• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2022 at 10:52 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Anyone else would like to see a Spidey movie made with the Punisher?

Not me.  Hard to think of a "hero" I like less than the Punisher.  Using that character only works for me if he is depicted, definitively, as the sociopath that he is.  And while that can work pretty well for a Daredevil story, I'm not sure it works for Tom Holland teenage Spidey.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Many know AF15's story was drawn and inked by Steve Ditko and that the Kirby cover is not the one originally drawn for this issue.  But for those who don't, Steve Ditko drew a cover but Stan Lee tasked Kirby to draw a new one, and the rest is history.   

Here's that un-inked Ditko cover and as it appeared in a variant of ASM700.  I wonder if there's a version of Ditko's cover inked instead in the classic color scheme of AF15, so I could compare them better, as if it were 1963.   

350327189_Screenshot(585).thumb.png.0c0914854f9faebb6b194f09428f5655.png

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/6/2022 at 2:51 PM, october said:

Stan made the right call.

Yeah. There's something about Ditko's version though, with more onlookers visibly amazed by Spidey, instead of just being ants in the background. Overall, I expect I'd prefer how Kirby isolated Spidey also, which was more fitting for a debut.  But ideally we could compare them both properly, as they would have been inked in 1963.  Any artists w/ some free time out there?

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Cushing Fan said:

The bidding might be fierce.... there's bound to be many collectors with coverless copies.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:26 PM, Pantodude said:

Many know AF15's story was drawn and inked by Steve Ditko and that the Kirby cover is not the one originally drawn for this issue.  But for those who don't, Steve Ditko drew a cover but Stan Lee tasked Kirby to draw a new one, and the rest is history.   

Here's that un-inked Ditko cover and as it appeared in a variant of ASM700.  I wonder if there's a version of Ditko's cover inked instead in the classic color scheme of AF15, so I could compare them better, as if it were 1963.   

350327189_Screenshot(585).thumb.png.0c0914854f9faebb6b194f09428f5655.png

If I remember correctly, one reason that Stan Lee rejected this cover was because he didn't want to see the bottom of a hero's feet. Take this with a grain of salt - my memory isn't what it used to be.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:21 AM, Math Teacher said:

If I remember correctly, one reason that Stan Lee rejected this cover was because he didn't want to see the bottom of a hero's feet. Take this with a grain of salt - my memory isn't what it used to be.

He sure changed his mind in a hurry

ASM - 19.jpg

On 2/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, gadzukes said:

The bidding might be fierce.... there's bound to be many collectors with coverless copies.

The cover is in such rough shape, I wonder if the goal would be a low-grade blue label or a mid-grade purple label?  Or would the married cover mean the best you can hope for is a green label?

On 2/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Are we "get off my lawn" old  if we recall when a complete copy that looked like that wouldn't even sell in the past  for the current bid right now.