• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

Golden Corral?

I already told you guys back in January in another thread in this forum where to find these books, but I didn't get a single PM asking where these stores were.

I guess everybody already has all the books they want since I didn't see any of you

there trolling the dollar boxes.

And it's not the Golden Corral.

Are you sure? I was looking through the window once and I'm pretty sure I saw a person eating comic books in there. IDK, maybe I was wrong.

Yanni -- you are welcome to come to St. Louis, Kansas City or Tulsa any time and

make a lot of money.

And that is my LAST clue.

The $2000 profit I alluded to was based on taking 75% of latest eBAY high price for a CGC 9.8, and includes a press/grade for each book. Obviously not all will be

9.8 but expect most to be since none have anything more than minor non-color-breaking spine stress and some light bends. Pressing should correct most of them.

Not sure what shipping will cost but obviously a reduction, and eBAY fees will reduce the profit further.

These books cost me $25 at LCS so that would also have to be deducted.

Book		       qty    Price    Sale$  Grade$  Press$   Net    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------															
Amazing Spider-man 344	1	125	125	18	7	100
Captain America 360	1	100	100	18	7	75
Darkhawk 1		1	100	100	18	7	75								
Destroyer Duck 1	1	120	120	18	7	95
Incredible Hulk 377 3rd	1	250	250	18	7	225
Thor 337		1	200	200	18	7	175								
Thor 411		1	100	100	18	7	75								
Thor 412		1	100	100	18	7	75								
Uncanny X-men 282	1	120	120	18	7	95
New Mutants 100		2	120	240	36	14	190								
X-Factor 24		1	100	100	18	7	75								
X-Force #11		2	100	200	36	14	150								
Action Comics 684	4	75	300	72	28	200								
JLA 69			3	75	225	54	21	150								
Man of Steel 17		1	220	220	18	7	195								
Man of Steel 18, 3rd	1	150	150	18	7	125								
Man of Steel 18		1	150	150	18	7	125								
Man of Steel 19		2	100	200	36	14	150								
Superman 74		3	75	225	54	21	150								
Superman 75		7	75	525	126	49	350									

Actually, I'm impressed. Other forum members have made much more outlandish claims with nearly a document showing you how they come about such nonsense.

This is well document and regardless of grades I have to say I applaud this detail of financial accountability.

I stand corrected. At least this n00b rules.

I've been collecting books and sport cards for many years. So I tend

to be pretty conservative when self-grading items.

If at least 75% of these don't get 9.8 then I'm going to be really surprised.

I have more of these same issues in lesser grades but I'm only grading the ones

that have a legitimate 9.8 shot.

So it may be optimistic but is also based on some kind of reality. I've cracked a few CGC 9.8 books to compare so I don't think it's unrealistic.

I've been collecting books and sport cards for many years. So I tend

to be pretty conservative when self-grading items.

If at least 75% of these don't get 9.8 then I'm going to be really surprised.

I have more of these same issues in lesser grades but I'm only grading the ones

that have a legitimate 9.8 shot.

So it may be optimistic but is also based on some kind of reality. I've cracked a few CGC 9.8 books to compare so I don't think it's unrealistic.

Why are you cracking 9.8 books?

You may be on the right track with all of your assumptions, but it will take a good amount of time and money to get there. Most people enjoy a good rags-to-comic-riches story, but let's wait until the eBay checks clear.

I bought a cheap 9.6 and a 9.8 and cracked 'em just to see how stringent CGC's standards were. You can only see so much without cracking out the book and examining it.

I will report back on this in another three months, but I think I'm going to submit only about a dozen or so initially and not necessarily the ones in the best condition. And if that goes well then the next round will be bigger. I need to see how they do with the pressing for the ones that need that.

I bought a cheap 9.6 and a 9.8 and cracked 'em just to see how stringent CGC's standards were. You can only see so much without cracking out the book and examining it.

I will report back on this in another three months, but I think I'm going to submit only about a dozen or so initially and not necessarily the ones in the best condition. And if that goes well then the next round will be bigger. I need to see how they do with the pressing for the ones that need that.

Let us know what the results are. Sometimes you get a bump and sometimes you get a debump and sometimes it comes back the same. It's all a shoot from what I can tell.

Let us know what the results are. Sometimes you get a bump and sometimes you get a debump and sometimes it comes back the same. It's all a shoot from what I can tell.

Best of luck on the subs. I thought I was a good / strict grader until I got my 1st few subs back. A lot more pre-screen failures than I ever expected. But that's also how you learn / get better.

PSA for sports cards is the same way at the very high end of the scale. PSA 9 pretty easy to get, but PSA 10 is very subjective. I've done resubs and made 9s into 10s several times.

CGC 9.8 seems to be more consistent. And I hardly ever see 9.9 or 10.

I can't believe there is so much debate over Marvel Age issues. I love it. Reminds me of the debates from old copper age threads. :cloud9:

I see them all the time in $1 boxes and never thought once to pick one up.

I would never keep one for my PC because I don't personally believe they're worth collecting, but would

love to sell one for a big profit to those who do.

I'm selling my Hulk 377 third print for the same reason. I don't give a hoot for variants or later prints of any kind and scarcity of a book for it's own sake means nothing to me, but for those who like this dreck I will be willing to serve that market. I will gladly trade my $1 purchase for your $200 or $300 dollars.

Please don't confuse me with some newb.

Noob.
:sorry:

PSA for sports cards is the same way at the very high end of the scale. PSA 9 pretty easy to get, but PSA 10 is very subjective. I've done resubs and made 9s into 10s several times.

CGC 9.8 seems to be more consistent. And I hardly ever see 9.9 or 10.

Please keep us updated regarding the presses (what was sent, the results, etc.), what you send to CGC, and all sales activity (both sold and unsold).