• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warlock First Appearance - Marvel Premiere 1

250 posts in this topic

The first appearance of the Green Goblin is ASM #14, but the first appearance of Norman Osborne is ASM #37.

Its all semantics.

The first appearance of the character who becomes Warlock is FF 66/67. HIM becomes Warlock in MP #1. He gets the name. The costume. The Soul Gem.

You guys are arguing about nothing.

FF is the first appearance, but MP #1 is a major key issue, in which the story of Warlock actually begins.

Isn't this argument kinda like saying Congressman Obama and President Obama are two different characters?

Sure, if Obama disappeared for 5 years, then emerged from a cocoon with new and enhanced powers, sported a red costume with a a lightning bolt on it, chose a duplicate of Earth to live on, and was given a Soul Gem by God that directly led to a few decades worth of cosmic Marvel storylines.

Then yes, it would be similar.

How about Lobo? The skinny crazy dude in Omega Men 3 and Legion sure as heck changed as the 90s moved on. But I guess the crazy theme was consistent.

I own all of Warlock's first appearances in terms of collecting. FF 67 is his first appearance as a character, but let's face it Marvel Premiere 1 is when anybody actually cared about Warlock. Before that he was about as important as getting that root canal to save your tooth. Marvel Premiere 1 is the book that makes you love this guy not FF 67 or Thor 165.

Interesting points made which would cause even some people to feel that the Starlin Adam Warlock in Strangle Tales 178 is someone quite different from the Thomas Warlock, putting the name aside, the difference lies in the characterization and the artwork. Just as the BWS Conan and the JB Conan are vastly different by virtue of who drew them, even if under the same writer..

Interesting points made which would cause even some people to feel that the Starlin Adam Warlock in Strangle Tales 178 is someone quite different from the Thomas Warlock, putting the name aside, the difference lies in the characterization and the artwork. Just as the BWS Conan and the JB Conan are vastly different by virtue of who drew them, even if under the same writer..

You are totally right. Just look how he appears even further down the road:

1447499-new_mutants_17_warlock.jpg

:jokealert:

The first appearance of the Green Goblin is ASM #14, but the first appearance of Norman Osborne is ASM #37.

Its all semantics.

The first appearance of the character who becomes Warlock is FF 66/67. HIM becomes Warlock in MP #1. He gets the name. The costume. The Soul Gem.

You guys are arguing about nothing.

FF is the first appearance, but MP #1 is a major key issue, in which the story of Warlock actually begins.

^^

I love this "it's all semantics" BS when you realize we're talking about fictional funny book characters. It's *less* than semantics, and inconsequential to 99.99999999999999999% of the world's population, but it's still important to comic book collectors.

Okay, CGC just screwed the pooch once again.

Bucky/Winter Soldier appearances are hot now, and CGC has clearly identified several issues as "First Appearance of Winter Soldier" and "First Full Appearance of Winter Soldier, etc.

Explain that one for me, please?

Bucky/Winter Soldier appearances are hot now, and CGC has clearly identified several issues as "First Appearance of Winter Soldier" and "First Full Appearance of Winter Soldier, etc.

I would call this the red sonja variant.

Same thing for conan 23 and 24.

Which issues did they label what? He appears in one panel in #1, so I'm curious if they noted that or not.

I would call this the red sonja variant.

Same thing for conan 23 and 24.

Do you even understand what I am saying?

Bucky IS Winter Soldier, so why the "First Appearance"? CGC stated they don't do that for characters (like Hank Pym - Antman/Giantman/YG, Him-Warlock, etc.) that have already appeared in one incarnation.

It should read: "First Bucky as Winter Soldier"

What does ASM #300, IM #282, ASM #361 say? I don't believe they say "First Appearance of Eddie Brock as Venom" or "First Appearance of Jim Rhodes as War Machine".

Not sure I agree on the notation of "First Appearance of Bucky as Winter Soldier". I don't care about Carol Danvers or Eddie Brock or Jim Rhodes or Cletus Cassidy. When did they become the super-heroes/villains...that's all I care about.

What does ASM #300, IM #282, ASM #361 say? I don't believe they say "First Appearance of Eddie Brock as Venom" or "First Appearance of Jim Rhodes as War Machine".

Not sure I agree on the notation of "First Appearance of Bucky as Winter Soldier". I don't care about Carol Danvers or Eddie Brock or Jim Rhodes or Cletus Cassidy. When did they become the super-heroes/villains...that's all I care about.

^^

If you like Adam Warlock....MP 1 is clearly the book of choice.

I had to have them all. Can't help myself. :insane:

I think all 3 makes a sweet tri-fecta set to have :takeit:

..... NOW we're talking. I love the FF 66-67 storyline..... it's one of my favorites, heady stuff for the time..... but then, so was the Adam Warlock that we all came to know and love. The BA would have been an insignificant footnote without Starlin and Warlock..... IMHO. When I reflect back to the BA, those comics are some of the first that come to mind ..... stuff that forced you to think a little. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So Bucky didn't fight alongside Captain America and other Marvel/Timely heroes?

You probably just read Moderns, but you might want to refresh your comic book history prior to 2000. :roflmao:

ya1.jpg

You probably just read Moderns, but you might want to refresh your comic book history prior to 2000. :roflmao:

Way to COMPLETELY miss the point... :golfclap:

:roflmao:

Way to COMPLETELY miss the point... :golfclap:

Huh? You stated that Bucky was NOT a hero prior to becoming Winter Soldier, like Carol Danvers or Eddie Brock or Jim Rhodes or Cletus Cassidy, and I disagreed due to his lengthy heroics at Timely alongside Captain America, Toro, Sub-mariner, etc. - that is the entire point of the Winter Soldier character, that he used to be the superhero Bucky.

How is that (in dateless nerd-speak) "missing the point"?

I guess If you look at the labels MP1 is origin of Warlock.

Thats my point - CGC has stated that only the *first* hero incarnation can get a "first appearance", while subsequent ones get the "X as Y" or 'Origin of..." notation.

But then idiotic stuff like "First appearance of Winter Soldier" pop up, almost like their Member Dealers forced CGC to use this fake notation to sell their books - I guess money talks and logic walks.