• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2022 at 1:55 PM, Math Teacher said:

As I understand it, CGC does not factor Marvel chipping into the grade. I am more than willing to be corrected.

Of course Marvel chipping is factored into the grading as a defect.  The higher the grade the more pronounced the deduction for chipping, but even midgrade comics get taken down, the magnitude depending on the severity of the chipping.  Take a look at the large front cover scans of AF15s graded CGC 4.0 - the one with white pages and extensive right edge chipping should have less wear excepting that right edge.

This Pacific Coast pedigree comic is a NM- (I know from having owned it raw and submitted it for grading) with extensive pre-Marvel tearing.

image.png.789fdb8362233b1a86bd34ec6430e52f.png

Edited by namisgr

It could also be a collector trying to put together an early Spidey run of 4.0 WITH White pages.  Definitely possible as we have our very own boardie DST who has done that feat in 5.0.  Because white pages are rare in AF 15's, I think it is a possibility OR like others have mentioned could be an older sale that was done with time payments.

With regards to mc, I think books in mid to lower grades are unaffected, but books in higher grades can be affected when it comes to the final grade depending on the severity.

Edited by Dark Knight

On 12/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, Math Teacher said:

As I understand it, CGC does not factor Marvel chipping into the grade. I am more than willing to be corrected.

You're right.  Marvel chipping is considered a "production defect", and is not factored into the grade, at least not until about 7.0.  Then maaaaybe it could hit the grade, but I can't think of too many instances where a 9.4 otherwise silver age book has marvel chipping.  

As for that "sale" on comicklink of that chipped up 4.0 with "white pages" for "78k"..

Yeah. Sure guys. :eyeroll:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

AF15 CGC 6.5 cream to off-white pages went for 96k the page quality matters in the SA much more than the GA when it comes to cream pages of any type. Personally I would never buy a SA book with that paper quality to many options for better quality out there but I did for rarer DC SA books I needed.

I think a lot of buyers feel the same same (hence the low 96k winning bid) but great buy for the top bidder owning AF15 in any grade is a great accomplishment.

Paying close to 6 figures for a book, page quality def counts.  A 6.5 last month in comicconnect broke 110k that had ow to w pages

fwiw when 6.5 were spiking in june, those were cream to ow too. I think bad chipping is worse than PQ most of the time. the 5.5 that sold right after sold for more than other 5.5s lately too despite OW pages and more tanning

On 1/13/2023 at 12:15 PM, byosti said:

fwiw when 6.5 were spiking in june, those were cream to ow too. I think bad chipping is worse than PQ most of the time. the 5.5 that sold right after sold for more than other 5.5s lately too despite OW pages and more tanning

image.thumb.png.a51e8e2c89be0991ad181e992a2dee6d.png

Here is an update to my AF15 tracker (note I have been tracking sales that don't show up in GPA as well like Clink).    The rate of decline looks like it is slowing down / flattening for these grades.     I added 5.5 to the chart capture the sentiment in the last post.    All these grades are down 40-50% from their first 2022 sale (which is also the historical peak sale for 5.5, 3.0 and 2.5 )  except for 3.5.    Even throwing out the last $36k sale for a 3.5 it is only down 30%.    

That one $100k sale of a 5.0 in June still stands out as odd - it's messing up my chart :)    But it is still sitting in the GPA data (June 29th)

1682819605_ScreenShot2023-01-13at2_04_40PM.thumb.png.4f7bbaddbc615a8bf52149e4069227b2.png

On 1/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, DC# said:

1682819605_ScreenShot2023-01-13at2_04_40PM.thumb.png.4f7bbaddbc615a8bf52149e4069227b2.png

Some of the Nasdaq speculators would kill to have a chart like this, especially since some of those former headline grabbing high flyers have cratered by some 70% to 90% from their highs, with no chance of ever recovering.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/13/2023 at 4:18 PM, DC# said:

Here is an update to my AF15 tracker (note I have been tracking sales that don't show up in GPA as well like Clink).    The rate of decline looks like it is slowing down / flattening for these grades.     I added 5.5 to the chart capture the sentiment in the last post.    All these grades are down 40-50% from their first 2022 sale (which is also the historical peak sale for 5.5, 3.0 and 2.5 )  except for 3.5.    Even throwing out the last $36k sale for a 3.5 it is only down 30%.    

That one $100k sale of a 5.0 in June still stands out as odd - it's messing up my chart :)    But it is still sitting in the GPA data (June 29th)

lol I don't miss the office doing strategic planning and line graphs

On 1/12/2023 at 1:28 PM, DT0428 said:
On 1/12/2023 at 10:57 AM, Dark Knight said:

The Heritage 9.2 copy sold for $810k.  Still a pretty strong price in my opinion.  I know some of you think it would hit a mil.  

I also thought would hit a million.  Still a strong price as last recorded gpa sale for 9.2 was shy under 600k in 2019

Well, as we all know here GPA is certainly not the be all and end all when it comes to capturing all of the comic book transaction prices.  :frown:

Although I also thought this was a relatively strong or at least reasonable price based upon the longer term trend line, other boardies/dealers in the know with better connections are hoping this is the rock bottom for AF 15 prices when it comes to the shorter term peak to trough cycle for this book here:  hm  :wishluck:

On 1/12/2023 at 2:27 PM, MrBedrock said:

As I said, there were three sales of 9.0 AF 15s at $800K or above in the last six months, including a beautifully centered and registered 9.0 copy at a little over $1 million. I appreciate your sentiment and completely agree that all things comics are cyclical, but for some reason this particular 9.2 sale seems awfully low and I guarantee the consignor is not particularly happy right now.

Definitely not a good result though if both the auction house and consignor were expecting the final price to be double what the actual realized price was.  :mad:

Then again, maybe a case of not reading the tea leaves correctly from a timing point of view.  Especially if a rising tide tends to lift all boats, similarly, a lowering tide makes it just that much harder to buck the trend and keep your boat up there, regardless of how nice it is.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, DT0428 said:
On 1/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, Dark Knight said:

The Heritage 9.2 copy sold for $810k.  Still a pretty strong price in my opinion.  I know some of you think it would hit a mil.  

I also thought would hit a million.  Still a strong price as last recorded gpa sale for 9.2 was shy under 600k in 2019

The 9.4 that sold almost two years ago for just under $800K, was much. much prettier than this 9.2.

This book had cover tanning, and a shadow at the bottom of the rear cover, and that clearly hurt it.

I can't imagine a much better current sign for the health of this book, than what this one just sold for.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, sledgehammer said:

The 9.4 that sold almost two years ago for just under $800K, was much. much prettier than this 9.2.

This book had cover tanning, and a shadow at the bottom of the rear cover, and that clearly hurt it.

I can't imagine a much better current sign for the health of this book, than what this one just sold for.

Agreed with the tanning and shadow at the bottom part of the cover.  It wasn't a very attractive 9.2.  If I was looking for a copy in this grade, I wouldn't have placed a bid on it due to the above.

I feel like there's a few 5.5s missing on here. There was a few months where a few 5.5s were going for mid 50s

On 1/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, DC# said: