'm gonna revisit it towards Halloween. I thought it was alright enough, not as good as most solo Batman projects Under The Red Hood or Son of Batman. Surprisingly violent too, which was refreshing for a distinct edginess (the fight at the blood bank, in which the color was muted out).

"The Batman" series had some great fight scenes. Despite being well over the target audience age range, I've watched every episode! It had two of the best Batmobiles ever IMO and an interesting take on Batgirl and Robin.

Try this one on for size.

Bruce Timm announces THE KILLING JOKE at SDCC

Following the release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be Batman: The Killing Joke.

Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

If it is anything like The Dark Knight Returns, this is going to be another DCAU hit.

DC introduce a new continuity to the animated movies...

What continuity ;)

OK this is good news... But poor Babs.

They are needing to change the story slightly due to what the Joker does to Barbara. So where THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was very close to the comics, that may be where Bruce Timm has to alter history some.

It was the Shazam character, that destroyed it for me. He almost sunk Yhrone of Atlantis too. Ironically, I thought the idea of Shazam being a bunch of kids was the best idea in the whole movie. Yeah, I must have forgot to add Batman Vs. Dracula.

I see what you mean. I've always liked Captain Marvel/Shazam but they tend to bring out his childishness more with the modern versions (particularly animated). He also doesn't appear to be as powerful as he used to... This guy used to give Superman a run for his money! Interesting that DC included him in the movie when he didn't feature in the original story.

I thought the way Superman was acting around Wonder Woman was downright creepy too. lol

Yes, I don't think that came across the way it was intended!

Let's hope we don't get the same with Cavill and Gadot ;) I'm interested to see how she plays WW... I'm :signofftopic:

They are needing to change the story slightly due to what the Joker does to Barbara. So where THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was very close to the comics, that may be where Bruce Timm has to alter history some.

Whatever Timm does, I'm sure it'll be good.

But you know it's going to kick off those threads that go on and on about the events of TKJ...

Let's hope we don't get the same with Cavill and Gadot ;) I'm interested to see how she plays WW... I'm :signofftopic:

No, I think that's a legit concern with the live-action movie. Cavill was really wooden in Cold Light of Day around his leading lady and almost fell into the trap with his scenes with Adams in Man of Steel. Luckily, Gadot has a lot screen presence to balance stuff. My guess is she will have more chemistry with Affleck. lol

But, anything is better than the characters chemistry in JL: War.

Whatever Timm does, I'm sure it'll be good.

But you know it's going to kick off those threads that go on and on about the events of TKJ...

Exactly!

No, I think that's a legit concern with the live-action movie. Cavill was really wooden in Cold Light of Day around his leading lady and almost fell into the trap with his scenes with Adams in Man of Steel. Luckily, Gadot has a lot screen presence to balance stuff. My guess is she will have more chemistry with Affleck. lol

:fear:

;)

Also... I don't think AA was the best LL. I guess Teri Hatcher must've been busy? (shrug)

:fear:

;)

Also... I don't think AA was the best LL. I guess Teri Hatcher must've been busy? (shrug)

I think they should have went slightly older and got Kerry Washington.

Yes, Terri Hatcher was absolutely the best Lois Lane ever. Not only was she a sex-pot, but she had a thrown together look of a woman always on a the go to get a scoop (her hair looked like she just grabbed the end in a clump and snipped, lack of make-up, etc). Plus, her willingness for overly elaborate damsel-in-distress situations (to keep up with the Superman mythos) from producers was mostly tongue-in-cheek, since she really didn't rescuing in most of them. She definitely, was an underrated actress (too many magazine covers, made her look like a bimbo). Amy Adams girl-next-door is an interesting experiment, but I feel will run it's course by a third movie unless she can expand her character better and how many times is Superman gonna catch her falling in a movie? My 2c

Yes, Terri Hatcher was absolutely the best Lois Lane ever. Not only was she a sex-pot, but she had a thrown together look of a woman always on a the go to get a scoop (her hair looked like she just grabbed the end in a clump and snipped, lack of make-up, etc). Plus, her willingness for overly elaborate damsel-in-distress situations (to keep up with the Superman mythos) from producers was mostly tongue-in-cheek, since she really didn't rescuing in most of them. She definitely, was an underrated actress (too many magazine covers, made her look like a bimbo). Amy Adams girl-next-door is an interesting experiment, but I feel will run it's course by a third movie unless she can expand her character better and how many times is Superman gonna catch her falling in a movie? My 2c

(thumbs u

Teri Hatcher was great in that show... acted well, funny and good on screen chemistry. It wouldn't have worked without her. If we're approaching "middle age" with Loises, can I choose Kate Beckinsale? :luhv:;)

I don't mind Amy Adams, however I just don't think she's quite right for the roll. Maybe she'll always be Giselle? Who knows...? Her hair certainly is dark enough for Lois...

I really appreciate all the details NewEnglandGothic, Davenport, ComicConnoisseur and many others have posted in here about the best DC and Marvel animated movies.

:applause:

It's been really fun counter-programming in between the big screen movies during the past year. I envy anyone just discovering these gems from DC right now.

Gods & Monsters cover art released.

DQtSUsw.jpg

I like it!

I finally saw this for the first time.

- Elsewolrd storyline that came across as still trying to stay grounded in current state.

- Squeezed together what felt like two stories (Elseworld Justice League and Elseworld The New Gods) that didn't blend together cleanly.

- It is still an interesting concept if Superman had been raised differently, Wonder Woman being more killer than hero, and Batman as a vampire. Their strong partnership to take on the world just didn't seem to click.

- 2.5-3/5 stars for the concept, parts of the storyline and the potential this can bring. But to me, probably one of the weakest of the DC animated movies.

I'll watch it again just to see if I was not in the right frame of mind for the Elseworld story involved here.

I'll watch it again just to see if I was not in the right frame of mind for the Elseworld story involved here.
Good luck with that.

Out of curiosity I imdb'd the Director, Sam Liu, and he has a ton of credits...as a storyboard artist.

So, who knows. I just chalk the mess up to a Bruce Timm vanity project that didn't quite gel. And if anyone's earned the right to at least one 'unique vision' semi-flop, it's Bruce Timm.

Overall JL G&M suffers from two major sins, (A) no character to care about or root for, and (B) boring voicework. imho.

Good luck with that.

Out of curiosity I imdb'd the Director, Sam Liu, and he has a ton of credits...as a storyboard artist.

So, who knows. I just chalk the mess up to a Bruce Timm vanity project that didn't quite gel. And if anyone's earned the right to at least one 'unique vision' semi-flop, it's Bruce Timm.

Overall JL G&M suffers from two major sins, (A) no character to care about or root for, and (B) boring voicework. imho.

The next Batman and Damien animated movie looks interesting.

Good luck with that.

I really wanted this movie to be good. And I kept holding out for that turning point where I would see Bruce Timm greatness demonstrated.

Unfortunately, not this time around. But maybe they will give it another try with a new story.