• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

I am not telling anyone to start buying Marvel Age issues but if you are just be smart about it. For instance, Marvel Age #99 is the preview for Infinity Gauntlet and Black Panther both to be big part of Marvel Cinematic Universe. No one ever thought Marvel Age #25 would be a $20 comic.

I can't believe I have to say this...

Marvel Age is a PREVIEW book. They printed a gobzillion of them.

It's just a newscomic about new comics.

Please, please market...don't make collectibles out of Marvel Age.

:facepalm:

+1

I must be a grade A sucker, because I actually looked for and then purchased Marvel Age #19 and #25 at my LCS tonight.

Both are pretty high grade and they were 60 cents each. But still... I feel shame.

:roflmao::applause:lol:insane:

Gobzillion . . . that's a freakin-lot :roflmao:

My two cents...I get why people don't want Marvel Age or similar books to become collectibles. There's that DC Spotlight book with previews of both Watchmen and Dark Knight. The Preacher preview, of course.

It feels like, I dunno, giving out Oscars for Best Trailer.

BUT...

...when a comic becomes hot enough--and especially when it becomes unattainable enough--the rabid collectors are going to want to feel they own that comic's ESSENCE as much as possible. Collect Doomsday? Already got MOS 17, but you wish you could still recapture that feeling of the chase AND feel like you have MOS 17 in a way that's even more MOS 17ier than just that one issue itself? Get all the subsequent printings, too. Pick up the standee or poster (making these up!), too.

And if you're doing all that...why WOULDN'T you want the DC Direct Currents that advertised MOS 17, too?

When comics and characters go big, their collecting spheres are going to expand...yes, even into paraphernalia that we don't consider to be comics proper.

And one reason we don't like that, is because then it starts to itch at our OWN sense of completionism. If everyone else out there has the Darkhawk preview in Marvel Age whatever...are our Darkhawk #1s REALLY enough... and pretty soon, damn it, these silly people who don't know what comics collecting is really supposed to be have redefined things enough that now WE feel compelled to pick up a comic we "know" we shouldn't care about.

Happened to me on Preacher Preview years ago.

Glad it did today!

And one reason we don't like that, is because then it starts to itch at our OWN sense of completionism. If everyone else out there has the Darkhawk preview in Marvel Age whatever...are our Darkhawk #1s REALLY enough... and pretty soon, damn it, these silly people who don't know what comics collecting is really supposed to be have redefined things enough that now WE feel compelled to pick up a comic we "know" we shouldn't care about.

Don't feel compelled. Buy what you like and you'll never be disappointed.

If you don't care to fork out big bucks for a book then just say no.

Personally, I feel nothing for later printings of books, no matter the rarity. For me these are

just items to buy cheap and sell high. I found a Hulk 377 third printing for a buck so I'm having

it graded so someone that does care can pay me $300.

The same applies to previews or cameos or whatever type of variant cover.

For me the first printing of issue 1 of a series is the only first issue book that matters, but to each his own.

Don't feel compelled. Buy what you like and you'll never be disappointed.

1) Buy what you like.

2) Buy where they ain't.

The worst thing you could ever do is "follow the crowd" with the other sheep.

My two cents...I get why people don't want Marvel Age or similar books to become collectibles. There's that DC Spotlight book with previews of both Watchmen and Dark Knight. The Preacher preview, of course.

It feels like, I dunno, giving out Oscars for Best Trailer.

Kinda rhetorical, no? :grin:

The masses have spoken. :insane:

The masses have spoken. :insane:

Isn't that how something becomes collectable? A "throw away" that isn't properly cared for and no one wants, then people realize that it has some connection to the things they used to love at a younger age... and now it's impossible to find HG copies because everyone just threw them on the floor or lined their habatrail with them?

Not saying this is the case with MA, but the narrative isn't too far off. I know I threw all my MA out right after flipping through it... they never saw a bag or board in my house.

The worst thing you could ever do is "follow the crowd" with the other sheep.

If you are really so-inclined and really like all this extra ephemera then by all means go for it. Some folks are OCD-positive and completionist by nature. That's hard-wired in your brain at an early age and you cannot fight it. Keep doing it so we can sell you books that we picked up cheap for a lot more dough.

Just don't start collecting this stuff to keep for your PC because you read about it in this forum (unless you already liked it and wanted it).

Despite purchasing those issues of Marvel Age yesterday, I am firmly in the camp that this sort of thing - previews being valuable - is goofy. The main reason being that, as someone who actually reads comics, most of these don't have a story to read, or if they do, it's just a couple pages. For me, they aren't real comic books. They are just advertisements.

However, the market has spoken on this already by pumping up the value of stuff like Preacher Preview, Absolute Vertigo, the FCBD with the tease for Revival and that sort of thing. Heck, Gobbledygook #1 and #2 are worth ridiculous amounts because of an advertisement.

The situation is also muddied for me by some of the completely idiotic things that have become collectible. MoS #17 features a couple panels of a fist. Whoop-de-do. By comparison, the Darkhawk cover and five page preview in Marvel Age #97 looks like War & Peace.

I doubt anything that appears in Marvel Age will ever be as valuable as the real comics that are being promoted, but it wouldn't surprise me if MA started getting some secondary heat. Lord knows we comic fans have done dumber things before.