• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Just now, greggy said:

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

No, but apparently some think they will in the not too distant future.  :screwy:

Man, I'm going to do so well on the ten I've just arranged to buy. 

So long as you sell them to Chinese, so the market stays propped up.

Just now, greggy said:

I'm using the profits to buy out your lumber jacking business so you can spend your life sailing. 

That is real cool.  I hope you make a lot because my boat doesn't have a sail.  It uses lots of gas.

Just now, comicdonna said:

That is real cool.  I hope you make a lot because my boat doesn't have a sail.  It uses lots of gas.

I can buy you any motor you want for your new boat.  

However, I get naming rights. 

Just now, greggy said:

I can buy you any motor you want for your new boat.  

However, I get naming rights. 

It's got 2  351 Ford's with Holley 4 barrel carbs. It would be nice to upgrade to Volvo Diesel's

10 hours ago, blazingbob said:

The below is a JOKE but if the collectibles market is in a bubble and I'm going to be considered 'Strutting around" I'd like to point out that I didn't come from a industry that did this.   

I'm thinking of using another model to help propel this bubble along.  

I'm going to package Comic keys into Collateral debt obligations.

I'll create CDO's by Category.  Value will be determined by GPA at time of creation.  There will be a start date and a end date.  1 Year, 5 year,  10 year, 30 year

Categories will be considered Tranches (Tranches are pieces, portions or slices of debt or structured financing.  Each portion or tranche is one of several related securities offered at the same time but with different risks, rewards and maturities)  

Here are some examples of what I'll sell to the market.

Gold A - Action #1, Batman #1, Cap #1, Det #27

Gold B - All Select #1, Marvel comics #1,

Gold C - Suspense #3, All Flash #1,  

Marvel A -  AF #15,  AS #1, , Incredible Hulk #1, JIM #83, TOS #39, , X-Men #1

Marvel B - DD #1, FF #1,  TTA #27, Incredible Hulk #181, Giant Size X-men #1

Marvel C - Amazing Adventures #11, Avengers #57, Defenders #1, Hero for Hire #1, Tomb of Dracula #10

DC A - Showcase #4, Showcase #22, B&B #28, Justice League #1

DC B - Flash #105,  Green lantern #1, Mystery in Space #53, etc

DC C - Green Lantern #76, Green Lantern #87, House of Mystery #174, Strange Adventures #205 etc

I'm then going to sell options on them,  calls and puts.  

I'm then going to sell Credit default swaps on the comic CDO's.  People can take both sides of the bet that prices will go up or prices will go down.

I will collect monthly premiums on the Credit default swaps that are betting against price appreciation.

I will collect interest on the shorts of the CDO's. 

As I collect that money I will hold monthly hooker and blow parties.

I'll let you leverage these up as high as you want to go.

Screw the Graded comic business model.  Lets go with the Wall Street Deriatives model. 

FF #1MARVEL B???:gossip::preach::whatev:>:(

5 hours ago, greggy said:
5 hours ago, namisgr said:

No, but apparently some think they will in the not too distant future.  :screwy:

lol

5 hours ago, greggy said:

So long as you sell them to Chinese, so the market stays propped up.

That's easy. eBay listing with China shipping only. I can already see the number of views hitting the 6 digits.

Doesn't eBay reward you for listings with huge view counts ?

Maybe they'll wave their fees. Everything in the future is possible.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:55 AM, delekkerste said:

Why would they gravitate to comics when there are literally millions of other things out there they could be interested in, including things they grew up with, things in their own language,  things that are more universally coveted (e.g., property, luxury goods, etc.)?  As if they don't have their own culture and haven't aspired to own other things their whole lives.  The Ameri-centric, comic-centric viewpoint expressed by some here is not only shockingly unrealistic, it's also quite parochial and provincial. 

On 10/25/2017 at 3:49 PM, greggy said:

Or do what the rich kids from wealthy Chinese families do here in Vancouver.  Drive terribly in their Ferraris, Bentleys, and other various luxury vehicles.

Although I see luxury fashion (or maybe not) and luxury cars in this little video clip here, I don't see any AF 15's so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT25z0UESD0

What a bunch of entitled losers here.  Reminds me of my university days, except all of the girls were from Hong Kong then instead of China.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although I see luxury fashion (or maybe not) and luxury cars in this little video clip here, I don't see any AF 15's so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT25z0UESD0

What a bunch of entitled losers here.  Reminds me of my university days, except all of the girls were from Hong Kong then instead of China.  :p

The people featured in that video are all (presumably) Chinese, but they are also all women.

Serious question:  is there such a thing as a serious, "high roller" female comics collector?  Can anyone point to any examples where a woman has made one of the big purchases that seem to get everyone's attention?  Of course it's possible, I'm just not aware of any.

Of course for at least a generation (or two?) there have been tons of female comics fans, readers, moviegoers, convention-goers, and most importantly creators.  I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about shelling out big bucks ($1,000, $10,000, $100,000) for comics as a collector or investor.

My point is simply that comics collecting and investing doesn't seem to hold much appeal to women of any cultural background, even the ones here in the U.S. who love Rocket Raccoon and Baby Groot.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Arthur Cloos wife is a big wonder woman collector.  Behind most every big "Male" purchase is a wife who monitors that buying activity.  If the big spender isn't sharing with his wife it becomes the Big Divorced collection.

I've bought and sold a lot of these over the years.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Arthur Cloos wife is a big wonder woman collector.  Behind most every big "Male" purchase is a wife who monitors that buying activity.  If the big spender isn't sharing with his wife it becomes the Big Divorced collection.

Good to know Bob.  As you know my wife is extremely supportive of my collection, but I would not say she takes any active interest at all, even though there was once a time (before the kids were born) when she was reading a ton of Batman comics.

That reminds me, I still need to find time to dump all of that late-90s DC stuff that's taking up space in my closet.  Need to make more room for Marvel Silver Age keys.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

One of the truest  posts ever...

A one time collector I know referred to his comic book collection as "his" until New York State law divided it up between he and his wife. The poor guy didn't realize that all the great books he bought during his marriage also belonged to his wife thanks to the legal concept of "marital property." She learned to quickly love comics as soon as she got her half of the money from the sale of "his" collection. And yes, she also owned half of the AF 15...

Edited by bronze johnny

Mine is simply amazed. She watched me drag these boxes across the US over 50 years with me insisting they belonged in the main trailer. After Bob? She loves it. No separation here, just a change in attitude about what is profoundly dumb and what's inexplicable.

That's what I say about her horses. 

Edited by Glassman10