• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,196 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 5:15 PM, OtherEric said:

And now we close with a book from a different seller.  Some days, you look at a listing and go "Why are they asking under $18 with shipping for this book with no photos?", and decide it's worth spending the $20 to find out.  Because now and then, the answer is "they apparently made a mistake".  Super super happy with this one, even with some obvious minor flaws this is a beautifully presenting copy of one of the key D-Series doubles:

Ace D 040a.jpg

Ace D 040b.jpg

Ace D 040c.jpg

Great pickups Eric! This is such a great Victor Olsen cover on "Waltz" and a quite bizarre and compelling novel. 

You did really well overall. Abe can be a crapshoot, even more so than Ebay sometimes because of the lack of, or tiny, pictures but just like the 'bay there's bargains to be had if you do the work. Particularly good at $6 average are the Avon Metal Monster and the high grade "Confidential", two excellent Raymond Johnson covers that should go for 5x that, and a couple of those Ace's like "Windward Passage" are pretty high grade as well. :cheers:

On 5/5/2023 at 2:00 PM, OtherEric said:

Everybody sitting comfortably?  Because I've got a fair number of books in today.

We'll start with one of the two big ones... We Can Build You by PKD.  As near as I can tell, this is the last book I needed for the full set of PKD first edition first printing paperback originals.  So a pretty major milestone for me; if anybody wants me to try and do a group shot let me know.

We Can Build You.jpg

Cograts and I'd definitely like to see the group shot.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:01 PM, OtherEric said:

image.jpg

I really do need to upgrade The Man Who Japed, at a minimum...

And one oops on my part, I showed the wrong cover on one of the books.  Sargasso of Space is the wrong side, it should be The Cosmic Puppets.

On 5/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  I've got a beat up copy somewhere in the black hole I call my storage unit, but I decided I needed a nice copy of this one.  I've got the Bradburys, so now I just need to find Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror.

Tales of the Incredible.jpg

These EC's & Bradbury's are ones you want to get in high grade while you still can relatively affordably. They just look so nice with unmarred covers.:cloud9:

On 5/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, TupennyConan said:

I think these are all the LANCERS I own. If I find more, I'll share pics.

Screenshot_20230507-120154_Gallery.jpg

Nice horde! They're a little confusing to figure first prints and such but isfdb is a great friend in that regard.

Everybody I know who knows, knows that Lancers were produced cheaply, especially the glue and cover paper quality, and featured authors everyone read with great covers so they got 2 strikes against them as far as finding real nice ones :cry: