• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Just page gator he's the expert on mc vs non mc af15s.  Dont need gpa or os when you have gator

Rick's personal sales don't mean Jack when it comes to mc vs non mc just like Rick's personal sales don't mean jack when it comes to PQ either :baiting:

Grenade lobbed in and exits thread.

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Read a great quote today, talking about the bubbles in cryptocurrencies and certain cult stocks.  But, I think it applies to AF #15s as well.  Here it is, paraphrased:

One definition of a bubble I have always used is that people are making money all of proportion to their intelligence or work ethic. That certainly feels true in the case of the AF #15 market.  You make 50% in six months by buying the biggest, dumbest, most obvious comic book out there. Too easy.  I have a hunch it will all be over soon. Just a hunch.

It may be the "dumbest book" but on the other hand, to buy at today's prices you need "brass you know what's".

Yes, I'm talking my book...

But I don't think the market consensus is "can't lose at these prices"... if anything, there are a lot of bears ... isn't that a bullish signal?

5 minutes ago, jabats said:

But I don't think the market consensus is "can't lose at these prices"... if anything, there are a lot of bears ... isn't that a bullish signal?

It is until it isn't. 

59 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

there is enough evidence that CGC should take chipping as a much greater factor grade wise on mid grade books.

If you're saying that CGC should adjust their grading standards based on market prices, I completely disagree.

They should be adjusting their grading standard to reflect that Marvel Chips significantly lower the condition of the book based on pure common sense. Books in similar overall grade outside of chipping seem to get similar grades from CGC...and when they go to sell the ones without chipping vastly outperform. This to me is because CGC is treating chipping like a minor factor when it should be a major defining feature/part of the assessment.

56 minutes ago, zhamlau said:
2 hours ago, VintageComics said:
2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

there is enough evidence that CGC should take chipping as a much greater factor grade wise on mid grade books.

If you're saying that CGC should adjust their grading standards based on market prices, I completely disagree.

They should be adjusting their grading standard to reflect that Marvel Chips significantly lower the condition of the book based on pure common sense. Books in similar overall grade outside of chipping seem to get similar grades from CGC...and when they go to sell the ones without chipping vastly outperform. This to me is because CGC is treating chipping like a minor factor when it should be a major defining feature/part of the assessment.

I still disagree. CGC grades books they don't grade them based on value.

Production related defects are treated differently than non-production related defects by CGC and it has always been so.

And there are reasonable reasons for it (whether people agree or not).

What you're saying now is that because there is a larger price differential they should be changing their grading standards.

My perception is that there is a relatively small group of people who care about Marvel chipping and there is a relatively small group of people who don't and then there are those in between that don't consider it a reason to turn down a book but might consider it.

I'll go so far as to say that GAtor's customers may only want non-chipped books because GAtor only wants non-chipped books but GAtor's perspective is not indicative of the entire market. I've sold many books with various stages of Pre Marvel chipping and have heard relatively few complaints as most people don't care or don't know any better. And most of the people who avoid chipping seem to be on this chat forum.

Look for that to change as word gets out. lol

But also as the speculative market increase people will continue to look for added value in a product and that is where a lot of this discussion stems form IMO.

When AF #15's were $100, $1000 or even $10,000 books it didn't matter as much. Now that price differences between grades are measured in $10,000's it seems to matter to everyone a lot more.

Edited by VintageComics

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Really? It's my perception that the book had been steadily climbing in lower grades for the past two years.

Comics have always been appreciated for their eye appeal but Marvel chipping alone doesn't cause a 5.0 to sell for $25K less than the record $57K sale a few months ago.

The CC copies that went for record prices were either certainly upgradeable or certainly speculated to be upgradeable (I know at least 2 of the 3 were).

That's why they went for record prices IMO.

Been following the lower grades for yrs and yrs and the lower grades from 1.0-4.0 have been stagnant for 2yrs in price on a large scale since spring of this yr. Prices pushed steady since 2012 til 2015 Dec,but remained stable since then up until this yrs push again. 

