• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for you Pedigree collectors

111 posts in this topic

I believe that is what adamstrange told me.

I wonder if this means there are multiple copies - i.e I think there are two Dark Mysteries #21, but that's my only clue.

There are multiple copies of many River City issues. There would be even more on the market if so many had been so badly damaged. My brain's going a bit fuzzy but I recall Peets telling me at the time that they were returns/unsold items that had been saved by a distributor or seller.

Thanks Adam - that sheds a completely different light on them. All these years I've carried the assumption they were an OO collection like the Spokanes. And there I thought I knew stuff. (Please don't tell me the Spokanes are a warehouse find!)

I've been thinking about picking up 1 of every Pedigree collection. I was wondering from you experience which is the most difficult pedigree to obtain?

According to some knowledgeable GA collectors, it appears to be inordinately difficult to find GA Western Penns.

Worldwide has a Winnepeg Superman 74..... at least it has Dennis' signature on it..... a real sharp VG + ....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

there used to be a supe 74 on ww's site with the winnipeg sig on it.

supe74.jpg

lol:applause:

I wonder if this means there are multiple copies - i.e I think there are two Dark Mysteries #21, but that's my only clue.

There are multiple copies of many River City issues. There would be even more on the market if so many had not been so badly damaged. My brain's going a bit fuzzy but I recall Peets telling me at the time that they were returns/unsold items that had been saved by a distributor or seller.

Thanks Adam - that sheds a completely different light on them. All these years I've carried the assumption they were an OO collection like the Spokanes. And there I thought I knew stuff. (Please don't tell me the Spokanes are a warehouse find!)

Spokanes were purchased by an individual who viewed himself as a collector and wanted to preserve them.

Note: I left out a crucial "not" and have added that to my original post and in the quoted section above.

Circle 8 is considered a pedigree. Allentown & Denver might be the hardest to get as those collections had the smallest number of books.

Chinatown books also seem to be very hard to find. I've never seen one for sale.

Actually, I don't think I ever seen one at all!

Going to the thread called "Chinatown pedigree" might be a good place to start. :baiting:

There are multiple copies of many River City issues. There would be even more on the market if so many had not been so badly damaged. My brain's going a bit fuzzy but I recall Peets telling me at the time that they were returns/unsold items that had been saved by a distributor or seller.

Spokanes were purchased by an individual who viewed himself as a collector and wanted to preserve them.

Note: I left out a crucial "not" and have added that to my original post and in the quoted section above.

I noticed, but I knew what you meant anyway!

I've been thinking about picking up 1 of every Pedigree collection. I was wondering from you experience which is the most difficult pedigree to obtain?

According to some knowledgeable GA collectors, it appears to be inordinately difficult to find GA Western Penns.

meanie.

meanie.

Yeah, but he's a big meanie.

there are alot of off-brand titles in the vancouver ped, and many are quite affordable. ww has a very high grade slabbed book right now for $300--use the advanced search, "pedigree" option.

Vancouver is filled will lots of funny animal books *barf* :grin:

You can get them pretty cheap though. I didn't pay much for this one

1401130940131.jpg

Not that I plan to do it, but in the future if I were to sell off my

entire collection to one dealer, would it receive a "pedigree"?

mm

..... they have to be uniformly high grade and contain significant portions of runs to qualify for a Ped, Marty. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

meanie.

Yeah, but he's a big meanie.

at the very least, he's a medium-sized meanie.

nods some pedigrees seem more "in name only" than truly rare. still worth owning if not just for the story behind them. I Still want to focus on the Don Winslow books and luckily there are a bunch of pedigrees that include them "Crowley, Rockford, church, and Lost Valley off the top of my head"

Maybe I will get lucky and can get one of each of those :)

Of course I think cheetah has all the church copies so I may not be able to pry those away from him !

Griff

nods some pedigrees seem more "in name only" than truly rare. still worth owning if not just for the story behind them. I Still want to focus on the Don Winslow books and luckily there are a bunch of pedigrees that include them "Crowley, Rockford, church, and Lost Valley off the top of my head"

Maybe I will get lucky and can get one of each of those :)

Of course I think cheetah has all the church copies so I may not be able to pry those away from him !

