• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Sometimes the bad guys help the good guys. :smile:

Yes, wasn't it really Danny (Bad Boy) Dupchak  (tsk) himself that first highlighted some of these books to us with the before and after pictures and as a result, brought this whole pressing and micro trimming fiasco to light on the boards here, before he got royally tossed and banned by the CGC bigwigs.  lol

No doubt that Danny Boy must have been jealous and realize that his blatant macro trimming skills were no match, but not even in the same ball park as Ewert's much finer and near invisible micro trimming skills.  :slapfight: 

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/2/2017 at 9:29 AM, lou_fine said:

+1

Same question which I have since the link clearly indicates that the book is still opened to offers with none received to this point in time.  ???

If there was a completed resale (i.e. offer and acceptance), the link would look like the following:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

This link clearly shows that the Billy Wright  All-Star 3 which was sold for close to $50K back in February of 2012 was resold a week later for $200K through Heritage's Make An Offer to owner option. 

Doesn't have to be the same venue when re-sold. Check out the Action 1 Blue label 3.0 which resold close to half mil in early 2016 and originally sold in Heritage Auctions in late 2014. Check GPA. :wink:

7 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Doesn't have to be the same venue when re-sold.

So once again, where did the AF sell for 705K ? Certainly not a known public venue.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Timely said:

Wow, this copy was just sold about four months ago and a double asking price. I remember you mentioned this copy and later Bob Storms sold it on ebay and went to Comiclink, ComicConnect and then... This copy traveled everywhere.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

26 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:
5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

So once again, where did the AF sell for 705K ? Certainly not a known public venue.

It's on GPA, so it's a known auction dealer/consignment sites. Ask GPA or maybe a dealer we broker it can chime it.

eBay - not

ComicLink - not

Heritage - not

Metro - not

Pedigree - not

Hakes - not

HighGradeComics - not

Greg Reece - not

Google - nothing

???

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

eBay - not

ComicLink - not

Heritage - not

Metro - not

Pedigree - not

Hakes - not

Google - nothing

???

Did you check with GPA? You already check with those sites you mentioned? There are a many more dealers/consignment sites that report to George. Heronext chimed in regarding the SC4 7.5 sold for 107K last week. It's reported to GPA, by these dealers/consignment sites.

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Did you check with GPA? You already check with those sites you mentioned? There are a many more dealers/consignment sites that report to George. Heronext chimed in regarding the SC4 7.5 sold for 107K last week. It's reported to GPA, by these dealers/consignment sites.

Just curious how seller bothered to report sale to GPA yet an all-time record breaking high sale goes unpublicized. A headline such as that would be welcome by any dealer/consignment site.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Just curious how seller bothered to report sale to GPA yet an all-time record breaking high sale goes unpublicized. A headline such as that would be welcome by any dealer/consignment site.

I guess I just dont get GPA...the 57k (among others it seems) sale of a 5.0 changed the conversation on AF15 isn't on GPA after nearly 6 months....and it seems other CC sales after that sale are (still need to confirm that), and the reason is do to "Manual Entry"...how exactly then did later sales make it and not this clearly important one? This make sense to anyone? Im not asking as some gimmick, really trying to figure out how this works.

35 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I guess I just dont get GPA...the 57k (among others it seems) sale of a 5.0 changed the conversation on AF15 isn't on GPA after nearly 6 months....and it seems other CC sales after that sale are (still need to confirm that), and the reason is do to "Manual Entry"...how exactly then did later sales make it and not this clearly important one? This make sense to anyone? Im not asking as some gimmick, really trying to figure out how this works.

Yes, I also don't understand this so-called Manual Entry explanation that was apparently given.  ???

I still remember the record breaking sales in the exact same auction for both the CGC 3.0 copies of 'Tec 29 and 'Tec 38 for $66K and $54K respectively and they both got into GPA almost immediately.  At first, I thought it might have been due to the buyer making use of the 6-month payment option, but apparently the AF 15 was paid for in full according to a boardie here. 

So, who really knows with GPA sometimes, because if I was Metro, I would certainly want that $57K auction result for the AF 15 to be captured.  (shrug)

On 9/3/2017 at 2:21 AM, delekkerste said:

It's obviously been a long time, but my impression then was that there's no way it should have been a 9.9 - I think it just got graded early on and won the lottery from early inconsistency.  I mean I was, of course, polite and complimented the book to the Ideal guy, but, all I could think of was why the book shouldn't be a 9.9. lol

In any case, it was/is a 9.9 in label only. But, just as possession is 9/10ths of the law, so the label is 9/10ths of the grade. :p

On 9/3/2017 at 0:20 PM, delekkerste said:

Regardless, there's no way this copy would ever be removed from the slab, so any talk of regrading or resubmission is just idle chatter anyway!! 

+1

In full agreement with you that this copy of Hulk 181 will never ever be taken out from its slab because the chance of it ever acheiving this same CGC 9.9 grade is probably slim to none without some work being done to the book.  (thumbsu

Do you remember what this copy sold for, as I heard it was something like $140K to $150K which sounds just like silly money for such a common BA book?  If this is true, what's the chance the purchaser could end up with a 6-figure loss on this book even if it stays in its current CGC 9.9 slab, given it's notoriety and bad word of mouth relative to its assigned grade?  :tonofbricks:

Especially in today's marketplace where collectors appear to be a bit more attuned to buying the book as opposed to simply buying the label which seem to be so much more prevalent a decade ago.  As evident by this Hulk 181 itself, whereby its value has gone up substantially in all grades across the entire condition spectrum except for the copies in 9.8 and possibly this copy in 9.9 if it ever came back to market again.   hm

I'm pretty sure that the ASM 1 that sold for $37K referenced in that Ewert story and sold to a NJ collector is the 9.8 owned by Brulato.

Otherwise, carry on.

xoxo

greggy