• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Daredevil #158 and #168 were $25 books shortly after they came out.

;-p

Didn't Miller have to get going and get a following before 158 could be seen as of value? It doesn't make sense that 158 was of value out-of-the-gate. I wasn't collecting back then so I have no first hand knowledge and as always, I'm probably wrong.

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Didn't Miller have to get going and get a following before 158 could be seen as of value? It doesn't make sense that 158 was of value out-of-the-gate. I wasn't collecting back then so I have no first hand knowledge and as always, I'm probably wrong.

I think that by 'shortly', Roy may have meant after a couple of years.  I bought the Miller run off the rack, and don't remember there being any hoarding or hub-bub about the title at the time.  Although the originality and quality of the story lines and art stood out right away.

Edited by namisgr

13 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

I'm at the cottage right now and don't have access to my early Overstreets.  There is no way that $25 was the case for AF #15 in 1964.  Maybe double its value at 25 cents.  

Strongly doubt that Overstreet would be of much help with respect to 1964 prices since its first edition was not until 1970.  hm

Speaking of that 1970 first price guide, it looks like they had AF 15 listed at a whopping $16 in Mint condition.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, namisgr said:
2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I think that by 'shortly', Roy may have meant after a couple of years.  I bought the Miller run off the rack, and don't remember there being any hoarding or hub-bub about the title at the time.  Although the originality and quality of the story lines and art stood out right away.

If I remember correctly, the Miller DD books were quite hot by the time the issues were into the mid 170's and definitely well before the big 181 Death of Elektra issue which which must have been one of the biggest hoarded issues of all time. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Strongly doubt that Overstreet would be of much help with respect to 1964 prices since its first edition was not until 1970.  hm

Speaking of that 1970 first price guide, it looks like they had AF 15 listed at a whopping $16 in Mint condition.  :gossip:

Well actually Lou that proves my point perfectly....if it was $16 in 1970 then there was no way it was $25 in 64.  

Without NoMan chiming back in, that would have been our best way to deduce what the 1964 price might have been.

jim

15 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

I've only owned the complete super man pages of ac1, all slabbed seperately but brittle pages.  Only owned a tec 27 slabbed but only the non batman pages and coverless.  I was cool owning the ac1 pages.  Wish i could own a complete unrestored tec 27 or action 1.   There was an ac1 cgc 0.5 but that was gobbled up right away i believe last year.

About 5 or 6 years ago there was an Action #1 on the wall for display in WW Chicago. I know the owner (who is a boardie) and put in a decentoffer on the book. The boardie declined.

That was about as close as I've ever gotten to owning a copy.

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
12 hours ago, jjfversion1 said:

What are the odds that these public offers are no more than just shills to drive up the perceived value of the book? hm

Shilled offers on ComicConnect and ComicLink are somewhat commonplace. There have been quite a few reported in Comics General over the years when flagged.

I remember bidding on my first book on an exchange and expecting a counter offer.

The seller accepted my bid (much to my surprise). lol

6 hours ago, namisgr said:
6 hours ago, NoMan said:

Correct. It took a few years but I remember paying about $25 or $30 for my 1st #158 and #168 (which I didn't buy off the rack).

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Shilled offers on ComicConnect and ComicLink are somewhat commonplace. There have been quite a few reported in Comics General over the years when flagged.

What if the shiller is an accomplice of the sellers with no real intention to purchase the book and instead is helping him pump it? At least ebay doesn't allow you to see other offers until the auction has actually ended. Any potential buyer will now perceive the comic as a minimum 40k book. I'm sure there are even more shills on these sites that go un-flagged on a regular basis that are being schemed by shady people.

Okay, time to take my tin foil hat off...

25 minutes ago, jjfversion1 said:
13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

What if the shiller is an accomplice of the sellers with no real intention to purchase the book and instead is helping him pump it? At least ebay doesn't allow you to see other offers until the auction has actually ended. Any potential buyer will now perceive the comic as a minimum 40k book. I'm sure there are even more shills on these sites that go un-flagged on a regular basis that are being schemed by shady people.

Contrary to ComicLink where a shilled offer will set the new acceptable minimum offer, doesn't work that way on ComicConnect. I just made a 15K offer on the CC AF copy.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Gotham Kid

16 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

I've only owned the complete super man pages of ac1, all slabbed seperately but brittle pages.  Only owned a tec 27 slabbed but only the non batman pages and coverless.  I was cool owning the ac1 pages.  Wish i could own a complete unrestored tec 27 or action 1.   There was an ac1 cgc 0.5 but that was gobbled up right away i believe last year.

I think that was the one in FL for $110k?  Was you AC 1 pages the ones where someone stapled them together 3 x and you can see the 3 staple marks where the pages were torn apart ?  What 's the going rate on those pages today??  (I realize this is an AF 15 forum but since it was brought up and commented on before.......)

3 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:
7 hours ago, namisgr said:

I quit reading after that.

:baiting:

I'm not a pre-robin tec fan but I plan to go over that club thread and make some sarcastic comments to keep those cheerleaders in place.   :devil:

You can't. You need to own at least one book to be allowed to post or the Mods scrub your post. :grin:

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 6/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Contrary to ComicLink where a shilled offer will set the new acceptable minimum offer, doesn't work that way on ComicConnect. I just made a 15K offer on the CC AF copy.

Capture.PNG

Why does it say highest offer 40k but you have the highest offer at 15k