• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Trailers look great. Can't wait to see the movie.

Even if the trailers were not good, I'd see the movie (and would have looked forward to it).

I understand when ppl get upset when a movie strays "too far" (subjective) from source material, but I don't.

There is enough room within my appreciation for both the source material and the artistic license used when making a movie.

Also, I think there's something to be said regarding taking just elements of the source material, for exampled tone (from Ultimate FF), and not necessarily facts and exact storylines. I think that's where this movie will nail it.

I read literally just the Marvel Zombies issue of UFF and LOVED it, and not just for the zombies parts.

I guess what it comes down to for me, is that I have absolutely no desire to see an "alternate reality" b.s. ultimate version of the FF (baby team members, non-lovable Thing with no junk, black Human Torch, weird metal Geek Squad Dr. Doom, Thing's soprano voice). There are 645 issues of main run FF. What, they can't find any good storylines from those 645 issues? I want to see a good FF movie before I'm dead - the only way that is going to happen is if no one pays money to see this movie. Please don't.

I'm always fascinated how non marvel/Disney movies are picked apart for any detail that isn't exactly as the comic but is understood/accepted when Marvel does it in their own movies

Ant-man movie - focusing on Scott Lang and not Hank Pym

age of ultron - ultron created by Tony Stark

The exception is probably the Mandarin cause there was no way to defend that

People are picking those apart, but those facts seem to not be dwelled on for too long, and I think it's because there's enough other stuff going on for those movies to defend such changes. And both changes were made for very specific reasons.

1) Hank Pym wasn't introduced because Marvel Studios had no reason to believe Ant-Man would do well for movie audiences until after seeing the combination of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America (at a minimum) do well. BUT, Hank Pym is undeniably important in the formation of the Avengers, so they are forced to retroactively include him in the backstory (and us common folk will find out exactly how in the next two days!)

2) See above; Hank Pym isn't a major player yet, but Ultron needs to be, so it's natural to turn to the next top scientific minds as creators: Banner and Stark. PLUS, Stark's motivations developed since Iron Man 1 make logical sense when considering the leadup to Ultron's creation.

Edited by Liaton-9000

If this:

Though the studio is reportedly not as pleased with Trank's first movie as we might have been led to believe, they still see it as a "decent introduction to the new direction its characters will be taking" and are looking for a distinct vision" to take things to the next level.

Is really true it means even Fox doesn't love the new film.

A decent version? $100's of Millions spent on something decent? :facepalm:

You do realize that was quoted from an anonymous source, right?

Fox Wants Bryan Singer To Direct FANTASTIC FOUR 2 On The Way To X-Men Crossover (Exclusive)

According to my sources, Fox is looking to move quickly following the release of Josh Trank’s FANTASTIC FOUR reboot at the beginning of August toward making a sequel happen, sans Trank. While they are not as high on the completed film as they were the concept when they first gave it the green light, the studio understands the value the Fantastic Four holds for them in the grand scheme of things. I’ve been told they view FANTASTIC FOUR as a decent introduction to the new direction its characters will be taking, one good enough to build upon rather than scrap in favor of yet another restart in a few years. And with the bad blood Fox has bubbling with Marvel, given their squashing of the X-Men and FF brands in recent months, you won’t see them working together to incorporate them into the same cinematic universe anytime soon.

Since you mentioned twice 'Fox' may have said this, I'm only pointing that out so an anonymous source doesn't become reality what is truly going on. What I could see happening if Fox is lining up the two franchises to meet in the end is having one director pulling the whole picture together that is a seasoned movie-maker they can count on with such a massive undertaking.

It's still something in the making what really took place, and is going to take place. I'm just not sure yet. Though there are some nasty rumors about Trank over the months.

You do realize that when I initially quoted 9.8 and his 'decent' comment yesterday I qualified it with 'If this is true', right?

Nobody offered a rebuttal so I just assumed it was true.

But I still think the movie is going to be a stinker, or barely a pass.

That's why I noted "...'Fox' may have said..." in clarifying this is an anonymous source. This could be anyone at Fox giving their opinion on the studio's satisfaction with the movie.

