• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,119 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2024 at 12:31 AM, Black Cactus said:

Came across this website while hunting for books. I don't have any affiliation.

Their inventory doesn't cover my collecting interests, but they have a bunch of Dell, Avon, and other publishers for around $5 a book. I figured some of you might be interested!

https://careysemporium.com/collections/fiction?page=1&sort_by=created-descending

It's like ringing the dinner bell, posting a link like that.  :insane:

On 4/29/2024 at 1:27 PM, Darwination said:

My rather large late night order wouldn't process because of a non-recognized address, and I'm supposedly getting help from the proprietor.  I suspect half the items in my cart will be gone by the time you jackals beat me to it. :makepoint:

I can't deny the possibility.

Art, masquerading as Social relevance, masquerading as Science Fiction. I prefer this motorcycle cover to earlier printings, which rarely happens with me. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

GAFEWi9.png

On 4/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, Darwination said:

Burgess is a total trip.  The last one I recall reading is A Dead Man in Deptford which is just as transgressive as this one here.

I like any PB that features efforts that helped set cultural high (and low ...) points of different eras. Kind of like household words. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm being helped by the proprietor to manually make me an invoice.  Amazingly, Eric didn't grab any from my cart. Different strokes and all :banana:

Pretty much beaters but the price is right.

I'm kind of finding myself either looking for dirt cheap readers or a crease-less high grade on pbs which is kind of weird cuz I like the middle ground in pulps and comics. 

I guess it's nice to have the choice on the more common books.

On 4/29/2024 at 11:44 AM, Pat Calhoun said:

one of my all-time great book buys was at Pellucidar circa Dec 1979. was extra-special as it was the first hunt with my #1 son, Crane, then around a month old. hard to believe I had fifty bucks in my pocket, a lot of dough for the young family, but talk about an epic acquisition...

img507.jpg

img509.jpg

img506.jpg

I don't recall it. It might have been before I worked in the 'Rare Book Room'!

Posted (edited)

I like it, too.  It's neat how the figure takes up most of the space but sort of blends in.   It's disturbing, too.  You've got the beautiful blond, but she's covered in dirt and grime.  When I was picking a copy (they're all cheap) I thought the grub on her knee was maybe a stain, but then you see it all over her.  Grimey just like this story's no doubt gonna be with Fletcher Flora *grimace*

LetMeKillYouSweetheart!-FletcherFlora(1958.Avon811)rearcover.thumb.jpg.a0041cccaa729acbd7cef9932313e348.jpg

Edited by Darwination