• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, amazingspiderfan said:

Scott @Colorado Comics has it now amidst his unbelievable ASM run, including AF15 9.6, 

Yes, I have checked his Spiderman registry set. Super impressive set.

If memory serves there are 2 Cap 100 9.9s. Both used to be owned by Adams.

Edited by Gotham Kid

mine was a copy I found in a school bus in 1967. It's drifted in and out of conversation here the last year. What I have learned from Bob is the number of sales that occur without GA analysis. He seems to be doing just fine with his prices and I'm not in a hurry.  The MIddle East doesn't spend time on GA. The investment hasn't exactly pressed for the sale. Bob got a lot of nice books from me, none as valuable as the AF15 but some I just can't explain. Why did I buy two ASM 129's on the news stand when it was .20.. I never even read them.  I used to buy about five bucks a month worth of Comics ( not books) when walking home 1.5 miles every 3rd tuesday in Santa Fe in 1967 - 74.  It was just magical to curl up with those comics and just read them . Jeez, the Silver Surfer was a hoot. The AF 15 at the time was worth about 80 dollars and I simply never sold it, decade after decade. . Actually, selling it would have been hard. Rogofsky was about the only dealer out there. The internet has changed everything. It connected every enthusiast and Charlatan in the world.  Bob will sell his comics just fine. He has so far, just not as an ebay item. 

If there's one thing I don't understand, It's the level and depth of wealth in the world in the hand of a very few.  Haven't yet doubt I will. 

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

mine was a copy I found in a school bus in 1967. It's drifted in and out of conversation here the last year. What I have learned from Bob is the number of sales that occur without GA analysis. He seems to be doing just fine with his prices and I'm not in a hurry.  The MIddle East doesn't spend time on GA. The investment hasn't exactly pressed for the sale. Bob got a lot of nice books from me, none as valuable as the AF15 but some I just can't explain. Why did I buy two ASM 129's on the news stand when it was .20.. I never even read them.  I used to buy about five bucks a month worth of Comics ( not books) when walking home 1.5 miles every 3rd tuesday in Santa Fe in 1967 - 74.  It was just magical to curl up with those comics and just read them . Jeez, the Silver Surfer was a hoot. The AF 15 at the time was worth about 80 dollars and I simply never sold it, decade after decade. . Actually, selling it would have been hard. Rogofsky was about the only dealer out there. The internet has changed everything. It connected every enthusiast and Charlatan in the world.  Bob will sell his comics just fine. He has so far, just not as an ebay item. 

If there's one thing I don't understand, It's the level and depth of wealth in the world in the hand of a very few.  Haven't yet doubt I will. 

Thats a nice book you have for sale, any issues with the interior? Not often  I can ask the OO. Did storms buy it with the collection or is a consignment item? 

1 hour ago, amazingspiderfan said:

Thats a nice book you have for sale, any issues with the interior? Not often  I can ask the OO. Did storms buy it with the collection or is a consignment item? 

There are none.  I consigned by choice.  I have passed on many offers to sell it. No surprises anywhere I have made the interior shots available to Bob and he said he really doesn't need them. When my son tried to post those shots on reddit, he got shut down for violating copyright issues. Bob knows I have those shots and will supply them to any serious buyer.  I liked it way better when I could read it.  But fifty years was enough. It's still terrible artwork with a really unlikely storyline  ( but not as bad as the Thor creation line) .  I understand slabs but I'm a really old guy trying to give my son a down payment on a house and I really despise what has happened to it. I liked the pure joy. it.  Actually, I love Pogo. Walt Kelly was the real deal. 

You had to be me on that bus in a wrecking yard in 1967. There was an avengers #7, an avengers #4 which I actually gave away two weeks back, a lot of X men early stuff. , all in that amazing box of fifty books.  I was a kid.  Even then I knew it was worth... 80 dollars!!. Sometimes we just have to get a grip and laugh at the entire show.  As a kid I found a 1909 S-VDB in a roll of coins in Ohio. It had mint luster.  I had a huge collection in the fifties but my mom made short work of it in one brutal afternoon.  Mom's: why any of this stuff has value at all. "You print it, we'll chuck it."

Never ever go to the beach if your mom is on a tear. Jeez I learned that too late... 

Edited by Glassman10

2 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

That is one UGLY back cover with that chipping looking at it closer, methinks that is a reason the res is different from the front to the back. 

Without that flaw expect it to be in a higher label. At least that  flaw is on the back.

2c

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, Gotham Kid said:

The only other board member/collector I can even think of that held a 9.4 was Storms ( but he doesn't count as he is a dealer ). Ok Metro too.

Sorry for not keeping pace with the posts.

