• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

It used to bother me, but it doesn’t anymore.

Then just shush and be an actor. (shrug)

The fact that he's still talking about it is proff it still bothers him.

Where does the $300 MM for ASM2 come from? That's your guesstimate based upon what? Even Avengers 2 was only at $250MM and that movie had AT LEAST 5X the high priced stars that ASM2 did.

Your $300 MM number makes your math work, but in reality, your foreign income for these movies is still counted as equal to the domestic gross and that just isn't the case. Not knocking what you've put together there, I appreciate seeing all of these numbers together...

Between the three key movie analysis sites (Boxoffice.com, Boxofficemojo, Nash Information Services/The Numbers), the budget estimated range was between $200 MM to $345 MM. And where other sites guessed at $250 MM, nobody outside of Sony still knows. Even the hack didn't deliver that information yet, and I so wanted to know that exact number.

So I went with a middle-ground number of $300 MM to be safe. That's a lot more thought put into a decision than 'Well, it's not Marvel Studios, so they suck anyway'.

lol

:baiting:

As an example, the worldwide take for Green Lantern is $219 MM... on $200 MM budget. That's not good, but it looks like another movie could be made.

Truth is the studio sees it as the movie did $116 MM domestically (where they make the highest percentage of take) on a $200 MM budget - a complete failure - and you hear no real talk about a sequel. If they did $219 on $200, they'd at least be considering it.

u95BYkI.png

Nobody is talking about a sequel with Green Lantern (and I do not rejoice at that news) because the movie overall did 1.1X of budget. It didn't even come close to hit 2.5X which would account for revenue shares, production budget an marketing. Even adjusting for 2015 inflation, that only brings the worldwide box office total up to $230.8 MM on a $200 MM budget.

Wolverine was a really low budget movie with only one real star (Jackman) and a moderate priced director. Mostly small sets, and really A- special effects. Josh Trank probably did $120 MM just in cocaine.

The other thing to take into consideration is that none of these kids have been in a movie that's been a box office hit.

Miles Teller $150 MM in Divergent (less in the sequel)

Michael B. Jordan's never been in a movie that's hit $65 MM!

Jaimie Bell wasn't a star in King Kong's $218 MM ten years ago ($207 MM budget), but he hasn't even broken $20 MM in a movie he's acted in since 2008.

The lack of stars may help the budget, but it'll most likely hurt the box office.

I agree that for a franchise that is supposed to be rebooted, you would assume Fox would want some juice behind the actors and creators selected.

Who knew much about Chris Evans before Captain America? Chris Hemsworth? Robert Downey Jr. was definitely on the rebound with movies like Zodiac and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. But putting him in the Iron Man suit would have been a joke beforehand.

Now? Can you think of anyone currently that could step in for these folks cleanly, without you thinking back on the original actors?

There is a potential Fox is growing these actors into these roles. At least, you would hope there is some well thought out roadmap somewhere for their superhero universe. Though its COO's recent interview about not wanting the studio to be known as a superhero production house kind of took the wind out of those sails. Hopefully, he was wrong, and spoke out of turn. Especially with the amount of Marvel product they have movie rights to at this time.

It's a budget guesstimate.

I was looking at some other numbers... with the exception of Guardians of the Galaxy, and I think we can all agree, this won't come anywhere near that movie... no other Superhero movie released in August has ever broken $200 MM domestically, and really the only one that's even close to it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

It's not another studio you should be looking at to build the near-term picture what Fox is going to put into this film. It doesn't matter Marvel Studios had a somewhat steady run rate of $170-$200 MM per movie until recently. Fox is going to have a profile of a superhero movie from its own experiences over many years, and they are probably going to land below $200 MM and above $120 MM on a budget.

That's not a guess. That's reading through the historic numbers.

Who knew much about Chris Evans before Captain America?
Sudbury native. I'm familiar with most regional talent (Affleck, Damon, The Walbergs, Eliza Dushku, Clark Gregg, Adam Sandler, etc). Region of Champions!

But, Evans has a great breakout role as an action star in Cellular (Speed meets Taken) and a heroic role in Sunshine, before the Fantastic Four movies.

Sudbury native. I'm familiar with most regional talent (Affleck, Damon, The Walbergs, Eliza Dushku, Clark Gregg, Adam Sandler, etc). Region of Champions!

But, Evans has a great breakout role as an action star in Cellular (Speed meets Taken) and a heroic role in Sunshine, before the Fantastic Four movies.

To be fair, you are right. I knew immediately Chris Evans was the actor from the Fox Fantastic Four movie. But even from that film, I really didn't take to him as Johnny Storm. But as Nick Gant in the movie 'Push' I was more impressed with his performance.

But once he played Captain America, I was surprised I never pictured him in this role previously. He was the ultimate solid fit for this role.

(worship)

To be fair, you are right. I knew immediately Chris Evans was the actor from the Fox Fantastic Four movie. But even from that film, I really didn't take to him as Johnny Storm. But as Nick Gant in the movie 'Push' I was more impressed with his performance.

But once he played Captain America, I was surprised I never pictured him in this role previously. He was the ultimate solid fit for this role.

(worship)

Even though I didn't care much for the first Captain movie, he was perfect for the role. You could see early glimpses with his role in Sunshine (self-sacrifice) that made him the perfect fit.

Sunshine Movie spoiler!

He froze himself in the ice water of the ship's mainframe in that movie too. Hello... typecasting. lol

Following some peoples advice - I read Ultimate FF, and indeed, the casting of RR and SS makes a lot better sense.

However, with Prof Storm being involved so much, why change JS to black?

Surely they leave him as white, or change Prof S, SS and JS all into Black characters.

Changing one was silly.

