• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Totally agree; this book is definitely not a 6.0 without the chipping.  Looks more like an 8.0.  However, I still would rather have a 6.0 with your basic set of 6.0 defects than this 6.0.  

Ok,  so for you a 6.0 without paper loss is more desireable even though there are some out there that might not like those particular defects,  could be staining for example or large writing.    

For others I get the feeling that they feel this should be in a 4.5 holder because of the paper loss assuming CGC doesn't downgrade for chipping/paper loss

This is the same thing the hobby went through when label notes were on the book.  Some people felt that the notes such as an arrival date or writing weren't reflected in the grade while others (CGC/dealers) knew that they were.  

Edited by blazingbob

58 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I've just talked to CGC about this

This is absolutely NOT true "All joking aside, I’ve never understood not downgrading a book for marvel chipping. It seemed to defy the visual test "

CGC downgrades for marvel chipping using size measurements on how much chipping their is.

I didn’t mean to imply Cgc doesn’t incorporate Mc into their grading. I was referring to the visual appeal being downgraded. 

11 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Ok,  so lets stop (GATOR) saying that CGC doesn't downgrade for chipping (Paper loss).

I never said that. Geesh

4 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I didn’t mean to imply Cgc doesn’t incorporate Mc into their grading. I was referring to the visual appeal being downgraded. 

"All joking aside, I’ve never understood not downgrading a book for marvel chipping. It seemed to defy the visual test "

That is not how I understand what you wrote and since your opinion seems to carry a lot of weight with the buying public that could be interpreted incorrectly.  Rick says should be the new thread.

Edited by blazingbob

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

That is not how I understand what you wrote and since your opinion seems to carry a lot of weight with the buying public that could be interpreted incorrectly.  Rick says should be the new thread.

Glad i was able to clarify for everyone, then...  Never said a word about how Cgc grades a book with respect to Mc 

i thought my point was clear... apologies if it wasn’t 

46 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Totally agree; this book is definitely not a 6.0 without the chipping.  Looks more like an 8.0.  However, I still would rather have a 6.0 with your basic set of 6.0 defects than this 6.0.  

To my eye it looks closer to a 9.0.  Couple with that the white pages, deep cover colors, clean cover, and lack of creasing, I'd happily pay for that copy over a chip-free 6.0 with dingy cover inks, stains, yellowing paper, and one or more large creases.  It looks pretty damn close to the way it did the day it came onto the newsstand.

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

To my eye it looks closer to a 9.0.  Couple with that the white pages, deep cover colors, clean cover, and lack of creasing, I'd happily pay for that copy over a chip-free 6.0 with dingy cover inks, stains, yellowing paper, and one or more large creases.  It looks pretty damn close to the way it did the day it came onto the newsstand.

That's why the book ended at a strong price in my opinion.  you're in the camp that's ok with mc if the book is strong in other areas.  I'm in the camp where I want to avoid all MC books if possible unless it's a beater copy

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Will you buy a book with a 1 inch by 1 inch corner missing or piece off the top back cover?

Love books with pieces off the top of the back cover...or anywhere else on the back cover for that matter. :cloud9:

5 hours ago, blazingbob said:

What people should be asking not just about AF #15 but all big ticket purchases in general.

What level of buyer are we currently seeing in the big ticket markets?

When a Big ticket book is bought unless that buyer comes back in looking for an upgrade they have met their need and move on to the next book.

As they say Next batter is up.

Where in the A through F list do they fall into?

Have the easy sales come and gone?

Are the big ticket purchases collectors or dealers restocking their inventory for upcoming shows?

Why do certain big ticket books constantly show up for sale again and again?  

Not so easy to sell a book when you get lower in the pool.

I'll use the Big Screen TV analogy I believe I used before

A - Wants to be the first on the block to have one,  doesn't care what the price is.

B - Sees the Big screen TV but waits for prices to come down a bit.  Somebody has to go first before this buyer steps up.

C - Waits for the sale before buying one, needs a deal

D - Is buying the big screen from clearance stores

F - Beer wallet but champagne tastes,  this one is waiting to win the lottery before buying one

Bob when you decide to impart experiential knowledge like this on these boards, I honestly don't understand why it gets glossed over.  This should be an 800 page thread on its own where we all debate this beyond the tip of the iceberg above that you allude to.  I wish you'd impart more knowledge like this on a frequent basis because it certainly wasn't free for you to learn, but you're sharing it with us for free.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

I am not sure why chipping is not looked at the same way a piece off the book is looked at.

Chipping can be measured,  you add it up and you have an amount off the book.

Chipping is no different then a piece off,  only difference is it is along the edge of the book covering more ground than a piece missing just in one place.

To say that you won't buy a "Chipped copy" basically means you won't buy books with any pieces missing

Obviously People have different standards as to what defects they like in their comics and what they don’t. 

I don’t like rusty staples, I tend to shy away from unless I have no other buying options 

on silver age I don’t like marvel chipping (mainly because I always have option of a non chipped copy).  Yet I have no problem buying a book with cumulative Mc size piece out. For me, it’s the amount of visual downgrade (again don’t mis interpret for Cgc grading ) the book holds for me. An entire  edge (or some extended portion of the edge) vs one confined area of a book. 

Its my criteria. No one else’s unless they share same view ... maybe I’m in the minority  , don’t know  

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

on silver age I don’t like marvel chipping (mainly because I always have option of a non chipped copy).  

+1

9 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Its my criteria. No one else’s unless they share same view ... maybe I’m in the minority  , don’t know  

mostly likely you  are in the majority, need a poll on these boards on mc vs non mc

10 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

+1

mostly likely you  are in the majority, need a poll on these boards on mc vs non mc

I must be doing a bad job at clearly expressing my views lol I can’t imagine anyone prefers Mc over like copy without Mc  That hardly seems debatable  ...

to clarify, my point was I am ok with Mc sized localized piece out where as I am a lot less ok with Mc books. This I’m not sure if I’m majority or minority 

27 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

+1

The real poll is Paper loss versus Other defects when it comes to what copy you would buy.

This is not a one off answer.  

Put the marvel chipping/paper loss on the back cover and does the book get the same dreaded marvel chipping stigma?  If that 6.0 had a chunk off the back cover and still graded a 6.0 would it get the marvel chipping stigma,  probably not.

I've got lots of personal perk lists to pull from over the years.  Front/back cover defects,  staining,  paper loss,  marvel chipping, staple placement.