• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2017 at 7:23 AM, VintageComics said:

I want to make sure I'm not being misunderstood here because I was the one that initiated the conversation about books that upgrade.

I didn't say and I don't believe that every AF #15 (or any other book) that goes for a record price is upgradeable.

But I do believe that at least 2 (and likely 3) of the 3 record price books in the CC auction were upgradeable (I think it's worth noting that there were several other books that did not sell for record prices).

Roy;

As you have said many times before, you cannot really grade a book simply from just a front and back cover scan.  I fully agree with your point that you need to have the actual book in hand in order to grade it properly.

So, how would potential bidders for a book be able to determine if a particular book is "upgradeable" or possibly have upgrade potential if they do not have not seen the actual book in question?  Is it simply nothing more than a best guess based upon what they are seeing on the covers or do they do it in combination with the Grader's Notes in order to hopefully provide them with more information?  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

As you have said many times before, you cannot really grade a book simply from just a front and back cover scan.  I fully agree with your point that you need to have the actual book in hand in order to grade it properly.

So, how would potential bidders for a book be able to determine if a particular book is "upgradeable" or possibly have upgrade potential if they do not have not seen the actual book in question?  Is it simply nothing more than a best guess based upon what they are seeing on the covers or do they do it in combination with the Grader's Notes in order to hopefully provide them with more information?  hm

Nothing wrong with going to the auction house and viewing a book. If someone is real serious about spending upper five figures, go see it. I did.

Well the 3 AF15's (blue labels) on ComicConnect are ending in a few hours.

So far they are at

CGC 4.0 = 30 500$

CGC 6.5 = 61 000$

CGC 7.5 = 96 200$

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

Graders notes will typically detail "pressable" defects 

On 4/30/2017 at 8:14 AM, zhamlau said:

Anyone know what the cheapest available 4.0 is right now to buy? Not auction, not "make offer". Like who has the cheapest 4.0 for sale as of today anyone can buy? The average price for reported sales went from 13-16k (going up as time went on).  Whats the least you can pay for it today?

At the end of the day, what someone will sell it for right now tells you what you need to know about this book. Anyone willing to sell ANY unrestored decent PQ copy of this book for any price within 25% of 2016 prices?

Sure, but let me first ask my financial comic guru for his advice.  Wow that was fast he actually just responded down below.

tumblr_me23vdZIlv1qes4vwo1_500_zps688d94

Edited by nWo_22

7 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

:whatthe: $102000.00 and I have to admit that I'm surprised at this amount. I know I shouldn't be with all that is transpiring in the market, but I am.

Actually, I was more surprised that not a single one of these relatively higher graded copies of AF 15's even even went into the extended bidding time period, as the final prices were set either a few hours prior to the end of the auction or in some cases, a few days before the end of the auction.  :whatthe:

Unlike the last CC auctions withe the AF 15's, I guess all of the bidders placed their high bids prior to the end of the auction on this go round and didn't bother to go back in to bid again at the end.  hm

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, I was more surprised that not a single one of these relatively higher graded copies of AF 15's even even went into the extended bidding time period, as the final prices were set either a few hours prior to the end of the auction or in some cases, a few days before the end of the auction.  :whatthe:

Unlike the last CC auctions withe the AF 15's, I guess all of the bidders placed their high bids prior to the end of the auction on this go round and didn't bother to go back in to bid again at the end.  hm

High bidder set the bar early: "go big or go home!" :ohnoez:

4 hours ago, nWo_22 said:
On 4/30/2017 at 11:14 AM, zhamlau said:

Anyone know what the cheapest available 4.0 is right now to buy? Not auction, not "make offer". Like who has the cheapest 4.0 for sale as of today anyone can buy? The average price for reported sales went from 13-16k (going up as time went on).  Whats the least you can pay for it today?

At the end of the day, what someone will sell it for right now tells you what you need to know about this book. Anyone willing to sell ANY unrestored decent PQ copy of this book for any price within 25% of 2016 prices?

Sure, but let me first ask my financial comic guru for his advice.  Wow that was fast he actually just responded down below.

tumblr_me23vdZIlv1qes4vwo1_500_zps688d94

? I dont follow. I was asking if anyone had seen a copy of the book for anywhere near 2016 prices, the lack of examples seemed to indicate there was a major price jump? Was this you disagreeing?

2 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:
4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

How did the copies end tonight? A 7.5 I heard sold for over 100k, what did the rest do?

6.5 @ 61k

4.0 @ 30.5k

Yep, just as scary as the 7.5. I mean dear lord, where is all this money coming from? 4.0 for over 30k?!?! A copy just sold for like 21k a few weeks back. Thats almost 50% more in less than a month?!?! Yeah I got it grade variations, all 4.0's not created equal and all that....but dear lord that big a swing in a few weeks on a book that in theory should be equivalent?

Either the grading system CGC uses needs to change (If the same numeric grade can be 50% more in a few weeks because of condition factors in grade, you need a better more precise system to document those variations)...OR...this book was criminally undervalued and some weird sorta 100 monkey effect is going on where we all just collectively agreed to double the prices in a few months after 50 years of slow building pressure.

11 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

6.5 @ 61k

4.0 @ 30.5k

I will be the 1st to admit I thought the CGC 6.5 was going to go for between 70k and 75k....I was wrong!!

6 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Yep, just as scary as the 7.5. I mean dear lord, where is all this money coming from? 4.0 for over 30k?!?! A copy just sold for like 21k a few weeks back. Thats almost 50% more in less than a month?!?! Yeah I got it grade variations, all 4.0's not created equal and all that....but dear lord that big a swing in a few weeks on a book that in theory should be equivalent?

Either the grading system CGC uses needs to change (If the same numeric grade can be 50% more in a few weeks because of condition factors in grade, you need a better more precise system to document those variations)...OR...this book was criminally undervalued and some weird sorta 100 monkey effect is going on where we all just collectively agreed to double the prices in a few months after 50 years of slow building pressure.

I believe this book still is/and was ''criminally undervalued'' compared to comparable important books such as AC 1 and TEC 27.....yes these 2 are much rarer but the popularity of Spidey is a factor people should never forget!!

Edited by SC22

5 minutes ago, SC22 said:
17 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

6.5 @ 61k

4.0 @ 30.5k

I will be the 1st to admit I thought the CGC 6.5 was going to go for between 70k and 75k....I was wrong!!

A 6.5 sold for like 36k just a few months ago, with decent PQ as well. It was a solid book if i remember correctly. Thats coming close to a 100% price increase in same grade against the last recorded GPA sale back a few months ago. Thats stupid enough. These prices dont make sense.

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

A 6.5 sold for like 36k just a few months ago, with decent PQ as well. It was a solid book if i remember correctly. Thats coming close to a 100% price increase in same grade against the last recorded GPA sale back a few months ago. Thats stupid enough. These prices dont make sense.

Does not make sens how? Spidey is the king of a super important age in comic book history....it makes total sens!!

Edited by SC22