• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

I read a book about the first comic con in 1964 in NYC. In the appendix of the book were several price lists of dealers present. I believe AF15 was selling for 25$ then. 

As always I could be rembering wrong. However, if I'm remembering correctly and it was priced at 25$ then wasn't that  a bit of money, point being it looks as if AF15 was pricey out of the gate

48 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I read a book about the first comic con in 1964 in NYC. In the appendix of the book were several price lists of dealers present. I believe AF15 was selling for 25$ then. 

As always I could be rembering wrong. However, if I'm remembering correctly and it was priced at 25$ then wasn't that  a bit of money, point being it looks as if AF15 was pricey out of the gate

Yes, that's approximately $195 today.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

particularly of owners lol

GK, Spiderturtle might rent you one of his 15s for a day or two so you can experience that ownership feeling. :foryou: 

4 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

GK, Spiderturtle might rent you one of his 15s for a day or two so you can experience that ownership feeling. :foryou: 

Yeah, cause Peter can't buy one for himself. 

He has to rent one.  lol:eyeroll:

5 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:
5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I still can't understand how an AF #15 CGC 8.5 in Feb goes for $150K  but then a CGC 8.0 goes for $260K 3 months later.

That 8.5 went under the radar.    I sure would have took a stab at if I had paid closer attention to it doh!

No, the 8.5 copy certainly did not go under the radar when it sold for $155K back in February.

The exact same 8.5 copy and graded as such did went under the radar when it sold for only $77K a mere 5 months prior to its $155K resale when most board members here were implying it was a clearly overgraded copy that nobody in their right mind would even think of buying.  lol

The 8.5 Heritage sold during that time at 155K. It is now June 2017, prices have gap up for 8.0+ copies...even 7.0-7.5 has seen an increased price pressure. Of course, copies which presents well with no chips has seen increase pricing pressure.  The ship has sailed and I've wish I could have added another 6.0+ copy.  2c

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

I have never really liked Spiderman although I recognize his importance and absolute dominance of the SA. And even though I don't own a single Spiderman book, this thread can be amusing, interesting, explosive and sometimes even disruptive (but he's been MIA) all at once so I choose to hang out. :grin:

I would much more have been interested if Spiderturtle would have a AC1 or Tec27 though.  :wink:

The SA heroes I have always enjoyed are Thor and Hulk.

Edited by Gotham Kid

22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I have never really liked Spiderman although I recognize his importance and absolute dominance of the SA. And even though I don't own a single Spiderman book, this thread can be amusing, interesting, explosive and sometimes even disruptive (but he's been MIA) all at once so I choose to hang out. :grin:

I would much more have been interested if Spiderturtle would have a AC1 or Tec27 though.  :wink:

The SA heroes I have always liked are Thor and Hulk.

Just picking at you.  :baiting:

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm at the cottage right now and don't have access to my early Overstreets.  There is no way that $25 was the case for AF #15 in 1964.  Maybe double its value at 25 cents.  

But then hen again I could be reasoning just as wrongly as you are remembering ;)

Jim

2 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

I'm at the cottage right now and don't have access to my early Overstreets.  There is no way that $25 was the case for AF #15 in 1964.  Maybe double its value at 25 cents.  

But then hen again I could be reasoning just as wrongly as you are remembering ;)

Jim

I don't see why not Jim. By 1964 Marvel had ushered in all it's key books. 1st 15 issues of Spidey was already published, a huge success and Marvel's fan base was increasing. 25 bucks seems reasonable for his 1st app. 2c

6 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Jim

Daredevil #158 and #168 were $25 books shortly after they came out.

;-p

36 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Jim

Hahah  I'm glad I always preface my posts with, "I might be wrong, but.."

Seems I was very wrong. AF15 was selling for $1.50 by Claude Held. 

Ar least I admit I don't know what I'm talking about. 

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Hahah  I'm glad I always preface my posts with, "I might be wrong, but.."

Seems I was very wrong. AF15 was selling for $1.50 by Claude Held. 

Ar least I admit I don't know what I'm talking about. 

Thank you for the correction, I thought I was starting to go a little crazy.  I'm gonna say $25 could have probably gotten you a good GA key if there was one in the room there in 1964.

Jim

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

The SA heroes I have always enjoyed are Thor and Hulk.

I've only owned the complete super man pages of ac1, all slabbed seperately but brittle pages.  Only owned a tec 27 slabbed but only the non batman pages and coverless.  I was cool owning the ac1 pages.  Wish i could own a complete unrestored tec 27 or action 1.   There was an ac1 cgc 0.5 but that was gobbled up right away i believe last year.

Theres a mc cgc 5.0 on cc or metroplis thats already at $40k.  That's a super strong price since it doesn't fall under the category of super eye appeal.  Don't have the graders notes so can't say if it has potential for upgrade to a higher grade

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=694331

Edited by Spiderturtle

3 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Theres a mc cgc 5.0 on cc or metroplis thats already at $40k.  That's a super strong price since it doesn't fall under the category of super eye appeal.  Don't have the graders notes so can't say if it has potential for upgrade to a higher grade

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=694331

What are the odds that these public offers are no more than just shills to drive up the perceived value of the book? hm

3 minutes ago, jjfversion1 said:

What are the odds that these public offers are no more than just shills to drive up the perceived value of the book? hm

Shilled offers on ComicConnect and ComicLink are somewhat commonplace. There have been quite a few reported in Comics General over the years when flagged.

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Thank you for the correction, I thought I was starting to go a little crazy.  I'm gonna say $25 could have probably gotten you a good GA key if there was one in the room there in 1964.

Jim

that's exactly correct. that's what the better GAs were going for at the 1964 NYC Con