• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

So, Bob sold my AF15  5.0 yesterday and has a deposit.  50K.

Congrats.

22 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Glassman is getting paid $50k from Bob...does that mean the book sold for $50,000?  I don't think it does.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the original comment from Glassman above.

I took it to mean that Bob Had sold the book for $50K and Glassman would be getting the remaining proceeds from this after factoring in Bob's consignment fee for selling the book. 

Of course, your interpretation could also be correct here.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it depends on how you interpret the original comment from Glassman above.

I took it to mean that Bob Had sold the book for $50K and Glassman would be getting the remaining proceeds from this after factoring in Bob's consignment fee for selling the book. 

Of course, your interpretation could also be correct here.  (shrug)

Oh he definitely could have sold it straight up for cash.  Just the claim that because a "sale" happened doesn't mean it can be recorded on GPA.
I'll throw another situation out there (and I have no knowledge).  If Bob is charging his consignment fee (which I think is 8.75% for the value).  The Buyer offers Bob $49,500 (wanting a small discount on the book) rather than bob ask the seller if he wants to accept the new price Bob takes it upon himself to take a small cut on his % to make the deal happen.  Or he does ask the seller and he's firm at $50k.  Bob decides to take the cut to make the deal happen regardless.

All I'm trying to say is that just because a book sold for "$50,000" and it being reported in the thread, without all of the particulars doesn't mean the sale should be reported to GPA.

Edited by Iceman399

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The way you stated the comment about 'It will never be on GPA' seems to imply you feel this is a good thing ? I don't really care but many here feel reporting sales is important. Also, if George (the 'G' in GPA) is reading this, he can now choose to report your sale, after all, you verified it.

No, I'm saying it's outside the conventional reporting channels GPA uses and in actuality I would like to see the whole picture of a book value on GPA which means they have to work harder but I've gotten beaten back on that notion from many people.  I posted a sales price, I didn't post what I received and out of respect for Bob's wishes, I won't say more about that. I will say there's no intent to deceive anyone at all. 

In the overall picture, it seems clear to me that going the auction route is not in the best interets of the seller. It may allow dealers who know the buy/ sell trend better than most an opportunity to pick up books under real market value.

I'm glad I'm out now with nothing remaining but these really dumb Thors to read.  My Kid gets the down payment money and I'll fix the MGB.  All for a comic book. That is stunning in and by itself.  Puerto Rico is dying. 

Edited by Glassman10

Bob and I have been back and forth this afternoon. All I can say is he did exactly what he thought he could do: Did it. I

did talk to vincent but the only one who immediately said he would come up her to NH was Bob. I think he did well and clearly so did I. We had a very pleasant evening and next morning. He was straight ahead and we set up what we both was the best possible way to go forward. I'm a happy camper regardless of the potential doubters .

Thanks Bob, this was really easy.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:45 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 9/25/2017 at 7:41 PM, Jaydogrules said:

With how grossly inconsistent CGC is in how they divine "PQ", no one can know either way.   

-J.

So you don't believe in CGC's opinion on Page Quality calling it grossly inconsistent. Yet you firmly believe in their opinion on grade.  Combine this with your selective 'data' to back your claims and your statements have no credibility. Do you ever notice that when you bring this same silly argument up, you stand alone. Nobody ever backs you. 

Jaydog always uses words like 'grossly' to try and make his argument sound more true but in my experience of getting books graded they are more accurate than less accurate on PQ.

Thanks Lou. My son gets a down payment, Mary Beth gets her bomb proof chicken coop and I'll rebuild the engine and put new paint on the '70 MGB. And..Bob assures me it's a cash sale and I could post a picture of the check but I'm not going to do that, . I think that anyone selling books should check out the high end stuff Bob has sold in the last 90 days. It's quite the pile.  The only part that puzzles me is that the client did not want to see all of the photos my son took of each and every page of the AF 15, close up.  I would sure want to see them .  

So, everyone, There's broken down school busses all over America. Get to work! 

On 9/25/2017 at 11:47 PM, Jaydogrules said:

1)Edge tanning can also be caused by sun/dust shadows and even foxing at times, none of which has any affect on paper suppleness (ie "page quality").

Foxing does not cause edge tanning or sun/ dust shadows. It's nothing like those things.

And anyone who has handled a lot of raw books knows that foxing has an effect on paper suppleness. Generally books with foxing have terrific paper quality in my experience.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:47 PM, Jaydogrules said:

whereas the alleged "PQ" is not, as that is not simply a reflection of the literal "colour" of anything, but the suppleness of paper in hand ("page 'QUALITY'").

This is incorrect. It's a combination of both.

The only time paper quality is called 'brittle' is if it actually is. Then the color of the paper is irrelevant.

If it isn't brittle then the color of the paper is designated to my knowledge.

On 9/26/2017 at 12:31 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Short of a book being shaken to death in the slab, no, the structural grade is not likely subject to change, and even then, it is something that can be ascertained visually through the slab.

Incorrect.

On 9/26/2017 at 12:31 AM, Jaydogrules said:

With that, I am literally at the mercy of whatever CGC decides to call it that day.  

As you are with the grade, but CGC is more consistent with PQ than you make them out to be. I'm basing this on slabbing books for 15 years.

16 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Foxing does not cause edge tanning or sun/ dust shadows. It's nothing like those things.

And anyone who has handled a lot of raw books knows that foxing has an effect on paper suppleness. Generally books with foxing have terrific paper quality in my experience.

Nope.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxing

"Although unsightly and a negative factor in the value of the paper item for collectors, foxing does not affect the actual integrity of the paper."

And I didn't say foxing "causes" dust or sun shadows.  I said those three things can  (and do) cause the appearance of edge tanning, which has nothing to do with the alleged "PQ" (paper suppleness) cited on the label.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 9/26/2017 at 10:07 AM, namisgr said:
On 9/26/2017 at 1:18 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Whereas I will never know whether or not that "PQ" on the label means anything unless I crack the book out of the slab and fondle it myself. 

-J.

And herein lies the explanation for your blind spot.  You don't submit appreciable numbers of comics for encapsulation.  Anyone who's had significant numbers of early SA comics graded knows that the interior covers sometimes exhibit tanning halos front and back, and this is typically accompanied by inferior page quality.  They also know that CGC downgrades for interior as well as exterior cover edge tanning, with the magnitude of the downgrade depending on the severity of the edge tanning and the numerical grade of the book had it not had the tanning.

This is exactly it.

17 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I'll throw another situation out there (and I have no knowledge).  If Bob is charging his consignment fee (which I think is 8.75% for the value).  The Buyer offers Bob $49,500 (wanting a small discount on the book) rather than bob ask the seller if he wants to accept the new price Bob takes it upon himself to take a small cut on his % to make the deal happen.  Or he does ask the seller and he's firm at $50k.  Bob decides to take the cut to make the deal happen regardless.

So you are saying Bob is open to taking a cut from his commission fee ? Interesting. I never thought of asking for this. Good info. 

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Incorrect.

Can you elaborate on your statement about comics in slabs not being damaged. You're incorrect response to jay. Sorry can't figure out quote function. 

Edited by NoMan