• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:
3 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

what are the commission rates for selling on CC and CL?

10 percent 

Which means it's less than eBay once you add in the PayPal fees and yet you still have to do all of the heavy lifting (i.e. work) without the same concentration of targeted and focused buyers for your books.  hm

Not sure why anybody would ever list their vintage quality books for auction on eBay(shrug)

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Which means it's less than eBay once you add in the PayPal fees and yet you still have to do all of the heavy lifting (i.e. work) without the same concentration of targeted and focused buyers for your books.  hm

Not sure why anybody would ever list their vintage quality books for auction on eBay.  (shrug)

Ebay only takes $250 + PP fees (if you have a store) or $750 + PP if you don't.  Thus any item above $7500 you are paying less than 10%.  An item of considerable worth call it $50,000 you would do much better on fees with eBay than Clink/CC.

If you are   selling, I'm  really failing to see what the attraction of Ebay is if it's a high end book as opposed to putting it out with someone like Bob Storm. I paid Bob an 8.75 commission but he sold it for a ton more than books sell for on ebay. Now, I can see ebay for low end or non graded/slabbed books where the info inevitably says "Shucks, I'm not a pro grader but this one's purdy nice"  but then the immediate reaction here is often that it's a con job. That's not an environment where I would have ever considered putting my collection when I did sell it. 

Talking 3%, 10%, name it. Selling with Bob let us set the price. There's no auction shock in the outcome when it goes really low. You just wait. It took 55 days and he got his price. It wasn't mine really. He said "We can get this". Given that when I started down this path, a bit less than a year ago, I was ready to put the AF 15 raw out there and take $3K. Fortunately my son, and a really nice guy in Maine said that I could do better. Then I realized I could and began to learn all about what I had been amassing as a teenager so many decades go. At the point where I knew something, I thought I might get 40K for the whole collection. I was told, I'd be incredibly lucky to get a bit less than that. 

Then Bob contacted me and I had him up to the house. He was great. The AF15 sold for far more than I had hoped for out of the whole pile.  The man knows the business. If you are selling I would urge you to think long and hard about how you choose to sell. Ebay feels way too much like the wild west fraught with con artists and auction houses just aren't getting the dollars the high end books are capable of pulling with a competent intermediary. Bob was worth his weight in gold for me. 

This site functions at several levels. Some are dealers, some collectors. They don't necessarily want the same things. 

nuff said. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 10/7/2017 at 6:02 AM, Iceman399 said:
On 10/7/2017 at 12:35 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure why anybody would ever list their vintage quality books for auction on eBay.  (shrug)

Ebay only takes $250 + PP fees (if you have a store) or $750 + PP if you don't.  Thus any item above $7500 you are paying less than 10%.  An item of considerable worth call it $50,000 you would do much better on fees with eBay than Clink/CC.

Already aware that there was some kind of threshold level that eBay fees would not surpass, but did not know what the exact amount.  Nice to know that it's at $750.  (thumbsu

Only concern is that I bet the percentage of books in most of our collections that surpass $7,500 is only a very miniscule percentage of the total.  The other concern is that the eyeballs that are looking at auctions on eBay are probably not the right ones and that is why collectors generally very seldom if ever put their books up in a No Reserve true auction format, as opposed to the ubiquitous BIN format you see throughout the so-called comic "auctions" on eBayhm

49 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Already aware that there was some kind of threshold level that eBay fees would not surpass, but did not know what the exact amount.  Nice to know that it's at $750.  (thumbsu

Only concern is that I bet the percentage of books in most of our collections that surpass $7,500 is only a very miniscule percentage of the total.  The other concern is that the eyeballs that are looking at auctions on eBay are probably not the right ones and that is why collectors generally very seldom if ever put their books up in a No Reserve true auction format, as opposed to the ubiquitous BIN format you see throughout the so-called comic "auctions" on eBay.  hm

Im not saying eBay is the best auction house, they all have advantages and disadvantages. If eBay didn't have decent results we wouldn't see big books auctioned off there... Sparkle city does very well running eBay auctions, or the asc8/ww1/sc1 a month ago, or the action 1.  Heck I've seen a number of af15s set gpa highs on eBay.  I've seen gpa lows as well, I've also seen gpa lows and highs in clink, cc, ha... There is no safe bet when running an auction... You can get 2 guys fighting and set a huge record or the second guy forgets and set a huge low. 

I'm not seeing the huge records on ebay, occasionally , I do see the BIN prices , but, so what?  Yes, in auctions but as long as GPA does not record the dealers in their sales, , you're flying without radar.  E bay continues to generate an enormous amount of fraud, near as I can see from reactions on this board. I don't need fraud as a factor.  Ten dollar books are not the same animal as high end books. 

Is anyone really putting nice unchipped copies of AF for sale in auction format on EBAY?

I see BIN for full retail, and it seems everytime the copy either has heavy chipping OR is priced at what would be a record price for BIN.

Anyone seen an auction format ebay sale of a mid-high grade AF 15 without chipping recently?

4 hours ago, Sabersaw said:

This one is mine. when I purchased it, I never thought of the complications involved when trying to sell it. Reading these comments are stressing me out!

af 15.jpg

Don't let the doom and gloomers get you down, you've got one if the most "liquid" books in the hobby, you'll be fine.

4 hours ago, Sabersaw said:

This one is mine. when I purchased it, I never thought of the complications involved when trying to sell it. Reading these comments are stressing me out!

Nice book! We are AF15 grade-bros! (thumbsu

I personally did the hard labour myself when I liquified a large cards collection and transformed it to a small bunch of awesome comic books. I don't plan on selling them - unless I decide to upgrade a few of them. My kids can decide when I kick the bucket what they will do with them. I may leave them a couple of links to reputable auction houses but thats all lol. But honestly, with books like AF15 it won't be difficult at all to sell when you decide. So relax and enjoy the feeling of owning a cool unique piece of popular culture history!

1 hour ago, thedude said:

Don't let the doom and gloomers get you down, you've got one if the most "liquid" books in the hobby, you'll be fine.

An easy book to sell, many different options on selling the book, sold many in the last 8 years

On 10/6/2017 at 1:29 PM, Spiderturtle said:

You letting go one of yours?  

On 10/6/2017 at 2:29 PM, Spiderturtle said:

How does GPA handle the buyer's premium?  If you don't include that, doesn't it significantly distort / depress the numbers?