• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

This just confirms what a lot of people knew from the beginning and that was fox had no real intention of making a great movie, just a placeholder to keep the f4 name from Disney/Marvel.

Being a lifelong fan and also wanting to know for myself how the movie was, I bit the bullet and went to see it today after seeing people say it was better than the reviews reflected.

I'll agree with most people that the scathing reviews do not well represent how the movie actually feels when you're watching it.

One thing (among many) that the critics do reflect accurately is the change in pace for the movie. The first 2/3's of the movie are reasonably well done, well paced and give you a nice feel to the film. You have the sombre, soft-core horror feel where something is brewing and it reaches you. The shadows, the music, the pacing and the tone of the scenes during and after they newly transform are well done. In fact, I'd say those scenes are VERY well done and somewhat reminded me of Prometheus when the horrific things start to happen (storyline / plotline disputes aside, I'm just talking about the tone of the films). You feel for the transformed heroes as you realize what they have become.

Even leading up to the transformation in Planet Zero (the Negative Zone doh! ) , there is a good pace to the film and neat little easter eggs dropped all along the way.

I thought that Planet Zero looked terrific and spot on.

One thing that lacks severely though is personal connection to the characters and their connection to each other. In my opinion there was not enough independent character development for each character and I get the feeling they missed something to unite them as a team the way I remember them being united in FF #1. They never really bonded. Even between Sue and Johnny, they acted more like high school friends than brother and sister.

The special effects are a massive leap forward over the original FF films (obviously) but even then, I felt like they made a few blunders.

Torch looked great. I was flooded with comic memories every time I saw him.

Invisible Girl was decent (though Kate Mara wouldn't be my 1st choice) and Miles, while stretchy, was nowhere near what I'd expect from the comics (I picture Reed wrapping himself around some large structure dozens of times to keep it from falling). All in all, you barely get to see 3 of them use their powers- WHICH IS WHAT THE MOVIE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ALL ABOUT! :pullhair:

I was not very pleased with the way the Thing looked. He's supposed to be the 'Ever Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing' with a certain handsomeness and charisma about him but I couldn't help but keep noticing that his head was too small above his brow, his trademark brow was missing and he had no butt. And the package deal? Yeah, I don't understand why he didn't need clothing. I will admit that even though the final product didn't look the way I wanted it to, his mannerisms, his voice and is profile (he looked like the typical, small nosed, handsome Thing when his head was turned sideways) was well done.

The short Thing battle scenes that you see were the highlight of the movie to me. :cloud9:

I thought Doom was a total waste. The reasoning for his 'look' was a long shot. The hoodie he wore was a throwback to the FF books but completely unnecessary and out of place and even way the name came to be was hokey IMO.

Which leads me to the 2nd half or final 1/3 of the movie - completely out of place in this movie as far as story pacing and story quality. You feel like you're watching a different movie.

The fight scene seemed rushed, the transitions and reasoning were not very well entrenched and it all somehow seemed forced.

They should have made this a 2 hour film and paced things out a bit better.

And wasted in my opinion.

Introducing Planet Zero (the Negative Zone :cry: ) could have opened a WORLD of possibilities - like Annihilus, Blastaar, etc but instead they rehashed Doom with a terrible origin story, terrible costume, terrible rushed battle scene.

Oh yeah, and Sue never went to get her powers in the first place. :facepalm:

It was obvious that whoever wrote the -script knew very little about the FF's near 60 year history. They missed the magic, the chemistry and the root of what made them the FF.

I'd put this on par with Green Lantern. It had it's moments as a movie, it had it's moments for fanboys, and while it wasn't a total bomb, it was not great based on what a comic book movie could be. Fox threw out an opportunity to make a mark and instead they made a small splash.

If you want to see a few cool scenes you can see the movie but if you wait for Netflix you won't be missing much.

The 13th Warrior is just an amazing film.

I usually don't like deconstructed myths, but this one is so well done, as is the novel by Crichton.

I need to see this now. hm
Holy s :censored: !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

It's the biggest box-office disappointment of all time (when inflation is adjusted).

I'm telling you, this movie had packed showings in my neck of the woods. But then again, so did The Edge and that didn't do so well either. Must be a regional thing. hm

The 13th Warrior is just an amazing film.

I usually don't like deconstructed myths, but this one is so well done, as is the novel by Crichton.

I need to see this now. hm
Holy s :censored: !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

It's the biggest box-office disappointment of all time (when inflation is adjusted).

I'm telling you, this movie had packed showings in my neck of the woods. But then again, so did The Edge and that didn't do so well either. Must be a regional thing. hm

Demythologized Beowulf is a tough sell to American audiences.

I've probably seen it a dozen or more times; so good.

I skipped that movie because I could never stand Antonio Banderas

He's really great in it. He plays an outsider, and thus is proxy for the viewer, fully bringing us into a rich, distinct culture.

This also confirms some of the original trailer we saw with Trank and the horror aspect vs the rap/pop music in the later trailers

Oh Fox!

It also shows how subjective people can be. The bad news can affect people's ratings.

I don't think it's a RT 9% movie but I also don't think it's a 70% movie.

It will probably settle realistically somewhere in the 30% range but there are spots that are much better than that. Unfortunately, people don't pay to just see a few good scenes.

He's really great in it. He plays an outsider, and thus is proxy for the viewer, fully bringing us into a rich, distinct culture.

I may have to watch it on your birthday, then.

I may have to watch it on your birthday, then.

I'm not sure if I'm still allowed to make jokes referencing uckcha's irthdayba.

just watched the movie download. Too many gaps in basic logic :makepoint: between Earth and the Negative Zone in the last 1/3 of the movie. I never read the Ultimate FF, so don't know if Ultimate totally changed Dr Doom's origin from the Lee/Kirby version.

Better to watch Trank's Chronicle on dvd or download for a decent superhero story set in Seattle, WA with well developed characters and logical explanation of learning to use new powers.

Why do I have a feeling I know exactly what the fans will say?

:facepalm:

Fox Asking Fans What To Do With 'Fantastic Four' Franchise

http://peeltheorange.net/fox-asking-fans-what-to-do-with-fantastic-four-franchise/

Yeah,make a DREDD 2 :insane:

I mean sell the film rights back to Marvel :sumo:

Dredd 2 would be awesome if the same creative team were somehow still involved too.

I did a House of Corrections interview and I swear they wanted guards like Karl Urban's character. Here I am on Facebook taking care of baby raccoons. I didn't stand a chance to look tough after a quick background check. lol

"Sorry Jerel, you're way too nice"

Karl Urban is my hero. It must have been such a hard balance for that character to not look like a complete jerk on screen. But there he was, evolving his character arc (with subtle body movement) under a helmet during the whole movie!

I know it bombed with the power of a thousand suns, :cry::pullhair: BuuuuuT! It makes my heart grow 3 times it's size to know DREDD kicked the F4's among both critics and audiences.

Just look at the differance.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

Why do I have a feeling I know exactly what the fans will say?

:facepalm:

Fox Asking Fans What To Do With 'Fantastic Four' Franchise

http://peeltheorange.net/fox-asking-fans-what-to-do-with-fantastic-four-franchise/

Yeah,make a DREDD 2 :insane:

I mean sell the film rights back to Marvel :sumo:

Dredd 2 would be awesome if the same creative team were somehow still involved too.

I did a House of Corrections interview and I swear they wanted guards like Karl Urban's character. Here I am on Facebook taking care of baby raccoons. I didn't stand a chance to look tough after a quick background check. lol

"Sorry Jerel, you're way too nice"

Karl Urban is my hero. It must have been such a hard balance for that character to not look like a complete jerk on screen. But there he was, evolving his character arc (with subtle body movement) under a helmet during the whole movie!

I know it bombed with the power of a thousand suns, :cry::pullhair: BuuuuuT! It makes my heart grow 3 times it's size to know DREDD kicked the F4's among both critics and audiences.

Just look at the differance.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

The difference is the makers of DREDD stayed true to the comics,where as the makers of the FF reboot didn't even let the actors read any FF books for reference.