• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I wished!  doh!

Clearly you must have confused me with somebody else since my personal collecting went straight from current CA and current/back issue BA books at the time, followed by an immediate jump back to the pre-GA time period before settling in on the GA books and missed the SA time period completely.   :gossip:

So, unfortunately no AF 15 or anything even close to that in my personal collection, nor will there ever be at these stratospheric prices.  Heck, even if they were at 10% of these prices, I would probably not be interested in spending that kind of money on this book from a collecting point of view, and would only be interested in it from a reselling point of view.  Being the El Cheapo that I am, I was never into paying premium dollars for SA books which I thought was available everywhere, as long as you was willing to open up your wallet for them.

Much more interested in the early HTF GA books and especially the ones with the classic covers or the extremely rare ones that have less than a handful in the CGC census report.  :cloud9:

Just now, Glassman10 said:

"from a collecting point of view,"

That nails it and it speaks to the split between "love of comics' and "love of money from comics."

It could not be said better or more succinctly. There's a bunch that simply love comics and if  they could have the defining books, they would be in seventh heaven and the ones trying to shave 2% in this buying cycle .  My heart will stay will the true collector, waiting to find what I found in a bus on Apodaca Hill in Santa Fe fifty years back. I  love those of you who believe in those finds They are , i'm convinced, still out there. . 

I found the book on the bus but I also found a real love for this essentially stupid medium that has now to do with scarcity and condition rather than the reality of the world as we see it today. My fields are mowed, my hay is in. My livestock is content tonight. If Bob sells my book ( COMIC)  I'll be even more pleased. Life for me is rather good.   I need to change the oil on the John Deere. Get after it Bob!

16 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

That 9.9 has one major color breaking stress line on the spine. I almost bought it from Ideal until i held it in my hands, CGC should be ashamed of themselves.

The color break maybe (probably) happened post slabbing.    I've seen some gift grades before but I can't imagine them giving a 9.9 to anything with a break, ding, crease, etc...

14 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

The color break maybe (probably) happened post slabbing.    I've seen some gift grades before but I can't imagine them giving a 9.9 to anything with a break, ding, crease, etc...

Its in the middle of the spine and runs into the cover, not sure how it would have happened post slabbing. Your logic is sound though, not sure. The only real slab damage I have seen is inner well indentation, that happens very frequently. I am sure someone has a scan of the 181 , we can pull the grader notes There should be none for that copy(Like most 9.8-10) unless they call out a stress line :p then we are really onto something, Either way is a noticeable defect and the Professor's 9.8 is a superior copy hands down at a fraction of the price,

59 minutes ago, amazingspiderfan said:

I am sure someone has a scan of the 181 , we can pull the grader notes

Resolution isn't good enough to get the CGC number

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=/search.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DHULK%2B181%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=873511

On 8/25/2017 at 11:37 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/25/2017 at 11:31 PM, Spiderturtle said:

Haven't had this much excitement here in a long time,  surprised you havent shown up earlier

The only other board member/collector I can even think of that held a 9.4 was Storms ( but he doesn't count as he is a dealer ). Ok Metro too.

I had one walk up to my booth at a show a few years ago. It was not for sale at the time. Customer just showed it to me.

38 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I had one walk up to my booth at a show a few years ago. It was not for sale at the time. Customer just showed it to me.

If you've seen one 9.4 then you've seen them all. 2c

I heard this was a good book lol. 

My goal when I started collecting was this, showcase 4, Tec 33 and tmnt 1. I've owned them all now but I let the sc4 go as I wanted to upgrade but nothing came up (offer was also very nice) 

To be honest, I wouldn't mind down grading and freeing up cash to help get a showcase 4 again ?  Either way. Pumped to add this!! 

IMG_4064.PNG

1 hour ago, BoomCity said:

I heard this was a good book lol. 

My goal when I started collecting was this, showcase 4, Tec 33 and tmnt 1. I've owned them all now but I let the sc4 go as I wanted to upgrade but nothing came up (offer was also very nice) 

To be honest, I wouldn't mind down grading and freeing up cash to help get a showcase 4 again ?  Either way. Pumped to add this!! 

IMG_4064.PNG

That's a very, very nice looking 3.0.And.....you have great taste when it comes to collecting focuses.   ;)

-J.

Just checked GPA and AF15 9.4 which sold in Heritage in 2016 has now resold in May 2017 for 705K.  A very strong Vintage Comic Market indeed especially for one of the top Blue Chips.  These Blue Chip books continue to get more pricey. 

Edited by showcase22gr1959

5 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Just checked GPA and AF15 9.4 which sold in Heritage in 2016 has now resold in May 2017 for 705K.  A very strong Vintage Comic Market indeed especially for one of the top Blue Chips.  These Blue Chip books continue to get more pricey. 

First I've heard of a 9.4 selling for > 700k. The sky is the limit on AF15. I'm seeing single pages selling for what low grade copies sold for years ago. Aunt May rocks! :headbang:

1 minute ago, peewee22 said:

First I've heard of a 9.4 selling for > 700k. The sky is the limit on AF15. I'm seeing single pages selling for what low grade copies sold for years ago. Aunt May rocks! :headbang:

These prices are for real and so much volume on AF15  the last half the year. Yes, those pages could have bought you a $75 complete copy which you bought years ago. In 1986 Creation Con I attended as a teenage boy, I saw an AF15 missing a back cover for $50.00, the first I ever saw and it sold in front of my little eyes. I said to myself, I need to obtain that book one day. Uncle Ben is cool :wink:

21 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

These prices are for real and so much volume on AF15  the last half the year. Yes, those pages could have bought you a $75 complete copy which you bought years ago. In 1986 Creation Con I attended as a teenage boy, I saw an AF15 missing a back cover for $50.00, the first I ever saw and it sold in front of my little eyes. I said to myself, I need to obtain that book one day. Uncle Ben is cool :wink:

Amazing coincidence but I got my first copy in '86 for $75. Poor condition. The first in a long series of upgrades to what I have now. Comic collecting goals takes time and patience.  I always wondered who has that Poor copy now. A complete book and I thought it was so cool to have my own AF15! :cool: