• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

What is it though with folks that SO want this to be a bomb? It's like your greatest wish come true. Because it is produced by Fox? Blame Marvel decisions of the past for that situation.

I haven't seen this much hate for a movie since Man of Steel when people convinced themselves Superman had never killed someone before. It has that same sense of desire to see the movie fail.

Nope it's not because it is Fox. It's because of the choices made by Fox and the director. I'd actually prefer it if Fox could get it right (or even better - cooperate with Marvel) then it going back fully to Marvel, since there would be more comic movies to watch.

The reason that people have so much hate is simple, they perverted something cherished.

I think even for the average comic fan (non-die hard FF), the original storyline/characters are something sacred, mainly because of Lee/Kirby and the fact that it was first. You can change it up a little bit to have it make sense on the screen, but they went way too far.

Edited by Werner_Von_Doom

Nope it's not because it is Fox. It's because of the choices made by Fox and the director. I'd actually prefer it if Fox could get it right (or even better - cooperate with Marvel) then it going back fully to Marvel, since their would be more comic movies to watch.

The reason that people have so much hate is simple, they perverted something cherished.

I think even for the average comic fan (non-die hard FF), the original storyline/characters are something sacred, mainly because of Lee/Kirby and the fact that it was first. You can change it up a little bit to have it make sense on the screen, but they went way too far.

Let's turn that frown upside down.

:foryou:

What is it though with folks that SO want this to be a bomb? It's like your greatest wish come true. Because it is produced by Fox? Blame Marvel decisions of the past for that situation.

I haven't seen this much hate for a movie since Man of Steel when people convinced themselves Superman had never killed someone before. It has that same sense of desire to see the movie fail.

what's w/ incessant pom poming? i haven't seen or heard one thing that indicates this will be any good. i don't buy every single krap comic that comes out because i want to support the hobby. i sure ain't spending my $ at the theater if this looks like it's IM2 or IM3 terrible. give me something of GOTG or Cap:WS quality and i'll happily support it. until evidence otherwise, this has the same stench as ASM2.

hat's w/ incessant pom poming? i haven't seen or heard one thing that indicates this will be any good. i don't buy every single krap comic that comes out because i want to support the hobby. i sure ain't spending my $ at the theater if this looks like it's IM2 or IM3 terrible. give me something of GOTG or Cap:WS quality and i'll happily support it. until evidence otherwise, this has the same stench as ASM2.

Pom poming? How about it is people posting articles, and right behind that will be the same folks making it clear 'Yeah, when I said I hated it before, I really meant it!'

So no pom-poming. Just observing a lot of hate towards something none of us have seen in its entirety yet.

what's w/ incessant pom poming? i haven't seen or heard one thing that indicates this will be any good. i don't buy every single krap comic that comes out because i want to support the hobby. i sure ain't spending my $ at the theater if this looks like it's IM2 or IM3 terrible. give me something of GOTG or Cap:WS quality and i'll happily support it. until evidence otherwise, this has the same stench as ASM2.

I liked ASM2 :sorry:

CGC Boards = Marvel Fan Boards?

The bias on these boards at times is similar to those found on Bleeding Cool and other "news" sites.

Edited by rjrjr

What's funny is that Sue Storm in the movie carries the same name as Johnny Storm in the movie and he's black! Can blame Fox for that one! I hope this movie bombs so the rights will revert back to Marvel.

So, you cannot imagine any circumstances where this situation might be possible? hm

hat's w/ incessant pom poming? i haven't seen or heard one thing that indicates this will be any good. i don't buy every single krap comic that comes out because i want to support the hobby. i sure ain't spending my $ at the theater if this looks like it's IM2 or IM3 terrible. give me something of GOTG or Cap:WS quality and i'll happily support it. until evidence otherwise, this has the same stench as ASM2.

Pom poming? How about it is people posting articles, and right behind that will be the same folks making it clear 'Yeah, when I said I hated it before, I really meant it!'

So no pom-poming. Just observing a lot of hate towards something none of us have seen in its entirety yet.

You seriously can't admit you've been cheerleading for this movie?

Cheerleading? No.

Being open to the Ultimate Fantastic Four interpretation? Yes, if done right.

Have you not made it a point to be very negative toward this movie?

Cheerleading? No.

Being open to the Ultimate Fantastic Four interpretation? Yes, if done right.

Back in February 2014, very early on in this thread, despite the horrible, lame sounding announcements we'd gotten thus far, you stated your position very clearly:

I just want to see this movie surprise us all, and be the hit we may not be predicting yet.

As the negativity increased, you're position to defend it did as well. Not because you saw good things from the previews or interviews necessarily, but because you felt people weren't giving it a fair shake.

You've said before, you want to support these comic book movies so they'll keep making more comic book movies.

And that sounds like what a cheerleader does.

Have you not made it a point to be very negative toward this movie?

Everything they've shown me so far has had a negative impact on me, and I've responded as such.

I have no problem admitting the obvious.

At one point in the thread I said:

Well, I'm not happy that the poor decisions they've made have led to, what I believe will be a failure, and ultimately a blemish on the 'idea' that the Fantastic Four is a viable franchise to make a movie about.