Griff

Just two Church copies for Don Winslow. lost out on a bunch of them through ComicConnect but the prices were too silly.

Just for grins and giggles, I put together a list of the pedigrees I own and those I don't.

"D" Copy - prior to the revelation that D stood for Davis Crippen

Allentown

Aurora

Bethlehem

Big Apple

Billy Wright

Boston

Bowling Green

Carson City

Central Valley

Circle 8

Cosmic Aeroplane

Crowley Copy

Crowley/File Copy

Davis Crippen "D" Copy

Denver

Detroit Trolley - not CGC recognized

Don Rosa

Edgar Church

Eldon - not CGC recognized

File Copy

Gaines File Copy

Hawkeye

Larson

Lloyd Jacquet - not CGC recognized

Lost Valley

Mile High II - not CGC recognized

Mohawk Valley

New Hampshire - not CGC recognized

Northford

Nova Scotia

Ohio

Okajima

Pacific Coast

Palo Alto

Pennsylvania

Recil Macon

River City

Rockford

Rocky Mountain

Savannah

Sherwood - not CGC recognized and not in a CGC "Sherwood" holder

Spokane

Suscha News

Twilight

Twin Cities

Vancouver

Western Penn

White Mountain

Winnipeg

CGC Recognized that I don't own

Blanks-Salida

Chicago

Curator

Don and Maggie Thompson

Green River

Kansas City

Massachusetts

Northland

Oakland

San Francisco

Windy City

Non-CGC Recognized that I don't own

Cape Cod

Cookville

Edenwald

Harold Curtis

Selkirk

Toledo

Williamsport

Just for grins and giggles, I put together a list of the pedigrees I own and those I don't.

Allentown

Aurora

Bethlehem

Big Apple

Billy Wright

Boston

Bowling Green

Carson City

Central Valley

Circle 8

Cosmic Aeroplane

Crowley Copy

Crowley/File Copy

Davis Crippen "D" Copy

Denver

Don Rosa

Edgar Church

File Copy

Gaines File Copy

Hawkeye

Larson

Lost Valley

Mohawk Valley

Northford

Nova Scotia

Ohio

Okajima

Pacific Coast

Palo Alto

Pennsylvania

Recil Macon

River City

Rockford

Rocky Mountain

Savannah

Spokane

Suscha News

Twilight

Twin Cities

Vancouver

Western Penn

White Mountain

Winnipeg

Blanks-Salida

Chicago

Curator

Don and Maggie Thompson

Green River

Kansas City

Massachusetts

Northland

Oakland

San Francisco

Windy City

Cape Cod

Cookville

Edenwald

Harold Curtis

Selkirk

Toledo

Williamsport

So ya need an Edenwald, huh? hm

RAD165EC2009115_192425.jpg

Allentown

Aurora

Bethlehem

Big Apple

Billy Wright

Boston

Bowling Green

Carson City

Central Valley

Circle 8

Cosmic Aeroplane

Crowley Copy

Crowley/File Copy

Davis Crippen "D" Copy

Denver

Don Rosa

Edgar Church

File Copy

Gaines File Copy

Hawkeye

Larson

Lost Valley

Mohawk Valley

Northford

Nova Scotia

Ohio

Okajima

Pacific Coast

Palo Alto

Pennsylvania

Recil Macon

River City

Rockford

Rocky Mountain

Savannah

Spokane

Suscha News

Twilight

Twin Cities

Vancouver

Western Penn

White Mountain

Winnipeg

Blanks-Salida

Chicago

Curator

Don and Maggie Thompson

Green River

Kansas City

Massachusetts

Northland

Oakland

San Francisco

Windy City

Cape Cod

Cookville

Edenwald

Harold Curtis

Selkirk

Toledo

Williamsport

So ya need an Edenwald, huh? hm

RAD165EC2009115_192425.jpg

My list of wants is nearly endless. But I didn't know that collection went any earlier than Silver Age.

there are 4 cgc designated Sherwood's...2 batman's and 2 police I believe...

I know Billy has one. I don 'to recall ever seeing the other three. But they aren 't in titles I typically collect. Seems almost like Marvel's variants: artificially rare.