Production related defects are treated differently than non-production related defects by CGC and it has always been so.

What you're saying now is that because there is a larger price differential they should be changing their grading standards.

My perception is that there is a relatively small group of people who care about Marvel chipping and there is a relatively small group of people who don't and then there are those in between that don't consider it a reason to turn down a book but might consider it.

I'll go so far as to say that GAtor's customers may only want non-chipped books because GAtor only wants non-chipped books but GAtor's perspective is not indicative of the entire market. I've sold many books with various stages of Pre Marvel chipping and have heard relatively few complaints as most people don't care or don't know any better. And most of the people who avoid chipping seem to be on this chat forum.

But also as the speculative market increase people will continue to look for added value in a product and that is where a lot of this discussion stems form IMO.

When AF #15's were $100, $1000 or even $10,000 books it didn't matter as much. Now that price differences between grades are measured in $10,000's it seems to matter to everyone a lot more.

For me, I don't mind mc on an af15 if its a 0.5 or 1.0 because those entry level copies and just having one is a good thing.  But when going upwards in grades, the chips are noticeable  on the brown/gray right side and becomes annoying.  if book s had white covers, the chips wouldn't be as relevant or noticeable

Edited by Spiderturtle

It's amazing how everyone was complaining how expensive the book was in 2011 at less then 3k for a good copy. Today it seems sure il pay 3k now but that boat has set sailed eons ago.. Funny how people just didn't see the grail in that book when they should have bought it..

2 hours ago, jacek99 said:

Hi all,

I'm in negotiations now and curious to know what people think an auction/retail price for this book would be.

Thanks,
Jack

af15.jpg

Certainly if the price is right.  If you hold your hand up to block the right edge of the book it's a very nice copy, but the tape, the MC, the upper right corner....  what kind of price does the seller want?  Current FMV?

8 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Certainly if the price is right.  If you hold your hand up to block the right edge of the book it's a very nice copy, but the tape, the MC, the upper right corner....  what kind of price does the seller want?  Current FMV?

I'm wondering if it is a $20k book. If so, is it worth much more?

57 minutes ago, jacek99 said:

57 minutes ago, jacek99 said:

Have you seen the back cover?  What's going on in the upper right?  Is that a water stain?

In this new AF15 market I suppose $20k might be ok..... with the tape I'd try to negotiate a lower price.

17 minutes ago, silentassassin said:

WOW, Ebay bid with 5 days plus left for an AF 15 2.5/ Cream to Off White / Cover Detached. Bidder with over 2,000 feedback. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-2-5-GD-Universal-No-Reserve-/201961120604?hash=item2f05d2235c:g:6N0AAOSw7ehXSJwz

That's a legit seller. No way that's a shill bid.

Cover Detached is in both the CGC label and the description, Its not like the seller hid details its a basic description. I seen that the seller is also asking $19,385 for the same grade as a BIN http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-2-5-GD-Universal-CGC-0283739001-/201592610009?hash=item2eefdb1cd9:g:6N0AAOSw7ehXSJwz and it also has a detached cover. Both books have the same CGC number it looks like. Never the less that bid is real.

Edited by silentassassin

19 minutes ago, silentassassin said:

Cover Detached is in both the CGC label and the description, Its not like the seller hid details its a basic description. I seen that the seller is also asking $19,385 for the same grade as a BIN http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-2-5-GD-Universal-CGC-0283739001-/201592610009?hash=item2eefdb1cd9:g:6N0AAOSw7ehXSJwz and it also has a detached cover. Both books have the same CGC number it looks like. Never the less that bid is real.

Not sure if you are replying to what I said but I noted that the cover being detached is on the label and is cited on the sellers description.

What I was saying is maybe the buyer didn't bother to read them (which would be crazy on a big value book IMHO).  I have had books up and if someone is looking on their phone or just cares about the grade, they may not even read basic info.