• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,975 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2024 at 8:35 PM, Darwination said:

Not sure I've noticed the cover artist, Robert Schulz, before (not exactly why I picked the book), but it looks like he did some work in the sweats both on covers and splashes as well as some notable paperback covers.

One of the highest paid and most prolific paperback cover artists of the Golden Age. 

On 4/17/2024 at 8:43 PM, pmpknface said:

Looks like Kim Novak likes to gamble...

image.png.17bd5851064c628f7457a755e0ae8e42.png

Rudy Nappi painted that killer cover. Like most pb artists, he got paid so little that he did TONS of work from photos and tear sheets, rather than pay models.

Amazing what they did with limited resources :headbang:

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 4/17/2024 at 8:51 PM, Book Guy said:

A couple of weeks ago I was talking about a Perma Bound Book I bought from a Publishers rep back in the day and this is it. Interesting in that it was NOT ex-Library which is how you usually see them. I had been told that Libraries could buy their own perma binding machine, but according to the company website they have been doing the binding and selling since the mid 60's. This of course is an aftermarket binding, but too my mind collectible as it seems it probably had a wide distribution and is a legitimate issue of the Book. This is bound from the 1972 2nd Printing, but arguably it is the 'First Hardcover Edition'. A gray area bibliographically, but I would call it that.

IMG_5634.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5638.JPG

I love it. It's pretty special regardless. I think I've seen Signets hardcover bound like this.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:10 AM, Darwination said:

I think I predicted elsewhere that the McCauley will blow the estimate out of the water, but that's pure conjecture.

Agree. HA's estimates are all over the place take this one for example: https://fineart.ha.com/itm/pulp-pulp-like-digests-and-paperback-art/john-schoenherr-american-1935-2010-space-viking-analog-magazine-cover-november-1962gouache-on-board12-x-12/a/8161-71464.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116