• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I can't remember a time when I wasn't an FF fan. It was the first book I looked for on the news stand or variety store spinner and it's still the first book I check out in back issue bins.

That being said, I try to not get worked up about the FF movies (or any superhero movies really) because that's all they are... movies. They don't rewrite any of the great stories or arcs that have come before and if it's a great movie, it won't make me toss their rich history aside.

I don't really care about the details of Doctor Dooms costume or how the Thing looks or the colour of Johnny Storm's skin. What I hope for is a well told story. It's not complicated really, just tell a good story with good character development. Make me care about the characters and I won't care if the Thing is made out of Lego.

I will give the movie a try and I will try to keep an open mind.

Good post.

I guess Fox has just turned me into a bitter pessimist based on their movie history.

I think Fox has done fine with the X-men franchise, with the FF not so much. But there is always hope. :wishluck:

One thing I am dreading is an origin movie again. Can't we just take it as read and get on with it? We've already seen it done badly and I fear to see it done badly again.

I absolutely loved those last 2 x-men movies. Never much of an x fan in the comics.

Ditto. Fox has done good work with the X-Men franchise. The problem with FF wasn't so much the directing or -script, but rather the casting. We knew we were watching an FF movie because that's what the ticket said, but it wasn't the FF. Fox seems to have assembled the right cast this time around. Now the question is whether the story works and whether Trank makes it all flow together.

I absolutely loved those last 2 x-men movies. Never much of an x fan in the comics.

Ditto. Fox has done good work with the X-Men franchise. The problem with FF wasn't so much the directing or -script, but rather the casting. We knew we were watching an FF movie because that's what the ticket said, but it wasn't the FF. Fox seems to have assembled the right cast this time around. Now the question is whether the story works and whether Trank makes it all flow together.

Interesting you would say this. I would hazard to guess that at least 60% polled would say they absolutely did not assemble the right cast. All I've heard over the last 6 months is too young, too black, too skinny, too etc, etc, etc...

Im sure there are a bunch of ways to transport the group from the 60's to present day in the movies for a sequel.

The idea is already there in the storyboards Jack has already created for any FF film.

Doctor Doom's time machine.

Fox seems to have assembled the right cast this time around.

Seriously? For what? Dawson's Creek : The Space Program?

I think everyone just needs to realize this is not Lees FF and its MIllars FF...

Its almost identical to the Ultimate run which makes sense since Millar is Fox's Superhero guy..

If you dont like the Ultimate FF than you probably wont like this one...

All of these actors have great pedigrees and are all very big up and comers in this industry if not already came.

This is not your dads FF this is a FF for a younger generation..

I was skeptical as well at first but after these first initial trailers I think the movie looks like a lot of fun..

All the characters "feel" right to me. It could suck but I liked Ultimate FF and i think its so much fun seeing that interpenetration on screen.

I think everyone just needs to realize this is not Lees FF and its MIllars FF...

Its almost identical to the Ultimate run which makes sense since Millar is Fox's Superhero guy..

All of these actors have great pedigrees and are all very big up and comers in this industry if not already came.

I was skeptical as well at first but after these first initial trailers I think the movie looks like a lot of fun..

All the characters "feel" right to me. It could suck but I liked Ultimate FF and i think its so much fun seeing that interpenetration on screen.

+1. Those that are interested only in a 1960s period movie following Lee-Kirby FF storyboards will be disappointed. Try picking up the first several issues of Ultimate FF -- which is a pretty good read -- so you have an idea of the direction this film is headed. This cast has four credible and talented young/younger actors. The '05 and '07 films flopped largely because Fox wanted to follow the Lee-Kirby "look-and-feel" and ended up putting the Thing in a foam suit, getting a bleach-blonde eye candy-version of Sue Storm who can't act to save her life, and an actor who gave us a hyper Reed Richards. Only Evans did his part. Maybe these new four don't have the chemistry, but like what I see thus far.

FANTASTIC FOUR Website Updated With New Images And Bizarre Reveal About 'Reed''s Powers

REED RICHARDS IS A SCIENTIFIC PRODIGY WHO HAS BEEN QUIETLY EXPLORING THE UNIVERSE’S DEEPEST MYSTERIES IN HIS GARAGE, AFTER SCHOOL. AFTER BEING TRANSFORMED BY ONE OF HIS EXPERIMENTS, HE CAN WARP THE SPACE AROUND HIM, AND APPEAR TO STRETCH HIS BODY INTO IMPOSSIBLE FORMS AND TO INCREDIBLE LENGTHS.

SUE IS BRILLIANT AND BEAUTIFUL, INDEPENDENT AND SARCASTIC. THE POWER TO BECOME INVISIBLE AND TO GENERATE HER OWN FORCE-FIELDS CAN MAKE HER HARDER TO REACH THAN EVER—BUT THAT WON’T STOP SOME OF HER TEAMMATES, ESPECIALLY REED, FROM TRYING.

A TROUBLEMAKER AND A THRILL-SEEKER, JOHNNY IS THE ROCK STAR OF THE TEAM. HIS POWERS ALLOW HIM TO SHOOT FIREBALLS, FLY AT BREAKNECK SPEEDS, AND REALLY LIGHT IT UP.

A RARE BREED BRAWN AND HEART, BEN IS WARM, EVEN SENSITIVE, DESPITE HIS ROUGH-AND-TUMBLE UPBRINGING. HE IS ROCK-SOLID—IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE. A LOYAL AND PROTECTIVE FRIEND, HIS STONE BODY GIVES HIM EPIC STRENGTH AND MAKES HIM VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE.

So the space around him stretches, but not him?

Hmmm

I think that's what they are going for this time around. But why confuse audiences like that? Just go with the traditional powers.

While I can certainly understand being upset with the idea of re visioning Reed's powers, I have always wondered how well his traditional stretching translates to the big screen. Happy to be proven wrong on this one day (if it ever happens) but the film makers may simply be taking Wolverine out of his Yellow jump suit.

I don't think Reed stretching in the traditional manor is a prerequisite to telling a good FF story.

I don't think Reed stretching in the traditional manor is a prerequisite to telling a good FF story.

Its not a prerequisite to telling a good story, but its a prerequisite to telling a good FF story. If you take the FF and change their ages, looks, powers, personalities, jobs, etc- its not the FF.

It may end up being a good movie, but I was hoping for a good FF movie.

Maybe (shrug)

But when I think about what Reed brings to the FF it's his big brain and his leadership, not how far he stretches his arms.

Hey, I'm a fan and Reed is my favorite FF character. I just think that maybe they are trying different way to visualize his stretching on a big screen. If so, I still think it possible to tell a good FF story.

Its not a prerequisite to telling a good story, but its a prerequisite to telling a good FF story. If you take the FF and change their ages, looks, powers, personalities, jobs, etc- its not the FF.

Well said.

My suspicion is this will be neither.

Well said.

My suspicion is this will be neither.

Unfourtunately, I suspect you are probably right. But I hope for a good FF story all the same :wishluck:

I liked the Ultimate FF run. I remember sitting down with all 60 issues and reading them over a couple of days. I thought the zombie Reed was awesome!