• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

You can tell the pressing as the upper right corner is razor sharp. Good to see it again. 

I see. I recall in the old AF15 Club tread, you showed an image of a 7.0 WP and I believe it's this copy. This really confirms the bone white pages of this copy, since it stills retains it's WP designation as an 8.5. Again, thanks for sharing the origin of this copy. You and I should be proud of our 8.0's...only 49 copies in 8.0+ in the CGC census. :cloud9:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

3 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

I see. I recall in the old AF15 Club tread, you showed an image of a 7.0 WP and I believe it's the copy. This really confirms the bone white pages this copy, since it stills retains it's WP designation as an 8.5. Again, thanks for sharing the origin of this copy. You and I should be proud of our 8.0's...only 49 copies in the CGC census. :cloud9:

It shows climate has a lot to do with PQ. Book was found in a Maine summerhouse attic. Cool temps up there. 2 kids would buy comics before staying there each summer then store them.

And very proud...(thumbsu

Edited by peewee22

Just now, peewee22 said:

It shows climate has a lot to do with PQ. Book was found in a Maine summerhouse attic. Cool temps up there. 2 kids would buy comics before staying there each summer then store them.

True. Cooler climate and stored well and the kids really took care of them. Was there a lot of early Marvel's in this collections or perhaps early DC's SA?

12 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

True. Cooler climate and stored well and the kids really took care of them. Was there a lot of early Marvel's in this collections or perhaps early DC's SA?

Marvels and DCs I think. The internet links that I used to browse the comics in the run are no longer active. Most had the same PQ.

8 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Love to visit old books. Here is the AF15 from the Maine Summerhouse collection. I believe Brent at Quasar Comics found this collection in the early to mid 2000s. Note how nice & clean the grays are. Initially graded a 7.0 with white pages. Sold for 20k. Then pressed up to an 8.0. I remember when it sold for 60k then I lost sight of it. Not my book but I found it in the archives. Always loved this book. Just a killer copy in the raw state. :insane:

I vividly remember that book hitting the market. Awesome, awesome book. It was mid 2000's.

8 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Marvels and DCs I think. The internet links that I used to browse the comics in the run are no longer active. Most had the same PQ.

Here is a link to the history of the Maine Summer Vacation Home Collection, when you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is another link that will show a portion of comics in the collection...even the AF15 when it was raw and after grading.

http://www.quasarcomics.com/museum/MSVHC/index.htm

James

On 5/31/2017 at 10:55 AM, G.A.tor said:

I find lots of different camps, obviously, out there...these are a few I have identified (though by no means inclusive of every owner of the book...too many variables)

you have the "forever" collector...and by "forever", I mean is honestly not concerned with value of the book...they don't care what the market is on the book, because they aren't selling (nor are they interested in buying a copy, because they've had theirs "Forever")

you have the "new wave " collector...they seem keenly interested in the value, want it to go up, up , up, because they collect with some level of investment or realization of value of their book, but they enjoy the book and probably aren't selling (right now)...if they haven't bought yet, they seem "desperate" to get a copy before the next price jump

you have the investor collector...they strictly buy with investment motivation...they almost get sweaty palms as each new auction ends...most of these try to "pump" the market at every opportunity (and why not, they are motivated)

you have the dealer (who may or may not collect).... folks that buy and sell and try to do it profitably...these folks have to be aware of the market (moving in both directions), and react...hard to stay neutral, but outside of their own inventory, really have little to no influence on the market (no matter how many copies they buy and sell)

just some random thoughts...I might be wrong on all!

Nice overview.  Personally I would put myself in the collector/investor category.  No way am  I going to drop $10k (most I've yet paid for a book) on a comic unless I feel that some day I will get at least my money back.  I would tweak your description just a little though.  Since I am still in the accumulation period I like it when prices are under pressure.  Got some great deals around 2009 for instance.

4 hours ago, Qtr milerocket said:

Here is a link to the history of the Maine Summer Vacation Home Collection, when you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is another link that will show a portion of comics in the collection...even the AF15 when it was raw and after grading.

http://www.quasarcomics.com/museum/MSVHC/index.htm

James

Thanks for the link. Interesting that some titles have a gap of 10 months apart, due to the vacation home stay time frame. Wow, and the only Spiderman book was an Amazing Fantasy 15...and more DC related too.

38 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Thanks for the link. Interesting that some titles have a gap of 10 months apart, due to the vacation home stay time frame. Wow, and the only Spiderman book was an Amazing Fantasy 15...and more DC related too.

This was the link I always went to. Funny, I could not find it this time.

Did you see the Avengers 1 in 6.5? That was the only other Marvel.

28 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

This was the link I always went to. Funny, I could not find it this time.

Did you see the Avengers 1 in 6.5? That was the only other Marvel.

Did see the the Avengers 1 too. There were other Marvels/Publishers, but majority DC's. :nyah:

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

No problem, it's amazing the two brothers took such good care of their books, that plus a good environment to store them.

Just saw a CGC 5.0 for sale on Comiclink. Bold colors, great centering, and significant amount of Marvel chipping.

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1186693&id=1186693 

Does anyone have links to the last 5.0s that recently sold for over $30K? 

Edited by silverweb