This movie could be a bomb, or not. We'll know soon. People picking this apart because it is not their traditional F4 seem fixated on (1) The Thing has no pants, (2) Johnny Storm is not Caucasian, (3) Sue is adopted, (4) the origin storyline doesn't seem to match the original material - more the Ultimates version.

I just don't think there should be such a concern if others like what they are seeing. At least, what has been shown in the original and last trailers.

This is the voice of the Thing I remember...

So if the movie doesn't follow your traditional interpretation of the Fantastic Four, you feel the best approach is to question people that feel positive about the movie until they realize this is not your interpretation of the Fantastic Four?

No, that's just the voice I remember of the Thing.

Come on. I know you have a better approach to a topic than that. And I'm not saying I want to see something way far off from what I used to read from the 70's and 80's. But I would be okay with the sci-fi approach IF Fox makes it exciting and somewhat associated with the books.

I think of all the things I've found unappealing in the presentation of this movie and the stories surrounding it that have made me think it's not worth my $10 to go see it, that having the Thing with no pants, and speaking like a normal 'youth', would be the most distracting to me.

There are certain core specifics to any great story, and whereas changes and updates and modernization are all going to happen... some of those core specifics probably shouldn't be tinkered with....

So far the Human Torch, when he's 'flamed on', looks kind of cool.

That's not enough for me to go see this.

I'm always fascinated how non marvel/Disney movies are picked apart for any detail that isn't exactly as the comic but is understood/accepted when Marvel does it in their own movies

When Marvel takes a bad path in a comic it can be easily ret-conned, sometimes in the same year it was fumbled.

When a movie does it, it could be 5-10 years before we see a change. It's been 8 years since the last Fantastic Four debacle.

And comic book fans, many times feel the best way to open people up to this world of characters is to show them the movie... there still isn't a good FF movie we can put in front of someone and say, "here, this is the comic book team that started it all..."

And I think plenty of superhero movies have had criticism regarding changes and story upgrades... people went nuts on forums over Spider-man's 'organic' web shooting and Batman's 'nipple suit'... the greater the change, the bugger the bellyaching...

But the thing that usually quieted it was seeing that first good trailer... something this movie hasn't done. The trailers have just raised more doubts and questions.

If this:

Though the studio is reportedly not as pleased with Trank's first movie as we might have been led to believe, they still see it as a "decent introduction to the new direction its characters will be taking" and are looking for a distinct vision" to take things to the next level.

Is really true it means even Fox doesn't love the new film.

A decent version? $100's of Millions spent on something decent? :facepalm:

You do realize that was quoted from an anonymous source, right?

Fox Wants Bryan Singer To Direct FANTASTIC FOUR 2 On The Way To X-Men Crossover (Exclusive)

According to my sources, Fox is looking to move quickly following the release of Josh Trank’s FANTASTIC FOUR reboot at the beginning of August toward making a sequel happen, sans Trank. While they are not as high on the completed film as they were the concept when they first gave it the green light, the studio understands the value the Fantastic Four holds for them in the grand scheme of things. I’ve been told they view FANTASTIC FOUR as a decent introduction to the new direction its characters will be taking, one good enough to build upon rather than scrap in favor of yet another restart in a few years. And with the bad blood Fox has bubbling with Marvel, given their squashing of the X-Men and FF brands in recent months, you won’t see them working together to incorporate them into the same cinematic universe anytime soon.

Since you mentioned twice 'Fox' may have said this, I'm only pointing that out so an anonymous source doesn't become reality what is truly going on. What I could see happening if Fox is lining up the two franchises to meet in the end is having one director pulling the whole picture together that is a seasoned movie-maker they can count on with such a massive undertaking.

It's still something in the making what really took place, and is going to take place. I'm just not sure yet. Though there are some nasty rumors about Trank over the months.

You do realize that when I initially quoted 9.8 and his 'decent' comment yesterday I qualified it with 'If this is true', right?

Nobody offered a rebuttal so I just assumed it was true.

But I still think the movie is going to be a stinker, or barely a pass.

Yep, and I'll bet when this movie is quickly done at theaters we'll hear all of those worries confirmed from the studio.

As I've pointed out earlier in this thread, the actions we're seeing by the studio (reshooting scenes, re-editing, damage control for rumors, new trailers with different takes on the material, gossip leaks) is consistent with what studios do when they're quietily panicked about a film's imminent failure.

