• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-level panel page valuations by artist/run - thoughts/additions/changes?
5 5

425 posts in this topic

Not sure about that. In general, an A level splash (assuming it has the character on it, nice image, etc) would likely be 2-3 times the price of an A list panel page, and a cover would be 4 to 5 times the price. A+ splashes and covers would be even higher.

I think you must have misunderstood me, because that's exactly my point - applying those kind of multiples to some of the panel page valuations gives you unrealistically high prices for covers and splashes from the same run (e.g., McSpidey non-ASM at $20-$30K). I'd argue that $10-$20K is probably more realistic, especially if you take a look at some of the Heritage results over the past year and a half.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong auctions, but McSpidey panel pages seem to be in the 10-20 range for A examples.

with b "normal" pages in the 5-10 range of late.

Plus with ASM there's a huge variance if venom's on page vs not. (the highest venom panel on HA.com is 23k)

A venom page can get 2x what a "regular" page can get.

And McF inks also are a multiplier.....

So an "A" page from the early 300's is evaluated a lot differently than later in the series when he was doing inks....

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong auctions, but McSpidey panel pages seem to be in the 10-20 range for A examples.

with b "normal" pages in the 5-10 range of late.

Plus with ASM there's a huge variance if venom's on page vs not. (the highest venom panel on HA.com is 23k)

A venom page can get 2x what a "regular" page can get.

And McF inks also are a multiplier.....

So an "A" page from the early 300's is evaluated a lot differently than later in the series when he was doing inks....

Good point. Maybe we should move all the McSpidey art to the 20-30K range. Also, we seem to be missing Ditko Dr. Strange/StrangeTales, which should be in the 30-40K range (maybe more).

Some thoughts: I would move the Romita Sr spidey panel pages down to the 20-40K range.

Romita Spidey twice-ups are a bit unique. Burkey has most of them, and he sure isn't letting his A-level stuff go for less then 40 k :grin:

I also know of a couple private deals above that amount, and I can't recall an A-level Romita 2x coming to auction the last several years, so market value as determined by auction is pure conjecture.

Not sure about that. In general, an A level splash (assuming it has the character on it, nice image, etc) would likely be 2-3 times the price of an A list panel page, and a cover would be 4 to 5 times the price. A+ splashes and covers would be even higher.

I think you must have misunderstood me, because that's exactly my point - applying those kind of multiples to some of the panel page valuations gives you unrealistically high prices for covers and splashes from the same run (e.g., McSpidey non-ASM at $20-$30K). I'd argue that $10-$20K is probably more realistic, especially if you take a look at some of the Heritage results over the past year and a half.

Yes, agreed.

Bolland Judge Dredd was listed in the $10-20k range. There were a few posts made about them, but the result wasn't 100% clear to me at the end.

I'm not a Dredd reader, but are pages by Bolland really that expensive?

I'd recommend dropping Kubert war/Hawkman one notch also. I just bought a 2X splash in that range, and the best war panel page I can recall seeing went for less than $5k on Clink.

Here's a war page over 5K, and not the best I've seen (though I wouldn't kick it out of my foxhole...).

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7079&lotNo=92213

I don't believe it was meant to be an exhaustive list - I mean no Everett Subby either

I did see the Everett Subby GA page in Heritage sell for $86k a while back but hesitated to include it in the list as I don't really know that market. Where would he and his various popular runs fall in the list Mark? Thanks.

MTL>> That is an outlier

Everett Subby 'A' panel page should be in the $5 - 10K section

(multiple dealer sales in that range - I'd put both 2X and 70s together for this run)

Mark

i follow some of the artists on this list. with little to no public sales from either auctions or from dealer websites, i would love to know how some of these numbers are arrived at... but i guess if you make the price ranges big enough, anything could apply. i am sure a lot of these "values" come from deals where overinflated trade comes into play or it is 2nd hand information (via the phone game) from these not-so- private private sales.................. and isn't an "A" page really subjective?