That sucks.

I'd love for them to make a great Fantastic Four movie.

To me, they're not taking the steps they need to, to make that happen.

Which has led to a negative view of it on my part.

In going back and reading through this thread, I found this prediction I made about the movie:

From 04/07/15

Something is amiss. It's not a guessing game, this is the way it works in Hollywood.

Next step is they hold it back from pre-release screening to critics and they drag their feet on what the budget is, OR they go back and do more filming to try and spice it up.

lol All three!

Back in February 2014, very early on in this thread, despite the horrible, lame sounding announcements we'd gotten thus far, you stated your position very clearly:

I just want to see this movie surprise us all, and be the hit we may not be predicting yet.

As the negativity increased, you're position to defend it did as well. Not because you saw good things from the previews or interviews necessarily, but because you felt people weren't giving it a fair shake.

Chuck, I'm thinking you missed some posts where even I was getting concerned with what was coming out of the rumor mill.

#8163685 - Tue Nov 11 2014 03:50 AM

This just in: Galactus makes an appearance in the movie.

Galactus is a short older man with a big belly who flips burgers at "Planetary Burger". He provides comedy relief as the FF regularly meet for coffee at the joint while they discuss the day's events. Galactus eats the restaurant's signature "Earth Burger" through the day as the server ("Norrin") takes customers orders. Eventually the FF try to get Galactus to stop eating earth burgers so he doesn't get fired.

Reed eventually succeeds by using the salt shaker (the ultimate nullifier) on the burgers to make them too salty, as Galactus tries to keep his blood pressure in check to some extent.

I say give it a chance, sounds somewhat faithful to the comic.

Bet you get a scripting credit as this sounds like the direction this creative team is going.

- Don't have the actors read the comics, as that would confuse them.

- Don't wear the uniforms, as that would confuse movie-goers.

- Don't have Doom be Doom - he's a deadly social media wizard instead.

What a bummer this is sounding to be. But watch. H.E.R.B.I.E. the Robot will show up, as Trank liked him as a kid.

:(

Or this.

#8177776 - Mon Nov 17 2014 07:04 PM

Uh-oh.

SPOILER WARNING: Is This The Entire Plot Of Josh Trank's THE FANTASTIC FOUR?

Reed is a genius convenience store clerk with Ben. Reed's parents don't care about him, and Ben's dad is abusive. They're good friends and have each other's backs. Reed writes a paper for community college on teleportation that attracts the attention of Dr. Franklin Storm, CEO of the Baxter Building research center.

Storm has a son, Johnny, and an adoptive daughter, Sue, whose father, Storm's old partner, died in an experiment gone wrong. Johnny and Sue are party kids, and Sue is particularly disdainful of science. Reed and Sue don't get along at first...

lol I hope that is true.

I couldn't copy any more of that. It was too much. Too much!

But then the teaser and trailer came out, and it appeared to be a potentially better production than was hinted at by the rumors. So your stance may be 'I hate this movie - you should too'. It's coming across like that now. I've had my own concerns with what the final output is going to be early on. But I'm willing to wait for the reviews to hear otherwise. Sorry that doesn't fit the story you just attempted to tell about me and this movie.

Now can we get back to the movie, rather you digging up any of my old posts to prove I am a cheerleading, mindless fanboy? Thanks.

I'm pro this movie for the following reasons:

1) The trailers make it look fun, & well worth my $12 & 2 hours of my time

2) The last two movies sucked, so there's nowhere to go but up. FF 2 was X-Men: Last Stand bad.

3) I like all four of the principal actors -- they've all proven they have legit chops in prior projects. I'd love to see anyone try to defend Jessica Alba's acting over Kate Mara's.

4) I liked the first 30 issues of Ultimate FF, and trust Mark Millar's film track record so far. (By the way, his Kingsmen: The Secret Service is another surprise hit. $128 million domestic, $407 million worldwide -- y'all really think FF will do worse?)

5) Mostly, though -- and why I'm being so vocal in this thread is I _seriously_ don't get the irrational hate on this movie, which _nobody_ has seen yet. No, it's not Disney -- but (as stated above) if Marvel had managed their affairs properly, they wouldn't have had to sell off the rights to their three biggest properties in the first place.

And Fox gave us the first two X-Men films, which proved comic book movies could be viable long before Disney's master plan. They also gave us the last two X-Men movies, which were great.

6) So Jonny Storm's black? So's Nick Fury. Get over it. Heck -- I even thought Michael Clarke Duncan was inspired as The Kingpin back in the Daredevil.

Sure -- I may be proven wrong in a week, and it could turn out to be a turd worse than even FF 2 (Galatcus as a m---- f---- cloud).

But until then, haters, go ahead:

FLAME ON!

Chuck, I'm thinking you missed some posts where even I was getting concerned with what was coming out of the rumor mill.

#8163685 - Tue Nov 11 2014 03:50 AM

This just in: Galactus makes an appearance in the movie.

Galactus is a short older man with a big belly who flips burgers at "Planetary Burger". He provides comedy relief as the FF regularly meet for coffee at the joint while they discuss the day's events. Galactus eats the restaurant's signature "Earth Burger" through the day as the server ("Norrin") takes customers orders. Eventually the FF try to get Galactus to stop eating earth burgers so he doesn't get fired.

Reed eventually succeeds by using the salt shaker (the ultimate nullifier) on the burgers to make them too salty, as Galactus tries to keep his blood pressure in check to some extent.

I say give it a chance, sounds somewhat faithful to the comic.

Bet you get a scripting credit as this sounds like the direction this creative team is going.

- Don't have the actors read the comics, as that would confuse them.

- Don't wear the uniforms, as that would confuse movie-goers.

- Don't have Doom be Doom - he's a deadly social media wizard instead.

What a bummer this is sounding to be. But watch. H.E.R.B.I.E. the Robot will show up, as Trank liked him as a kid.

:(

Or this.

#8177776 - Mon Nov 17 2014 07:04 PM

Uh-oh.

SPOILER WARNING: Is This The Entire Plot Of Josh Trank's THE FANTASTIC FOUR?

Reed is a genius convenience store clerk with Ben. Reed's parents don't care about him, and Ben's dad is abusive. They're good friends and have each other's backs. Reed writes a paper for community college on teleportation that attracts the attention of Dr. Franklin Storm, CEO of the Baxter Building research center.

Storm has a son, Johnny, and an adoptive daughter, Sue, whose father, Storm's old partner, died in an experiment gone wrong. Johnny and Sue are party kids, and Sue is particularly disdainful of science. Reed and Sue don't get along at first...

lol I hope that is true.

I couldn't copy any more of that. It was too much. Too much!

But then the teaser and trailer came out, and it appeared to be a potentially better production than was hinted at by the rumors. So your stance may be 'I hate this movie - you should too'. It's coming across like that now. I've had my own concerns with what the final output is going to be early on. But I'm willing to wait for the reviews to hear otherwise. Sorry that doesn't fit the story you just attempted to tell about me and this movie.

Now can we get back to the movie, rather you digging up any of my old posts to prove I am a cheerleading, mindless fanboy? Thanks.

Well, let's be honest, even I, in 2014 didn't have my mind made up yet... and even as late as January of 2015 I said:

I get the idea that they'll have the spirit of the idea there.. so I plan on seeing it, and judging it based upon it's entertainment value. The minute I hear Radioactive by Imagine Dragons though, I'm out of there.

You believe what they've shown since then looks better than you expected. You're free to feel that way and express it here. As much as you want (and have).

Many others DON'T and they're free to express it here as well. As much as they want.

But you and a few others have strongly pointed out what you believe to be an unfair negativity toward the movie that you're unhappy with and despite anyone explaining their position you've maintained that stance even as late as a few posts back.

So if you have a problem with someone saying you're 'cheerleading', rather than engaging in a discussion about why the information/trailers leading up to the movie are good or bad; then understand when you make blanket statements like this:

It will open you up to that.

So we're clear: No one called you a 'mindless fanboy', they just accused you of cheerleading because of your strong reaction toward others' negative opinions of the movie.

You made up your mind sometime in 2015 that you want to give this movie a chance.

Up until today, no one criticized YOU for that. The movie yes, YOU, no.

YOU have made a few statements criticizing OTHERS for their negative stance on the movie. Just yesterday was the latest.

So someone responded, by taking that as cheerleading.

You want the movie to succeed. You're annoyed by those who don't.

You express it.

(shrug)

I'm pro this movie for the following reasons:

1) The trailers make it look fun, & well worth my $12 & 2 hours of my time

2) The last two movies sucked, so there's nowhere to go but up. FF 2 was X-Men: Last Stand bad.

3) I like all four of the principal actors -- they've all proven they have legit chops in prior projects. I'd love to see anyone try to defend Jessica Alba's acting over Kate Mara's.

4) I liked the first 30 issues of Ultimate FF, and trust Mark Millar's film track record so far. (By the way, his Kingsmen: The Secret Service is another surprise hit. $128 million domestic, $407 million worldwide -- y'all really think FF will do worse?)

5) Mostly, though -- and why I'm being so vocal in this thread is I _seriously_ don't get the irrational hate on this movie, which _nobody_ has seen yet. No, it's not Disney -- but (as stated above) if Marvel had managed their affairs properly, they wouldn't have had to sell off the rights to their three biggest properties in the first place.

And Fox gave us the first two X-Men films, which proved comic book movies could be viable long before Disney's master plan. They also gave us the last two X-Men movies, which were great.

6) So Jonny Storm's black? So's Nick Fury. Get over it. Heck -- I even thought Michael Clarke Duncan was inspired as The Kingpin back in the Daredevil.

Sure -- I may be proven wrong in a week, and it could turn out to be a turd worse than even FF 2 (Galatcus as a m---- f---- cloud).

But until then, haters, go ahead:

FLAME ON!

I'll take Jessica Alba on my movie screen for 2 hours over Kate Mara anytime! lol