• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

My question is, who pays to grade and slab a 4.5 and who the hell sent in a 2.0 to be graded? Strange times.

Either people who had books with hidden interior defects they were unaware of, or people who can't grade and therefore thought that their 4.5 was a 9.0. Or, sometimes people slab their OO copies for sentimental reasons that have nothing to do with value.

Some people think they should slab everything they have.

I saw a post somewhere else and a guy said he does that. It's his "business model". Good luck with that one.

What makes this book so tough to find in 9.8 and above? Is it the black back cover and black/red front cover being magnets for defects? Or were Marvel's printing standards not up to snuff in 1988?
I recall hearing this issue is known for having a miscut, but shouldn't affect the grade since CGC doesn't deduct for printing errors, it has more to do with the largely black cover since those always show the worse defects. If I'm wrong please chime in.

Many copies of the book have a "ragged" right edge from poor cutting. CGC doesn't discount for this, (generally), so that's not really the issue.

The main problem is the combination of the paper and ink used. It happens to be a combination that attracts and magnifies oils, so finger oils are nearly impossible to remove when they're on, even if wiped. As well...the black back cover ad shows everything. This is not a case of "black covers being rare in high grade", because that is a myth. The reality is black (and dark) solid colors SHOW wear far more readily than busy artwork, or solid white/lighter areas.

The back cover, much like #301, is simply unforgiving.

Same with #298 as well, by the way.

Many copies of the book have a "ragged" right edge from poor cutting. CGC doesn't discount for this, (generally), so that's not really the issue.

The main problem is the combination of the paper and ink used. It happens to be a combination that attracts and magnifies oils, so finger oils are nearly impossible to remove when they're on, even if wiped. As well...the black back cover ad shows everything. This is not a case of "black covers being rare in high grade", because that is a myth. The reality is black (and dark) solid colors SHOW wear far more readily than busy artwork, or solid white/lighter areas.

The back cover, much like #301, is simply unforgiving.

Same with #298 as well, by the way.

I remember that big argument about black covers being rare in high grade. That implies that people just went aggressive on black covers whenever they saw one. Babied other lighter covered books.

As said, a cover like 300 just shows flaws that seem to light up like a Christmas tree. I think CGC goes easy on this book despite this.