Edited by robert frey

i follow some of the artists on this list. with little to no public sales from either auctions or from dealer websites, i would love to know how some of these numbers are arrived at... but i guess if you make the price ranges big enough, anything could apply. i am sure a lot of these "values" come from deals where overinflated trade comes into play or it is 2nd hand information (via the phone game) from these not-so- private private sales.................. and isn't an "A" page really subjective?

Hey Rob! Thanks for the thoughts. I tried to base the info on both public sales and whatever private sales I knew of or had heard of. Obviously this list is not gospel but rather just my own observations on these sales. And yes, any second-hand value-info has to be taken with a grain of salt just as this list should be. This is why I have asked for any feedback on additions or modifications especially from those collectors who are much closer to certain segments of the market than I am. Therefore, if you have more concrete info on certain artist/run values, please share them and we can update the list accordingly. Thanks!

Edited by Lago32

Hey Rob! Thanks for the thoughts. I tried to base the info on both public sales and whatever private sales I knew of or had heard of. Obviously this list is not gospel but rather just my own observations on these sales. And yes, any second-hand value-info has to be taken with a grain of salt just as this list should be. This is why I have asked for any feedback on additions or modifications especially from those collectors who are much closer to certain segments of the market than I am. Therefore, if you have more concrete info on certain artist/run values, please share them and we can update the list accordingly. Thanks!

One of the challenges is that people who are passionate about certain combinations of artists/runs may also overestimate the value of that segment. And this may not be for selfish reasons, just may be what they've been seeing. But they also see the cream of the crop mainly and because of that what is A to them may be A+ to the rest of us, or visa versa. You can see how has the potential to artificially inflate the values. In other words, these are the experts for that market, but with it comes a passion and an overestimation at times based on what that person, who likely has been overpaying for years for that segment, sees.

I'm as guilty as anyone, as I'm a big Miracleman fan and I certainly recommended we put them above the ST run. That's what I've seen, although the ST stuff is starting to catch up now. So you should take my word because I've probably seen more than anyone else, but also should doubt me because maybe I'm seeing a skewed viewpoint. Similarly, Yoram is a JRJR ASM fan, Felix loves V pages and 80s stuff like me, Chris Caira is a huge Dredd fan, and so on and so on.

This list is great, but we will need other less impassioned viewpoints to continue to tweak the list up or down. But, of course, that's why we should try to find consensus. I wonder if a more objective way to tweak the list, once it's near complete (which I think it almost is, actually), is possible.

Edited by heartened

Gulacy MOKF needs to be on this list

For sure, I was thinking the same thing now that Ken has posted that killer MOKF page.

I have no clue what Gulacy stuff goes for....can anyone provide some insight? I assume that the stuff he inked (issues 29 and 40) would be in the $5-10k while his other work would be $3-5k?

One of the challenges is that people who are passionate about certain combinations of artists/runs may also overestimate the value of that segment. And this may not be for selfish reasons, just may be what they've been seeing. But they also see the cream of the crop mainly and because of that what is A to them may be A+ to the rest of us, or visa versa. You can see how has the potential to artificially inflate the values. In other words, these are the experts for that market, but with it comes a passion and an overestimation at times based on what that person, who likely has been overpaying for years for that segment, sees.

I'm as guilty as anyone, as I'm a big Miracleman fan and I certainly recommended we put them above the ST run. That's what I've seen, although the ST stuff is starting to catch up now. So you should take my word because I've probably seen more than anyone else, but also should doubt me because maybe I'm seeing a skewed viewpoint. Similarly, Yoram is a JRJR ASM fan, Felix loves V pages and 80s stuff like me, Chris Caira is a huge Dredd fan, and so on and so on.

This list is great, but we will need other less impassioned viewpoints to continue to tweak the list up or down. But, of course, that's why we should try to find consensus. I wonder if a more objective way to tweak the list, once it's near complete (which I think it almost is, actually), is possible.

We can also add Ross Andru ASM pages to the $3-5K category

-Yoram (not a fan of Ross Andru)