• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

From 04/07/15

If a studio can't promote a superhero movie in this day and age they either don't know what they're doing or the movie is a turd they're hiding in hopes that they get some ticket buyer's on name alone.

If you look at the ad campaign's Fox had for their 2015 release's so far - Taken 3, Kingsman, and Unfinished Business - it was a media blanket that started months before they came out. Where's the FF?

Anyone who's seen a movie in the last month has seen an EXTENSIVE trailer for Hitman: Agent 47 that shows a ton of action. It's a FULL trailer. And it comes out almost a month after the FF.

Something is amiss. It's not a guessing game, this is the way it works in Hollywood.

Next step is they hold it back from pre-release screening to critics and they drag their feet on what the budget is, OR they go back and do more filming to try and spice it up.

hm

Not every movie that does this is doomed.

Poltergeist

Rumored Spielberg took over for Tobe Hooper.

That turned out fine (the reboot coming out this summer), even despite one of the stars getting murdered by her jealous boyfriend before or after (I forget) the film's immediate release. If that happened nowadays though...

Don't worry about the box-office numbers. It still was a good movie, I'm still scared of clown dolls to this day even.

Nowhere near the same.

This movie WISHES it could get some publicity like Spielberg might take over the movie. And Spielberg's forceful presence on Poltergeist had nothing to do with Hooper's inadequacies. That's just Spielberg.

And Tobe Hooper had already created a masterpiece of horror in Texas Chainsaw Massacre which did $30M ($143M adjusted for 2015) on practically no budget.

Poltergeist had a budget of 10.7 million dollars ($26.2 adjusted for 2015).... that's a spit in the bucket.

Fantastic Four is at least $200 million and they're still not even sure how to promote it.

This movie has disaster written all over it.

I have to agree with you.

Marvel and DC are pumping tidbits of movies that are still years away - YEARS - and pumping them hard. This movie which is due a few months away is still a mystery.

More than that, I tend to have a nose for movies (at least I think I do). It's sort of a 'six sense' I use for picking movies and it's generally reasonably accurate. Movies that I really want to see generally end up being at least decent movies (both by my opinion and the general public's).

Those that smell like a stinker to me are generally real stinkers (like Ghost Rider).

All I really need to do is see a few pics from the movie, see who is acting in it and watch a trailer and I get a pretty good idea of what will or won't be good. If it's not a well known franchise where the name doesn't carry any weight sometimes even just hearing the title is often enough to give it away for me.

I can safely say that for this movie I have not been impressed. I'm going to predict that it's probably not going to be awesome. Real shame since the FF was one of my favorite titles since I was a kid.

Yep.

I BADLY want to see a good FF movie. But not so badly that I'll waste my money on something the studio can't even sell me on.

From 04/07/15

If a studio can't promote a superhero movie in this day and age they either don't know what they're doing or the movie is a turd they're hiding in hopes that they get some ticket buyer's on name alone.

If you look at the ad campaign's Fox had for their 2015 release's so far - Taken 3, Kingsman, and Unfinished Business - it was a media blanket that started months before they came out. Where's the FF?

Anyone who's seen a movie in the last month has seen an EXTENSIVE trailer for Hitman: Agent 47 that shows a ton of action. It's a FULL trailer. And it comes out almost a month after the FF.

Something is amiss. It's not a guessing game, this is the way it works in Hollywood.

Next step is they hold it back from pre-release screening to critics and they drag their feet on what the budget is, OR they go back and do more filming to try and spice it up.

hm

Not every movie that does this is doomed.

Poltergeist

Rumored Spielberg took over for Tobe Hooper.

That turned out fine (the reboot coming out this summer), even despite one of the stars getting murdered by her jealous boyfriend before or after (I forget) the film's immediate release. If that happened nowadays though...

Don't worry about the box-office numbers. It still was a good movie, I'm still scared of clown dolls to this day even.

Nowhere near the same.

This movie WISHES it could get some publicity like Spielberg might take over the movie. And Spielberg's forceful presence on Poltergeist had nothing to do with Hooper's inadequacies. That's just Spielberg.

And Tobe Hooper had already created a masterpiece of horror in Texas Chainsaw Massacre which did $30M ($143M adjusted for 2015) on practically no budget.

Poltergeist had a budget of 10.7 million dollars ($26.2 adjusted for 2015).... that's a spit in the bucket.

Fantastic Four is at least $200 million and they're still not even sure how to promote it.

(:

lol

Now I want to go and watch the original Poltergeist... it's been awhile...

You know, I had that urge last night too (I have the bare-boned extras disc). But, I was binge watching Season 1 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and couldn't stop.

Nowhere near the same.

So are you saying you're not happy this movie is coming out?

(:

Between the teaser trailer and the first official trailer, they hint at a movie that may be better than originally assumed.

It is going to be different from the original source material. That's a given. But like Stan Lee has pointed out with the Marvel Studios productions, those differ as well. And from the filmmaker commentary trailer, it feels like they tried to bring science into view first before any superhero focus. Which Stan Lee agreed publicly he agreed with that approach.

We'll know in a few months if this is a dog or not. None of us have seen it in its entirety yet, though we may be assuming one way or the other where it will land.

Fantastic Four Writer Explains Why They Hid Their Footage From Fans

"We really just don't want to show anything until it's ready, until it looks great, and they show the real intention of the shot or the movie. Then we'll show it. That's why we've held on to so much. We held on to the Thing. We held on to Doom. We held on until we were further along."

I'm hoping their efforts truly pay off in the end rather than be another missed opportunity.

Nowhere near the same.

(:

lol

Well, I'm not happy that the poor decisions they've made have led to, what I believe will be a failure, and ultimately a blemish on the 'idea' that the Fantastic Four is a viable franchise to make a movie about.

That sucks.

I'd love for them to make a great Fantastic Four movie.

To me, they're not taking the steps they need to, to make that happen.

Unlike some, I'm not going to pay $10-$15 to watch a movie about the Hulk going poop, just because it's 'the Hulk'. Some believe we should go and support these movies regardless of what they throw at us, simply to make Hollywood want to make even more superhero movies. I've never seen that work. You pay for Hollywood poop and you'll get even worse Hollywood poop. Poop with no consistency. Runny poop.

Nowhere near the same.

(:

lol

Well, I'm not happy that the poor decisions they've made have led to, what I believe will be a failure, and ultimately a blemish on the 'idea' that the Fantastic Four is a viable franchise to make a movie about.

That sucks.

Unlike some, I'm not going to pay $10-$15 to watch a movie about the Hulk going poop, just because it's 'the Hulk'. Some believe we should go and support these movies regardless of what they throw at us, simply to make Hollywood want to make even more superhero movies. I've never seen that work. You pay for Hollywood poop and you'll get even worse Hollywood poop. Poop with no consistency. Runny poop.

Age of Ultron spoiler alert next time.

Between the teaser trailer and the first official trailer, they hint at a movie that may be better than originally assumed.

It is going to be different from the original source material. That's a given. But like Stan Lee has pointed out with the Marvel Studios productions, those differ as well. And from the filmmaker commentary trailer, it feels like they tried to bring science into view first before any superhero focus. Which Stan Lee agreed publicly he agreed with that approach.

We'll know in a few months if this is a dog or not. None of us have seen it in its entirety yet, though we may be assuming one way or the other where it will land.

Well.. Stan Lee is an Executive Producer on the movie, and his job, which he is very good at, is to spin it positive and make people want to see it.

But, you're right. This movie might be good, no one has seen it yet. But they're failing to make it a movie to go see in August, after a long summer of blockbusters, by:

A) not winning over old school Fantastic Four fans - a serious miscalculation

B) trying to go 'young - may as well put a $150M cap on your Domestic gross now

C) giving a young unproven director a big budget and not managing to reel him in.

D) not showing enough - is it holding back or a fear it's not good enough? August is not a good movie month to play coy in.

It might be good. It might be decent. But the way they've handled it, it might not get people in the door to find out. They might kill this franchise before they even release the movie.

Nowhere near the same.

(:

lol

That sucks.

Age of Ultron spoiler alert next time.

:acclaim:

It might be good. It might be decent. But the way they've handled it, it might not get people in the door to find out. They might kill this franchise before they even release the movie.

That's the biggest concern in general. The way Fox has moved forward with this movie - especially 'I've got a secret' - the first instinct is to assume they are holding back on early information because it must have troubles. The recent Trank news concerning Star Wars adds to the assumptions.

But those early videos give me some hope.

I admit the FF trailer looks much better than I ever thought it would. However, Hollywood has gotten really good at making trailers. There are a number of things that bother me about it.

Weirdly, the number one thing that bothers me is that they're all so young. I can't get over that, it continuously clashes with my long understanding of who the Fantastic Four is.

Stan will say anything to spin it positive. He's been doing it since 1961.

Lots of things did well but some didn't, but it was all 'awesome' when it came out.

Personally, I kind of hope it flops so Marvel gets the rights back like they did with DD. These other studios just don't seem to get it. Marvel / Disney are treating the franchises like solid gold and putting out a quality product.

The others seem to treat them like they're not that important and it shows in the quality of films

Stan will say anything to spin it positive. He's been doing it since 1961.

Lots of things did well but some didn't, but it was all 'awesome' when it came out.

Personally, I kind of hope it flops so Marvel gets the rights back like they did with DD. These other studios just don't seem to get it. Marvel / Disney are treating the franchises like solid gold and putting out a quality product.

The others seem to treat them like they're not that important and it shows in the quality of films

Personally, and this is from someone who adores the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, I think they are going in the right direction with this film. The cast is fully of superbly talented young actors, the director is one of the young visionaries of Hollywood, and their decision to treat this like a serious sci-fi movie instead of camp is the only way to sell the franchise to the target audience....i.e, NOT the 40 or 50 somethings visiting these Boards. I've seen enough of the trailers to want to go see it in person...no, it may not be the FF that I love and cherish, but I also don't drive the same car I did 20 years ago, or have all the same interests I had 10 years ago.