• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
56 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Yeah, and those crazy CC auction prices a few months back for mid-grade copies haven't been repeated either. I'm guessing we've seen Peak-AF15, and values moving forward will follow the same dynamic as Hulk 1 values the last few years (stagnant).

Fiction.   They were not only repeated but exceeded (in the last comiclink auction, no less).

29 minutes ago, Spyderfan said:

Yeah, I think 260k for an 8.0 and 53k for a 5.0 are more proof of higher prices.  Nothing "stagnant" happening with AF15 anytime soon.

What you guys regularly don't mention is that every record sale price has been for books that were either improvable (my professional opinion for the books I've seen up close) or exceptional for the grade (possibly improvable or speculated as such) and not mentioning those things is kind of like quoting top GPA when selling a book but ignoring all other sales figures because they don't support what you want for your book.

Non-exceptional or average AF #15 copies did not go for record prices (to my knowledge).

I still can't understand how an AF #15 CGC 8.5 in Feb goes for $150K  but then a CGC 8.0 goes for $260K 3 months later.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Non-exceptional or average AF #15 copies did not go for record prices (to my knowledge).

I still can't understand how an AF #15 CGC 8.5 in Feb goes for $150K  but then a CGC 8.0 goes for $260K 3 months later.

Dunno Roy, the GPA data I show above certainly shows a 2-3 year trend of "record prices" for this book and they can't all be exceptional copies/destined for upgrade. I realize it doesn't show Clink or private sales, but the trend of record sale after record sale (even just wrt GPA reported data) is quite obvious. 8.0 and above are their own animal and there are so few sales I imagine they fall all over the map.

11 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

What you guys regularly don't mention is that every record sale price has been for books that were either improvable (my professional opinion for the books I've seen up close) or exceptional for the grade (possibly improvable or speculated as such) and not mentioning those things is kind of like quoting top GPA when selling a book but ignoring all other sales figures because they don't support what you want for your book.

That 8.5 went under the radar.    I sure would have took a stab at if I had paid closer attention to it doh!

2 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

That 8.5 went under the radar.    I sure would have took a stab at if I had paid closer attention to it doh!

Went under the radar??????...it was talked about here TWICE.  Why cause the first time it was an overgraded voldemort copy and went for what sub 100k... and then a wow look at this great 8.5 CGC copy that went for 150k.

2 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Went under the radar??????...it was talked about here TWICE.  Why cause the first time it was an overgraded voldemort copy and went for what sub 100k... and then a wow look at this great 8.5 CGC copy that went for 150k.

Under the radar for myself, the front cover date stamp made me ignore the book  :boo:

Edited by Spiderturtle

3 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:
6 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

It was on Heritage, which arguable has the best sales platform in the hobby, is the largest auctions collectibles house in the world and as a rule, AF #15 doesn't go under the radar from my experience. Especially high grade copies.

16 minutes ago, drbanner said:
22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Dunno Roy, the GPA data I show above certainly shows a 2-3 year trend of "record prices" for this book and they can't all be exceptional copies/destined for upgrade. I realize it doesn't show Clink or private sales, but the trend of record sale after record sale (even just wrt GPA reported data) is quite obvious. 8.0 and above are their own animal and there are so few sales I imagine they fall all over the map.

When I say 'record' prices, I mean the copies that sold in the last 2 months for a multiple of what they normally would have sold for just weeks or months prior.

The outlier prices.

In those same auctions there were books that didn't go for outlier prices.

Yes, the book has been rising in price for 55 years but I'm talking about the exceptional copies rising and the non-exceptional copies rarely making a blip on the radar (meaning, just following their usual trend).

@drbanner

I'm not disagreeing with you. I agree that many of those prices haven't been repeated.

I just quoted you along with jaydog to keep the context.

I'm blown away by some who consistently argue what is going on is "normal".  

A modern book going from $100 to $500 hey cool I can live with that, they just announced a tv/movie adaptation.

A staple (arguably the number 1 by almost all accounts) silver age book goes from $25k-55k (effectively overnight) and the response is guys it was undervalued from the start.  Or its always a grower (sure but not at 100% in a few months).

There is a duck a foot.

Has anyone on the boards won a copy that has been publicly offered recently?  Normally we'd see a boardie or two win a copy in the auctions and post it but I haven't seen that since the MASSIVE price spike.

AF15 is probably performing its best in the last few months since published in '62 as far as demand, sales, media hype, fan base, etc.  Deserves the golf clap. :golfclap:

I'm fairly new to this but the AF15 8.0 that just sold for 261k on comic connect says "sale pending." Is this SOP or perhaps does it mean seller is going to bail. 

Like I said I know nothing. 

Just now, NoMan said:

I'm fairly new to this but the AF15 8.0 that just sold for 261k on comic connect says "sale pending." Is this SOP or perhaps does it mean seller is going to bail. 

Like I said I know nothing. 

That's customary after any sale.

29 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

When I say 'record' prices, I mean the copies that sold in the last 2 months for a multiple of what they normally would have sold for just weeks or months prior.

The outlier prices.

I see, and I agree that those outlier prices (the $57K 5.0 in March, the 4.0 @$35K and the 4.5 @$41(?)K) aren't the new normal, and won't become the new normal anytime soon either. (thumbsu

32 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

AF15 is probably performing its best in the last few months since published in '62 as far as demand, sales, media hype, fan base, etc.  Deserves the golf clap. :golfclap:

Same with this thread...the thread is 3 1/2 years old, but a quarter of the posts have come in the last 2 months. Bubble in prices = bubble in # of posts. lol

10 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Same with this thread...the thread is 3 1/2 years old, but a quarter of the posts have come in the last 2 months. Bubble in prices = bubble in # of posts. lol

particularly of owners lol

47 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

AF15 is probably performing its best in the last few months since published in '62 as far as demand, sales, media hype, fan base, etc.

Because the movies/ media hype / demand / fan base, etc only started 3-4 months ago :eyeroll:

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, drbanner said:

The AF 15 data on the left in the graphic below includes grades from 3.5 to 6.0 and has a couple of the Peak-AF 15 prices, it doesn't include "those crazy CC auction prices" (which I guess Metro will eventually report to GPA) and of course doesn't include the Clink prices since they don't report. The data on the right show Peak-Hulk1 occurring about 2 years ago before prices stagnated. I'll revisit this in six months and we'll see if the AF15 graphic continues to look like it does now...or more like the Hulk 1 data. (thumbsu

Hulk1_AF15_35_60_June%209_zpsmqmwklkm.jp

Okay I got you.  I can't say what will happen in the future, although I will say it isn't uncommon for books to peak and plateau, maybe even pull back a little, and then peak again.  I was just quibbling with the statement that the CC auction prices hadn't been repeated, which they have been, and then some. :)

-J.