Fox is already pretty sure they DON'T have a hit.

Final international trailer.

The Thing spoke in this trailer and he didn't have a gravely voice. He just had the actors regular voice. It didn't seem to fit. The guys body gets turned to living stone, how can he have the same regular voice?

In my opinion, the Thing is the heart of the FF, the torch is cool, but it's really the Thing that holds it all together, and is the most appealing of the bunch.

I thought they captured the essence of the thing perfectly in the first two movies, the voice was right, the sense of humor and general attitude was spot on. Now if only he had not been a midget in a rubber suit it would have been perfect.

I'm not seeing the Thing I know from the comics in these trailers so far, and for the last time, will they please put some shorts on him.

My post was more about the # of posts. Not about the validity of the change.

There are 145 pages in this thread, if I were to remove the # of negative posts about this movie it would probably be 20.

People are picking those apart, but those facts seem to not be dwelled on for too long, and I think it's because there's enough other stuff going on for those movies to defend such changes. And both changes were made for very specific reasons.

1) Hank Pym wasn't introduced because Marvel Studios had no reason to believe Ant-Man would do well for movie audiences until after seeing the combination of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America (at a minimum) do well. BUT, Hank Pym is undeniably important in the formation of the Avengers, so they are forced to retroactively include him in the backstory (and us common folk will find out exactly how in the next two days!)

2) See above; Hank Pym isn't a major player yet, but Ultron needs to be, so it's natural to turn to the next top scientific minds as creators: Banner and Stark. PLUS, Stark's motivations developed since Iron Man 1 make logical sense when considering the leadup to Ultron's creation.

Those are minor compared to how the Avengers were formed in the first place. SHIELD didn't form the Avengers via some initiative, the Avengers got together without SHIELD's involvement. Tony Stark footed the bill for the Avengers. Jarvis was Tony Stark's butler, not a computer. The Avengers found Captain America's frozen body, not SHIELD.

My biggest problem with the MCU has to do with SHIELD being the driver behind all of it. Apparently, the Marvel cinematic superheroes wouldn't be able to function without handlers. And Marvel has gone to great lengths to align the current comics with the movies.

We have people complaining about using UFF as the source for the FF movie, look what Marvel did to the Avengers. Read the first 200+ issues of Avengers and show me how what we are seeing in the movies has anything to do with the comics.

Edited by rjrjr

My post was more about the # of posts. Not about the validity of the change.

There are 145 pages in this thread, if I were to remove the # of negative posts about this movie the trailersit would probably be 20.

Fixed it.

What are peoples thoughts on this movie affecting the prices of FF books?

Since the response has been pretty negative so far, it doesn't seem like there has been any kind of a movie bump in prices.

So, WHAT IF, the movie turns out to be a huge hit(just assume that it will be for the sake of this conversation) do you think it will bump prices on silver age FF's?

+1

Agreed, very insulting to fans. However, I'm not entirely convinced we won't be thrown a curveball with a surprise appearance from the real Mandarin in any of the upcoming films, if not a truly surprising Iron Man 4 reveal.

Unpopular Random opinion alert.

I haven't read a lot of Iron Man, don't know much about the Mandarin. But I did enjoy the Mandarin in the young Iron Man cartoon tv show (can't remember what its called). BUT in Iron Man 3, I surprisingly LOVED the Mandarin twist. I thought it was funny and smart, a very lighthearted tongue-in-cheek 'suck it fanboys!' moment (which for this purpose wasn't me!).

+1

Agreed, very insulting to fans. However, I'm not entirely convinced we won't be thrown a curveball with a surprise appearance from the real Mandarin in any of the upcoming films, if not a truly surprising Iron Man 4 reveal.

Unpopular Random opinion alert.

I haven't read a lot of Iron Man, don't know much about the Mandarin. But I did enjoy the Mandarin in the young Iron Man cartoon tv show (can't remember what its called). BUT in Iron Man 3, I surprisingly LOVED the Mandarin twist. I thought it was funny and smart, a very lighthearted tongue-in-cheek 'suck it fanboys!' moment (which for this purpose wasn't me!).

:applause: