• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

...if Marvel could do a 1940's time piece about Captain America, why on earth couldn't someone after all of these FF movies do a 1961 time piece for the FF Origin?

You get the set / costume guys from Mad Men and you just kill it with an authentic movie about the FF.

This is a brilliant idea. Awesome take on it, Roy.

That's what Marvel needs to do when they get the rights back.

...if Marvel could do a 1940's time piece about Captain America, why on earth couldn't someone after all of these FF movies do a 1961 time piece for the FF Origin?

You get the set / costume guys from Mad Men and you just kill it with an authentic movie about the FF.

Doesn't seem likely. Captain America's tie to World War 2 was huge--particularly given the whole buried-in-the-ice thing--but there's very little about the 1960s that is at all essential to the FF. They translate well to any time period.

It's just a cool idea.

You'd be stuck there, though. Cap made it back to the present due to the freezing. It worked in X-Men: First Class because Magneto and Professor X started out old, so going back to their beginning and taking a few who-cares-if-they-don't-make-it-back-to-present-day mutants from the huge stable of mutants available worked out fine. If you start the FF in 1961, you're tying future movies to that time, too. Unless you reboot yet again.

Could always make them leave in the 1960's and kinda Planet of the Apes them into the future when they land again. Would make sense of the "amateur astronauts" thing that wouldn't really work so well today, but keep their origin cosmic instead of Negative Zone related.

Just not sure how well that would work either.

Could always make them leave in the 1960's and kinda Planet of the Apes them into the future when they land again. Would make sense of the "amateur astronauts" thing that wouldn't really work so well today, but keep their origin cosmic instead of Negative Zone related.

They'd have to do it before they introduced ANY supporting characters. No Alicia Masters or anybody else you want to keep constant until they did the time shift.

Yeah. But they can always make them people that they come into contact in the present day, helping them adjust. Start the movie with them getting ready for the shuttle launch in the 60's & within 30 minutes of the start, they're crash-landing in the present day.

Might be able to make the nuclear-family thing a little more realistic to modern viewers who wouldn't really understand a Sue that would stick with Reed through his dismissive & distant phases, would allow Johnny using the "I came from the past on a rocketship!" thing to gain celebrity (better than a stupid motorcross thing) and would make Ben's feelings of alienation even more pronounced.

Again, just an idea.

Edited by Doktor

They'd have to do it before they introduced ANY supporting characters. No Alicia Masters or anybody else you want to keep constant until they did the time shift.

I realize the 1961 theme is a bit self serving and not realistic but with the proper writing it could still be done as a 'fill in the blanks' movie with the FF discovering Subby, etc.

I realize it will never happen but when the idea popped into my head I immediately thought 'Mad Men' and saw it as a neat idea.

I agree.

That would have been interesting, and also lined them up time wise with X-Men for a possible crossover.

I can't remember a time when I wasn't an FF fan. It was the first book I looked for on the news stand or variety store spinner and it's still the first book I check out in back issue bins.

That being said, I try to not get worked up about the FF movies (or any superhero movies really) because that's all they are... movies. They don't rewrite any of the great stories or arcs that have come before and if it's a great movie, it won't make me toss their rich history aside.

I don't really care about the details of Doctor Dooms costume or how the Thing looks or the colour of Johnny Storm's skin. What I hope for is a well told story. It's not complicated really, just tell a good story with good character development. Make me care about the characters and I won't care if the Thing is made out of Lego.

I will give the movie a try and I will try to keep an open mind.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

I can't remember a time when I wasn't an FF fan. It was the first book I looked for on the news stand or variety store spinner and it's still the first book I check out in back issue bins.

That being said, I try to not get worked up about the FF movies (or any superhero movies really) because that's all they are... movies. They don't rewrite any of the great stories or arcs that have come before and if it's a great movie, it won't make me toss their rich history aside.

I don't really care about the details of Doctor Dooms costume or how the Thing looks or the colour of Johnny Storm's skin. What I hope for is a well told story. It's not complicated really, just tell a good story with good character development. Make me care about the characters and I won't care if the Thing is made out of Lego.

I will give the movie a try and I will try to keep an open mind.

Good post.

I guess Fox has just turned me into a bitter pessimist based on their movie history.