• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a complete 1-35 run of Maxx and am unsure if any are worth grading.  I see that 34-35 are considered valuable, I'm guessing due to low print run, but is there enough of a bump to bother getting them graded?

I collected big time in the early through late 90s and sold basically every major key of that era for peanuts in the early 2000s, but kept my full Maxx and Tick runs.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:15 PM, Browns81 said:

Hi all, I have a complete 1-35 run of Maxx and am unsure if any are worth grading.  I see that 34-35 are considered valuable, I'm guessing due to low print run, but is there enough of a bump to bother getting them graded?

I collected big time in the early through late 90s and sold basically every major key of that era for peanuts in the early 2000s, but kept my full Maxx and Tick runs.

If you feel like they can get 9.8, sure....hard to say without seeing scans.  Don't feel too bad about that, we all sell stuff.  In 2005 I sold off all my MTG in a bulk ebay sale for a pittance of what they'd be worth now.  I collected very heavy in the Revised days (stopped playing when I was around 16/17) and had multiples of all the big ticket cards now, which would be worth thousands of dollars now.  

On 8/23/2021 at 7:33 AM, steveinthecity said:

Hey folks, saw this earlier on eBay from MCS.  Seems like an aggressive ask, but if this book is like the proverbial hens tooth just wondering if the level of interest supports the price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313645539518?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

maxx 12 wizard comic cgc - Google Shopping.png

No, that's retarded.....this is a test book put out by Wizard, what do you think the original art cover of this book would go for if it was listed today?

On 8/24/2021 at 5:29 AM, spreads said:

No, that's retarded.....this is a test book put out by Wizard, what do you think the original art cover of this book would go for if it was listed today?

I would have to guess more than the 6k paid in 2013, but I don’t really follow the ups or downs in the OA market.  Kind of why I was asking.  This thread opened my eyes to how much in demand some of these Maxx books are and it seems every other week we’re seeing record sale prices on any number of books, so was curious when I saw the listing.

(shrug) 3 known copies of one colour and 8 of the other. Rarity speaks for itself. Worth it to a collector looking for extremely rare books not put in circulation? Dunno, out of my wheelhouse.

How about that single silver cover, which was most likely a submitter filling out the paperwork wrong to see if CGC will catch it. lol

A yellow ashcan 3 went for 1500. I'd like to know how much pandama got for all her 1 and 3 black ashcans 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, Dr. Dank said:

(shrug) 3 known copies of one colour and 8 of the other. Rarity speaks for itself. Worth it to a collector looking for extremely rare books not put in circulation? Dunno, out of my wheelhouse.

How about that single silver cover, which was most likely a submitter filling out the paperwork wrong to see if CGC will catch it. lol

A yellow ashcan 3 went for 1500. I'd like to know how much pandama got for all her 1 and 3 black ashcans 

It's a manufactured test book.  Rarity doesn't tell the whole picture.  If you think it's such a great buy, why don't you buy it.  lol

And wasn't that yellow 3 your copy you put for sale?  You didn't even mention that you were selling it, were you concerned that the book wouldn't sell?  

On 8/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, steveinthecity said:

I would have to guess more than the 6k paid in 2013, but I don’t really follow the ups or downs in the OA market.  Kind of why I was asking.  This thread opened my eyes to how much in demand some of these Maxx books are and it seems every other week we’re seeing record sale prices on any number of books, so was curious when I saw the listing.

The Yellow 2 I bought a few months back I paid maybe $100 more than I paid for the previous copy I bought 13 years ago.....both raws in the same condition, and if you look at many of the sales of the blues and reds the prices have been more or less steady in a range.  

On 8/25/2021 at 6:44 AM, spreads said:

It's a manufactured test book.  Rarity doesn't tell the whole picture.  If you think it's such a great buy, why don't you buy it.  lol

And wasn't that yellow 3 your copy you put for sale?  You didn't even mention that you were selling it, were you concerned that the book wouldn't sell?  

Ok? 

So this may be a dumb question. I was recently going through and switching some books out with mylar and came up on my Comic Talk issues. There's 2 versions, this has been well known for a while. There's a version with a red dot and writing and the bottom of the back cover which is printed on there. I assumed these were the first printings and the second had been fixed to remove them. When I opened up the copies I found something really weird. The books with the "error" on the back cover are printed with the pages in ORDER. The copies with the correct back cover however have the pages printed completely out of order. This leads me to think they fixed the second run, but I'm trying to figure 2 things out. 1, why would there be an error on the back cover of a book that was being examined for an error already? Do I have it backwards and when the back cover "error" edition they rushed out another printing but with the pages out of order?  2, I have multiple copies and this is the case for all of them. Is this a variant? An error? A second printing?  With the rising prices on Comic Talk very curious...

20210905_182414.jpg

On 9/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Been told there have been offers upwards of 5k for these....

Also been told the last sale was 2013 at 2500 for the blue I think, may have been the red 

Screenshot_20210908-134222_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-134212_eBay.jpg

"Been Told"  Are you the seller of this book?  It's alright if you are, no need for secrecy here - we're all friends!  

On 9/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, spreads said:

"Been Told"  Are you the seller of this book?  It's alright if you are, no need for secrecy here - we're all friends!  

The information is on another forum and not allowed to be posted here 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Been told there have been offers upwards of 5k for these....

Also been told the last sale was 2013 at 2500 for the blue I think, may have been the red 

Screenshot_20210908-134222_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-134212_eBay.jpg

I may be the only one that was crazy enough to pay over a grand for some of those Maxx test prints some years back. I still think they are very cool, but these current asking prices are just fishing for a good offer. $16,800? I can buy two Maxx covers by Sam for that. And I’ll take original art over printed books no matter how rare the book is any day. 

On 9/10/2021 at 8:52 PM, Scam Likely said:

I may be the only one that was crazy enough to pay over a grand for some of those Maxx test prints some years back. I still think they are very cool, but these current asking prices are just fishing for a good offer. $16,800? I can buy two Maxx covers by Sam for that. And I’ll take original art over printed books no matter how rare the book is any day. 

Ya exactly.  And just to clarify, when I bought RMA's maxx black back in 2008 I believe it was, it was a record sale.  I have no qualms about paying good money for the ashcans, but the asking prices on these 'test' books is sheer lunacy.