After the first 9.4 AF #15 9.4 sold in auction for a mere $55K I was consigned the Diamond Run AF #15 9.4.  It was for sale at San Diego Comic con.  Not sure of the year right this second.  It was priced at $100K.  Got a lot of comments on the price,  Jay Perino was offered the book and turned it down.  I also had a few other Diamond Run keys.  Was sold for $86000 after the show.  After that sale another 9.4 was sold for $80K by Metropolis.  Years later and look at the prices now.  I am off for the final day of the London show.  Carry on :).  And yes I did respond to Billy Parkers emails

26 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

After the first 9.4 AF #15 9.4 sold in auction for a mere $55K I was consigned the Diamond Run AF #15 9.4.  It was for sale at San Diego Comic con.  Not sure of the year right this second.  It was priced at $100K.  Got a lot of comments on the price,  Jay Perino was offered the book and turned it down.  I also had a few other Diamond Run keys.  Was sold for $86000 after the show.  After that sale another 9.4 was sold for $80K by Metropolis.  Years later and look at the prices now. 

Thanks for the backdrop Robert.

Edited by Gotham Kid

15 hours ago, SECollector said:

Is really that extra 0.1 point worth all that money and attention? Seriously? I guess that's something you consider when you have everything else (and a ton of extra money left B|).

Well, look at the census for the extra .1.  Some people just gotta have the best regardless of the price. 

13 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Well, look at the census for the extra .1.  Some people just gotta have the best regardless of the price. 

I totally get that. But what one is buying with all these extra thousands is really the 0.1 grade difference on the label and the whatever feeling of having "the best". Even though unslabbed the 9.8 and the 9.9 one would probably be the same books with a naked eye. But -as always- whatever makes one happy.

38 minutes ago, SECollector said:
54 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I totally get that. But what one is buying with all these extra thousands is really the 0.1 grade difference on the label and the whatever feeling of having "the best". Even though unslabbed the 9.8 and the 9.9 one would probably be the same books with a naked eye. But -as always- whatever makes one happy.

Bragging rights are everything. Just ask the 181 9.9 guy. A friend of mine missed that boat by a couple hours ( was unaware of the listing and only saw my email too late ). At the time he had a handful of 9.8s, which in itself was a big deal. The census for 9.8s was a LOT lower than it is today.

Edited by Gotham Kid

8 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Sorry for not keeping pace with the posts.

After the first 9.4 AF #15 9.4 sold in auction for a mere $55K I was consigned the Diamond Run AF #15 9.4.  It was for sale at San Diego Comic con.  Not sure of the year right this second.  It was priced at $100K.  Got a lot of comments on the price,  Jay Perino was offered the book and turned it down.  I also had a few other Diamond Run keys.  Was sold for $86000 after the show.  After that sale another 9.4 was sold for $80K by Metropolis.  Years later and look at the prices now.  I am off for the final day of the London show.  Carry on :).  And yes I did respond to Billy Parkers emails

indeed he did, and the product of said communication is viewable in the gold/timely thread.  thanks, bob!

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Bragging rights are everything. Just ask the 181 9.9 guy. A friend of mine missed that boat by a couple hours ( was unaware of the listing and only saw my email too late ). At the time he had a handful of 9.8s, which in itself was a big deal. The census for 9.8s was a LOT lower than it is today.

At one point I made the observation that the Rolex watch for $8,500 was utterly dead in the water following the crash in 2008 but the $250.000 dollar version was backordered two years  . That quickly devolved into what watch everyone liked which wasn't really my point.  Sometimes, people show off that "they can and you can't"  Actually I don't even wear a watch but I used to buy tons of them at the lost and found auctions at UC San Diego and resold them all. $1.50 for a watch?  There are people who can never have enough and I don't quite understand that driving force but it sure is there. For many, it's the simple competition as well. I don't have that DNA.  I collect antique scales and didn't even realize I was doing it until someone pointed out that there were fourteen of them in the house almost all over one hundred years old.  I have a feed store scale that is accurate to three grams.  I verify this junk because I have one scale that gets calibrated professionally every year.  

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

That 9.9 has one major color breaking stress line on the spine. I almost bought it from Ideal until i held it in my hands, CGC should be ashamed of themselves.

On 8/26/2017 at 0:21 AM, amazingspiderfan said:

Real Estate is a risky investment comparatively , thanks for the kind words, Didn't you snag a nice AF15 from Bob recently? CONGRATS!

I wished!  doh!

Clearly you must have confused me with somebody else since my personal collecting went straight from current CA and current/back issue BA books at the time, followed by an immediate jump back to the pre-GA time period before settling in on the GA books and missed the SA time period completely.   :gossip:

So, unfortunately no AF 15 or anything even close to that in my personal collection, nor will there ever be at these stratospheric prices.  Heck, even if they were at 10% of these prices, I would probably not be interested in spending that kind of money on this book from a collecting point of view, and would only be interested in it from a reselling point of view.  Being the El Cheapo that I am, I was never into paying premium dollars for SA books which I thought was available everywhere, as long as you was willing to open up your wallet for them.

Much more interested in the early HTF GA books and especially the ones with the classic covers or the extremely rare ones that have less than a handful in the CGC census report.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine