• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

So Sue Storm's extra ability is that she's "hyper-intelligent"?!? You've got to be kidding me.

Here's a quote from Josh Trank:

"There have always been two categories of Sue – the slutty secretary version, and this brilliant scientist version. This is a really, really smart Sue, and one that is dignified and has integrity."

Always? Except for one brief moment, when Sue was corrupted (Malice), she has never been "slutty". And, while she is dedicated, loyal, protective, and powerful (as well as being dignified and having integrity), she has never been a "brilliant scientist" or "hyper-intelligent" (Except in the horrible useless fake Ultimate FF).

It's pretty clear to me that none of the people working on the film have a first-hand handle on any of the "original" characters, at least from the first 200 issues or so. I think it's great that Sue is wicked smart, but the Sue Storm I'm familiar with has never been either a "slutty secretary" or "hyper intelligent".

Sheesh.

Dan

It's pretty clear to me that none of the people working on the film have a first-hand handle on any of the "original" characters, at least from the first 200 issues or so. I think it's great that Sue is wicked smart, but the Sue Storm I'm familiar with has never been either a "slutty secretary" or "hyper intelligent".

Sheesh.

Dan

I'd say 645 issues or so.

This movie is based more on ultimate FF :shrug:
Big mistake on Fox's part. UF4 was terrible and the only bright side to that awful series was the introduction of the zombie-verse.

I actually never read any of the Ultimates series, though at one point someone had sent me Fantastic Four Ultimates 1 as a freebie.

Ultimate Fantastic Four

While the characters may bear resemblance to their normal Marvel Universe counterparts, they differ in many aspects. The origin of their powers is different and the team is much younger. The series revolves around the adventures of Reed Richards, Ben Grimm, and siblings Susan and Johnny Storm, who get engulfed in a malfunctioned teleporter experiment and get superpowers: Reed can stretch, Susan projects force fields and makes herself invisible, Johnny becomes a human torch and Ben is a super strong stone giant. The series takes place in contemporary New York.

Susan Storm / The Invisible Woman

The eldest child of renowned scientist Franklin Storm, Sue Storm inherited her father's genius at an early age. Since early childhood, she has been one of the prodigies studying and working at the Baxter Building, a midtown Manhattan government research lab. Following her father into physics, at age eight she built a sugar-power rocket and accidentally destroyed her father's car, after which she changed her focus to "inner space" biology. Romancing brilliant Baxter Building classmate Reed Richards, Sue became a formidable scientist in her own right, earning four doctorates in bio-chemical sciences.

Though her newfound fame has brought her unsought attention from the likes of billionaire playboy Tony Stark and the Atlantian criminal Namor, she remains romantically attached to Reed despite her concerns about his over devotion to science. As it was shown in Ultimate Secret #2, she's also more sexually forward than her original counterpart.

Victor van Damme / Doctor Doom

Victor van Damme was also a member of the youth research project that recruited Reed and Susan, and sees science as an art as opposed to Reed's view of it as a system. Van Damme is a descendant of Vlad Tepes, better known as Dracula, ruler of Wallachia during the fifteenth century. As such, van Damme is a member of European aristocracy and since his youth has also been a member of a secret society bent on achieving covert world domination. Van Damme saw the project as a means of achieving personal power. Notably, van Damme in this continuity is no longer the 'Marvel-wide threat' that he is in the normal continuity (that role instead went to Magneto).

Van Damme worked with Richards on his device to teleport organic matter to the N-Zone. But on the day of the teleporter's full-scale test, van Damme, arrogantly believing Reed's coordinates were incorrect, reprogrammed the coordinates of the device. Either way the experiment resulted in the accident that created the Fantastic Four. Van Damme was also affected by the experiment: Most of his body was transformed into metal, his legs were reshaped into cloven hooves and his internal organs were converted into a toxic substance. Soon afterward he returned to Latveria and led it from poverty to prosperity, changing his name to Doctor Doom. He proceeded to invest in the exploration of Atlantis, gleaning many spells and superior technology from it. He used one such spell to plant a world-threatening parasite in Johnny Storm, in order to force Reed Richards to ask Doom for help, at which point he used another spell to swap minds with Reed. His body was eventually possessed by the parasite. Doom reversed the mind-swap, and went through a portal to the Zombie universe, instead of allowing Reed to sacrifice himself to save the world.

Edited by Bosco685

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I wish someone would add a barf emoji on here

You could always do a Paulie Popcorn trailers video. There's plenty of content now to make a decision...

:baiting:

...about the trailers.

(:

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

in any WAY, SHAPE, or FORM

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I'm so glad I got Arch to add this emoticon a few years back.

:preach:

But I can understand the passion and sentiment. You liked things just the way they were from the beginning because it felt right. Meanwhile, there are going to be others that appreciate change more. That doesn't make them less of a fan because they can appreciate change over time, including modern social themes factored into the story.

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I'm so glad I got Arch to add this emoticon a few years back.

:preach:

But I can understand the passion and sentiment. You liked things just the way they were from the beginning because it felt right. Meanwhile, there are going to be others that appreciate change more. That doesn't make them less of a fan because they can appreciate change over time, including modern social themes factored into the story.

Absolutely, 100%, Incorrect.

Change is a part of life... it's a part of any creation. And when someone understand's the essence of that creation, they're able to incorporate change because it feels like the direction a character would go. Even if it's not what might be expected. They have an understanding and a respect for what was done before. Guys like Geoff Johns and Mark Waid do this very well in the comics.

Josh Trank could care less about the comics. He's even said so.

So I could care less about seeing his movie.

There are plenty of changes in superhero movies, I'm perfectly fine with that... it's a different medium...just make it enjoyable, and don't sacrifice the essence of the character(s).

But certainly don't snub your nose at them and expect me to buy into it.

Absolutely, 100%, Incorrect.

Change is a part of life... it's a part of any creation. And when someone understand's the essence of that creation, they're able to incorporate change because it feels like the direction a character would go. Even if it's not what might be expected. They have an understanding and a respect for what was done before. Guys like Geoff Johns and Mark Waid do this very well in the comics.

Josh Trank could care less about the comics. He's even said so.

So I could care less about seeing his movie.

There are plenty of changes in superhero movies, I'm perfectly fine with that... it's a different medium...just make it enjoyable, and don't sacrifice the essence of the character(s).

But certainly don't snub your nose at them and expect me to buy into it.

I'm 100% incorrect on how passionate you are over the original Fantastic Four team design and history? To me, you have really driven that point home a few times now. Even made it a point to call out repeatedly how this movie has nothing to do with the Fantastic Four team you thoroughly appreciate. How is that 100% inaccurate?

I'm not saying your expectations for a comic book film are not important. They are. But so is everyone else's if they feel this new version fits their expectations. Just for you, this doesn't cut it. I think I figured that out long before this post.