The choice of Jamie Bell still baffles me, as from page #1 of issue #1 Ben Grimm was a huge Football Player, not Billy bleeding Elliot.

Victor Van Damme in that tatty cape in the promo shots makes a lot more sense now.

For a non UFF reader (most of the viewing public) - then it just needs to be a GOOD movie to make a buck or two.

I'm still not confident it will do so.

Having now read UFF, I may give it a shot.

Following some peoples advice - I read Ultimate FF, and indeed, the casting of RR and SS makes a lot better sense.

However, with Prof Storm being involved so much, why change JS to black?

Surely they leave him as white, or change Prof S, SS and JS all into Black characters.

Changing one was silly.

The choice of Jamie Bell still baffles me, as from page #1 of issue #1 Ben Grimm was a huge Football Player, not Billy bleeding Elliot.

Victor Van Damme in that tatty cape in the promo shots makes a lot more sense now.

For a non UFF reader (most of the viewing public) - then it just needs to be a GOOD movie to make a buck or two.

I'm still not confident it will do so.

Having now read UFF, I may give it a shot.

:applause:

Professor Storm and Johnny are both black in the movie. Sue is adopted.

Edited by Chris_Skeleton

I wasn't aware Prof Storm was also Black - makes even more sense now.

Thanks for that :foryou:

I would rather not read through this whole thread but I heard through the grapevine (unreliable source) that Stan Lee will not make a cameo in the FF by the demand of Fox executives. As of an article in late January Stan said they had not contacted him and he wasn't sure if they were going to.

Is this true?

It just looks so dull. Reed isn't Reed, Ben isn't Ben...and then Doom shows up and I just shake my head. I watched the international trailer that was just posted and I have zero desire to see it at all. I've been an FF fan for nearly my entire life...37 of my 43 years, and I have zero desire to see it.

They're not doing things right here.

Pretty much sums up my sentiments as well.

This is not the FF.

Sheesh, Roger Corman was truer to the spirit of the source material.

Sad.

rantrant

You're right, it's not FF. It is Ultimate FF.

And it looks like it is staying true to the spirit of the source material, and that source material is Ultimate FF.

I don't understand people still coming in here saying "this isn't FF", "they screwed the FF up", "this isn't true to the source material".

It's based on ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR. If you are going to say it isn't true to the source material, then go read Ultimate FF before you see the movie and then report back. :eyeroll:

Then it should be titled Ultimate FF.

Of course, then they would lose much of the audience familiar with the comics, because most of them couldn't care less about anything with Ultimate in the title, or flat out hate it.

Also, seems like a defense used regarding these movies when they do screw it up deviate from the source material is to explain it as being "ultimate". Even when other large parts of the movie are not "ultimate".

The Avengers movie is based on many of the situations shown in the Ultimate universe starting with SHIELD being behind their forming. Why is FF being held to a different standard?

The Avengers movie is based on many of the situations shown in the Ultimate universe starting with SHIELD being behind their forming. Why is FF being held to a different standard?

That's right. The Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson) character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is right out of Ultimates #1. The Captain America costume is also from the Ultimates.

Mark Millar On Fantastic Four: "I Think It'll Surprise People"

During a chat about Kingsman: The Secret Service, we asked Mark if he had seen Fantastic Four and what his thoughts were on its impending release.

“I’ve seen chunks of it but not the complete movie, and it's looking good. What I’m really excited for is to see how many people are surprised by it,” said Millar. “I remember everybody :censored: about Fantastic Four for about six months then the trailer came out and everyone is like ‘this is really good.’ I think it'll surprise people."

When I asked Mark what he meant about fans being surprised by it’s release he offered up this interesting little tidbit before we ended our chat.

“I think you don't want to be in a position where everyone is expecting something and then they're disappointed. I think people are coming and they're just sort of like, hoping for the best. I think that's a good way to watch a movie.”

CGVuOaVUIAEsP-D.png

The official Fantastic Four Twitter account has released a new still from the Josh Trank directed reboot, giving us another look at Kate Mara as Sue Storm/Invisible Woman, and Miles Teller as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic as they attempt to "push the limits of discovery" together.

CGVuOaVUIAEsP-D.png

The official Fantastic Four Twitter account has released a new still from the Josh Trank directed reboot, giving us another look at Kate Mara as Sue Storm/Invisible Woman, and Miles Teller as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic as they attempt to "push the limits of discovery" together.

Oh God! I so wanna be Team Reed when the voting starts at BK!

Josh Trank Reveals Why He Really Left STAR WARS; Addresses FANTASTIC FOUR BTS Rumors

"None of those facts were true – and any of the facts that were true were spun in such a maliciously wrong way. If you ask anybody by name who I’ve worked with, from Simon to [producer] Hutch [Parker] or my crew or anybody else, they’d be like, ‘We’ve been working really hard on this movie and we’ve had an excellent time working together.' It’s been a challenging movie – for all of the right reasons."

The director then goes on to deny claims that his dogs caused $100,000 worth of damage to a property rented for him by Fox and that he recently took to 4Chan to vent his frustrations about the movie. So, why did Trank leave Star Wars? "I want to do something original after this because I’ve been living under public scrutiny, as you’ve seen, for the last four years of my life. And it’s not healthy for me right now in my life. I want to do something that’s below the radar." This could all be true or a PR move by Fox to try and help distance Fantastic Four from those reports by The Hollywood Reporter and Variety.

This is Trank's take on things though. Interestingly, Simon Kinberg - the man who reportedly had Trank fired from Star Wars - was also present for this interview, and he jumped to Trank's defence. "I’ve been around some version of this for a long time. This, I would say, is particularly cruel. I haven’t really seen this level of vehemence against a filmmaker. And it’s surreal and unfair."