• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

CGC 8.5 up for grabs on Heritage

The voldy copy with a better scan this time. Going for a bundle more this time.

Below is the link:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7158-1008.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Looks like that copy wasn't brutally over graded like everyone said it was.

I thought it was in the ballpark.

Someone is going to make out like a bandit!

I've seen it SDCC before the auction in 8/16. The scan in the former voldy case didn't do it justice the first time around. As you said, someone is going to make out like a bandit "one of the greatest flip in less than an year" .

Here is the old scan (if we are allowed to look at Voldy books). The defects are more noticeable. There is light tanning on the upper back cover. The book is signed on the last page which means to me there is penned ink in the book. Still a very nice copy. Ending at 78k, someone is easily about to double their money.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-verified-signature-marvel-1962-cbcs-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91159.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Seems very very light tanning there. Did you get the notes peewee22? Hulk 1 8.5 sold 132K, AF15 9.0 Voldy sold 237K...I think 150K at least is extremely possible.

Did not get the notes. Just stating what I see.

The Voldy label says signed on last page. Unless it was removed it is still there.

Very nice copy though.

Okay. (thumbs u I bet a clean nice autograph by Stan...At least not on the interior cover or outside cover. Not talking down Signature Series. I agree nice copy.

Why isn't there a label notation about the signature? They don't have to say it's verified, but they should at least mention that it's there. I have a 7.0 Af15 pence copy that is signed by Stan on the splash and it has a notation on the label.

Edited by gadzukes

Below is the link:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7158-1008.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I've seen it SDCC before the auction in 8/16. The scan in the former voldy case didn't do it justice the first time around. As you said, someone is going to make out like a bandit "one of the greatest flip in less than an year" .

Here is the old scan (if we are allowed to look at Voldy books). The defects are more noticeable. There is light tanning on the upper back cover. The book is signed on the last page which means to me there is penned ink in the book. Still a very nice copy. Ending at 78k, someone is easily about to double their money.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-verified-signature-marvel-1962-cbcs-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91159.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Seems very very light tanning there. Did you get the notes peewee22? Hulk 1 8.5 sold 132K, AF15 9.0 Voldy sold 237K...I think 150K at least is extremely possible.

The Voldy label says signed on last page. Unless it was removed it is still there.

Very nice copy though.

Okay. (thumbs u I bet a clean nice autograph by Stan...At least not on the interior cover or outside cover. Not talking down Signature Series. I agree nice copy.

Why isn't there a label notation about the signature? They don't have to say it's verified, but they should at least mention that it's there. I have a 7.0 Af15 pence copy that is signed by Stan on the splash and it has a notation on the label.

Was your AF15 7.0 pence copy graded a a few years ago? I've seen a boardie posted an AF15 with Stan Lee Signature (on front cover) with no notations. For this 8.5 AF15, I bet they factor the signature into the grading...and not much downgrade since it's not visible in the cover.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

How about that date stamp on the front cover? How much will that affect the price even if its in a cgc case
some collectors love date stamps. Might positively affect price (shrug)

How about that date stamp on the front cover? How much will that affect the price even if its in a cgc case
some collectors love date stamps. Might positively affect price (shrug)

I agree as it creates a piece of historical record IMHO. And there are some collectors looking for a specific date which holds a particular meaning to them.

As long as its not HUGE and doesn't affect the general appeal of the cover(as shown on this particular copy). for those who collect & desire books with date stamps, are they more desirable on a "key" book?

If it ultimately affects the price in any way would certainly be interesting to know, and worth discussing.

So it got an 8.5 from Voldy and then CGC gave it an 8.5?

Am I missing something here? ???

Is this not the exact same book that almost everybody here was basically implying was nothing more than an overgraded POS book that would only be sitting in a 7.0 to 7.5 slab if graded by CGC? :devil:

Sounds as though everybody's had their eyes checked in the past few months and their vision is so much clearer and now all of a sudden, it's a nice looking properly graded 8.5 book. :flamed:lol

Below is the link:

Are you guys all sure we are talking about the same person here? ???

Last I heard on these boards a few short months ago, almost everybody left me with the distinct impression that this poor schmuck had basically been hosed and taken to the cleaners by overpaying for this book. Implication was that the buyer was paying a high price to be schooled in the real world lessons of overgrading by the other company. :devil:

I felt so sorry for the purchaser that I was even thinking of starting up a donation box for him here. And now you guys are saying that he is going to double or possibly even have a shot at tripling his money in a few short months. doh!lol

Below is the link:

Last I heard on these boards a few short months ago, almost everybody left me with the distinct impression that this poor schmuck had basically been hosed and taken to the cleaners by overpaying for this book. Implication was that the buyer was paying a high price to be schooled in the real world lessons of overgrading by the other company. :devil:

I felt so sorry for the purchaser that I was even thinking of starting up a donation box for him here. And now you guys are saying that he is going to double or possibly even have a shot at tripling his money in a few short months. doh!lol

Better scans helped the book. I still say the book is an 8.0 at best. But it has better eye appeal and appears brighter now. Why, I don't know.

I like the date stamp. No problem there. I don't like sig books. Writing in a book bothers me. But that's a personal thing. (thumbs u

Below is the link:

I never talked down the book, but I sense the uncertain about the signature/ signature placement when graded by Voldy. The purchaser stepped up to the plate and took a chance, will do quite well. Again, the Voldy scan didn't help it much the first time around and inhibit some internet bidders no doubt.

Below is the link:

Better scans helped the book. I still say the book is an 8.0 at best. But it has better eye appeal and appears brighter now. Why, I don't know.

I like the date stamp. No problem there. I don't like sig books. Writing in a book bothers me. But that's a personal thing. (thumbs u

The date stamp is not obstrusive and is okay with me too. The market will value a CGC book a premium over Voldy.

Very nice copy though.

Was your AF15 7.0 pence copy graded a a few years ago? I've seen a boardie posted an AF15 with Stan Lee Signature (on front cover) with no notations. For this 8.5 AF15, I bet they factor the signature into the grading...and not much downgrade since it's not visible in the cover.

Mine was graded 4 or 5 years ago. I took a photo of the sig on the splash page and keep it with the slab so if I ever sell it I can show the sig to the buyer.

To me the notation on the label of the sig is a positive thing even though it's not a signature series, I think it's easy to see it's a real sig.

P1050721.jpg

P1050718.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Very nice copy though.

Mine was graded 4 or 5 years ago. I took a photo of the sig on the splash page and keep it with the slab so if I ever sell it I can show the sig to the buyer.

To me the notation on the label of the sig is a positive thing even though it's not a signature series, I think it's easy to see it's a real sig.

P1050721.jpg

P1050718.jpg

Great idea to take a picture of the splash page with the vintage Stan Lee autograph to a fan. "Now that's great history".