• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Af15 club.  Please have another thread for detailed analysis 

Agree with this.  If any of us could accurately predict how the future looks on any market (comics, stocks, whatever) I think we'd be out on safari or something and not in our living rooms :wink:

3 minutes ago, s14roller said:

Agree with this.  If any of us could accurately predict how the future looks on any market (comics, stocks, whatever) I think we'd be out on safari or something and not in our living rooms :wink:

Exactly!!

14 hours ago, SC22 said:

Yeah sure not a single Asian (no Canadians either I must be unique) is into superheroes give me a break. Even if a small percentage of people in China get into collecting comics that is still a huge amount of people and again that is one single nation. You just like seen the world crumble. You seem to get a high out of it or maybe you make money off of it.

Like Alfred said about the Joker....''some people just like to see the world burn''. You are so limited in your analysis it's unbelievable. As if you know what every single human is doing just based on a few stats that you provide and throw at us. And based on what others have said here you have been like this for years must be a real joy to be around in real life.

Your so called ''thesis'' would not stand the test even in the worst of universities (the links you try to make have not been proven at all they are just your simple theory....nothing more nothing less). You put so many people in the same basket with just a few variables it is ridiculous. And the worst is it is dogma to you and you want us to buy into it.

You may be a educated man but these things you take for certainties without doing a real profound examination (I don't think it would be even possible since people have changes of heart every single day in what they do as far as hobbies go) of the whole comic book world and what that world realize on to survive simply has no base value whatsoever.

It's like me telling say Gator how the market is doing and not doing at conventions or other such venues where he sells books at. It would be only a so called ''calculated'' guess at best versus his real life experience on the floor (face to face) with collectors for so many years. It would make no sens at all if I did that and certainly would not be dogma to be followed blindly. Reality wins over such theories any day of the week.

This ...

On 10/24/2017 at 7:28 PM, blazingbob said:

In case anybody missed Gene's "opinion" - http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1017?articleID=52605

Whenever I'm at the Amsterdam office ( and that is pretty much once every 2 months ) , I never am without at least one go at the junk food. Truly lekker (thumbsu

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like I am going to have to go with Gene on this one here, especially if you are hoping for the people from China to buy your AF 15's.

I know a lot of people from China and I haven't heard a single one of them mention comic books, or for that matter, any of the biggies such as Spider-Man, Superman, or even Batman.  And I know that Tim recently picked up the Church copy of Mystery Men 3 for $57K, but that doesn't really count since he's from Hong Kong and also a long-time collector and board member here.

The only topic the Chinese population loves to talk about is real estate and property. 

^^

No matter the country. Property. It's Monopoly taken to the next level.

Edited by Gotham Kid

To me , it depends entirely on presentation . no chipping and a clean 6.0. ( I can't even look anymore) These days I expect 10K per point up to a 5.0 and once at 6.0. figure about a 15K per point . It's all based on a factor times the instep of Stan Lee. 

That's this week of course.  I'm getting my drinks ready for the world series...

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Whenever I'm at the Amsterdam office ( and that is pretty much once every 2 months ) , I never am without at least one go at the junk food. Truly lekker (thumbsu

Hey, The Chinese got wild over KFC if you want to really impress them  . Trust me, I know.  Diplomacy can be really hard. 

5 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

19 hours ago, SC22 said:

Yeah sure not a single Asian (no Canadians either I must be unique) is into superheroes give me a break. Even if a small percentage of people in China get into collecting comics that is still a huge amount of people and again that is one single nation. You just like seen the world crumble. You seem to get a high out of it or maybe you make money off of it.

Like Alfred said about the Joker....''some people just like to see the world burn''. You are so limited in your analysis it's unbelievable. As if you know what every single human is doing just based on a few stats that you provide and throw at us. And based on what others have said here you have been like this for years must be a real joy to be around in real life.

Your so called ''thesis'' would not stand the test even in the worst of universities (the links you try to make have not been proven at all they are just your simple theory....nothing more nothing less). You put so many people in the same basket with just a few variables it is ridiculous. And the worst is it is dogma to you and you want us to buy into it.

You may be a educated man but these things you take for certainties without doing a real profound examination (I don't think it would be even possible since people have changes of heart every single day in what they do as far as hobbies go) of the whole comic book world and what that world realize on to survive simply has no base value whatsoever.

It's like me telling say Gator how the market is doing and not doing at conventions or other such venues where he sells books at. It would be only a so called ''calculated'' guess at best versus his real life experience on the floor (face to face) with collectors for so many years. It would make no sens at all if I did that and certainly would not be dogma to be followed blindly. Reality wins over such theories any day of the week.

This ...

This....

misses Gene's point.  Rather than suggesting the extreme that 'not a single Asian' is into superheroes, Gene made the point worth considering that Chinese buyers won't be here with sufficient dollars to prop up the high end comic book market if the interest from a future generation of Westerners wanes.

As to whether this type of discussion of the future stability of current AF15 pricing is appropriate for this thread - the issue arose from some contributors who believed that the price of the book would only continue to go up and up and up.  Perhaps when the thread is focused on collecting the comic, and not acquiring it as an investment, the other side of the investment discussion will abate as well.

Edited by namisgr

47 minutes ago, namisgr said:

This....

misses Gene's point.  Rather than suggesting the extreme that 'not a single Asian' is into superheroes, Gene made the point worth considering that Chinese buyers won't be here with sufficient dollars to prop up the high end comic book market if the interest from a future generation of Westerners wanes.

As to whether this type of discussion of the future stability of current AF15 pricing is appropriate for this thread - the issue arose from some contributors who believed that the price of the book would only continue to go up and up and up.  Perhaps when the thread is focused on collecting the comic, and not acquiring it as an investment, the other side of the investment discussion will abate as well.

Yeah no other people except Westerners enjoy comic books (now and in the future)....lollll!!

Edited by SC22

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Spiderman has been around for over 5 decades. I'd say easily 90% of all AF15 and ASM1 copies are owned by North Americans.

For now. Things can always change and the global market can easily change that over time.

15 minutes ago, SC22 said:
17 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Spiderman has been around for over 5 decades. I'd say easily 90% of all AF15 and ASM1 copies are owned by North Americans.

For now. Things can always change and the global market can easily change that over time.

Quite honestly I can see them heavily into cosplay, toys, merchandise and the technological aspect of comicdom ( games, etc). Maybe some modern comic stuff and TPBs (printed in Chinese). And that's it. Certainly not back issue interest.

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Quite honestly I can see them heavily into cosplay, toys, merchandise and the technological aspect of comicdom ( games, etc). Maybe some modern comic stuff and TPBs (printed in Chinese). And that's it. Certainly not back issue interest.

Yeah 2 billion Chinese and not even any...seriously!! Even if it is 20 000 that get into vintage (and that is very low for the amount of population they have) that can easily change things.

Edited by SC22

4 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Yeah 2 billion Chinese and not even any...seriously!! Even if it is 20 000 that get into vintage (and that is very low for the amount of population they have) that can easily change things.

Don't you think they would have done that by now, given the headline grabbing news of record breaking sales ? Go and ask Metro, ComicLink and Heritage and all the major dealers how many shipments have they made to China. I'd be very curious.

Edited by Gotham Kid