• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

I thought this was the thread where the potential sellers con the dupes into over-paying for their Copper books, thus assuring themselves an ongoing profit stream while keeping the Copper market viable long-term.

Am I in the wrong place?

Yep, that's the other thread . . . lol

Just thought that it might be worth pointing out that some of the Marvel Age Annuals contain original, full-length stories that were not printed elsewhere.

But I don't know if that's something to invest in, something to pretend we're investing in to tease "the noobs", or just useless trivia...

Just thought that it might be worth pointing out that some of the Marvel Age Annuals contain original, full-length stories that were not printed elsewhere.

But I don't know if that's something to invest in, something to pretend we're investing in to tease "the noobs", or just useless trivia...

And, as the title has never been included in the Overstreet Guide (correct, right?) The sky's the limit! lol

The masses have spoken. :insane:

Yanni -- I hope your'e not saying that you're collecting this for your own PC. Hopefully just to trade/flip?

I'm saying that trying to figure out what books will be hot is a shoot. There is no real reason this book should hold any value for it's significance but it does...now.

Don't get me wrong....I am not a fool.

Well...mostly. :insane:

If I see MA #whatever for $1, I'm not someone who will say "nope. Must stand by the principle, and let it be."

Of course I'm not going to do that. Of course I'm going to buy it and flip it.

But....

It IS only Marvel Age. That's like people paying a premium for Diamond's Previews, or a random copy of CBG!

:cry:

(Says the guy who has 3-4 copies of MA #1......)

I will say this: at some point, the market makes a distinction between the actual, and the copy. While someone may pay $40 million for a Picasso original, an auction catalog from its first public auction in 1954 will always be valued far less...and more importantly, will increase in value on a much, MUCH smaller scale.

I will always encourage people to buy multiple copies of what may become important books. I will never encourage people to "invest" in a book like Marvel Age. It is, after all, just a preview of the real thing.

I thought this was the thread where the potential sellers con the dupes into over-paying for their Copper books, thus assuring themselves an ongoing profit stream while keeping the Copper market viable long-term.

Am I in the wrong place?

You're thinking of every other "comics heating up" thread on the boards, but I understand the confusion.

Am I in the wrong place?

You're thinking of every other "comics heating up" thread on the boards, but I understand the confusion.

Who's confused here?

I've seen a few in recent months going up in value

Tales of the Teen Titans #44

Man of steel #18

Hulk #271

Swamp Thing #37

What other Copper books are starting to heat up?

Blue Beetle 20

Night Force 1 (Movie)

Thriller 1 (music video tie-in)

Sonic Disruptors 1

Suburban Jersey Ninja She-Devils 1 (Real Housewives prequel)

I got excited for a second. :sorry:

Screenshot2013-08-13at75918PM_zps2afd9789.png

I just noticed...that book has no notes.

;)

It's interesting to see books with no notes. You get a lot of that in the Marvel reprints of the 70's, even though the covers are usually original.

Don't get me wrong....I am not a fool.

Well...mostly. :insane:

If I see MA #whatever for $1, I'm not someone who will say "nope. Must stand by the principle, and let it be."

Of course I'm not going to do that. Of course I'm going to buy it and flip it.

But....

It IS only Marvel Age. That's like people paying a premium for Diamond's Previews, or a random copy of CBG!

:cry:

(Says the guy who has 3-4 copies of MA #1......)

I will say this: at some point, the market makes a distinction between the actual, and the copy. While someone may pay $40 million for a Picasso original, an auction catalog from its first public auction in 1954 will always be valued far less...and more importantly, will increase in value on a much, MUCH smaller scale.

I will always encourage people to buy multiple copies of what may become important books. I will never encourage people to "invest" in a book like Marvel Age. It is, after all, just a preview of the real thing.

Agreed. And if MA #25 (the one with the Rocket Raccoon cover) is fetching $20 on eBay, it's a good time to dump them.

MA #25 Recent Sales

And one reason we don't like that, is because then it starts to itch at our OWN sense of completionism. If everyone else out there has the Darkhawk preview in Marvel Age whatever...are our Darkhawk #1s REALLY enough... and pretty soon, damn it, these silly people who don't know what comics collecting is really supposed to be have redefined things enough that now WE feel compelled to pick up a comic we "know" we shouldn't care about.

Don't feel compelled. Buy what you like and you'll never be disappointed.

If you don't care to fork out big bucks for a book then just say no.

Personally, I feel nothing for later printings of books, no matter the rarity. For me these are

just items to buy cheap and sell high. I found a Hulk 377 third printing for a buck so I'm having

it graded so someone that does care can pay me $300.

The same applies to previews or cameos or whatever type of variant cover.

For me the first printing of issue 1 of a series is the only first issue book that matters, but to each his own.

$2... you'll double your money quick :baiting:

;)

It's interesting to see books with no notes. You get a lot of that in the Marvel reprints of the 70's, even though the covers are usually original.

And the image of the Ewok on the cover looks nothing like the version from the Star Comic run.

It seems to me that "buy what you like" is potentially in conflict with "don't follow the sheep." A lot (a LOT) of what people like is determined by what other people like. If you want to say "buy what you like," I think that logically is the end of any other advice, right?

"Don't follow the sheep" makes good sense as an investment/speculative strategy--because, yes, as other posters have said, it's the stuff that DOESN'T get hoarded that'll be genuinely rare (if I were a true speculator, I'd be hoarding all the animated-show, kid-friendly DC and Marvel comics that my seven-year-old is crumpling to shreds on a weekly basis. Those not-for-grownup puppies are the ones that'll really be rare in nm/m 20 years from now.)

The reality is, though, that what the sheep like is one of, if not the biggest driver of what other people like--if for no other reason than that it heightens profiles enough for other people to discover things.

I can't believe there is so much debate over Marvel Age issues. I love it. Reminds me of the debates from old copper age threads. :cloud9:

I see them all the time in $1 boxes and never thought once to pick one up.

I would never keep one for my PC because I don't personally believe they're worth collecting, but would

love to sell one for a big profit to those who do.

I'm selling my Hulk 377 third print for the same reason. I don't give a hoot for variants or later prints of any kind, and scarcity of a book for it's own sake means nothing to me, but for those who like this dreck I will be willing to serve that market. I will gladly trade my $1 purchase for your $200 or $300 dollars.

It seems to me that "buy what you like" is potentially in conflict with "don't follow the sheep." A lot (a LOT) of what people like is determined by what other people like.

If you actually believe this, then you are a sheep through and through, and that's your lot in life.

My entire collection has been built on two simple adages:

1) Buy what you like.

2) Buy where they ain't

Because of this, I will always appreciate my collection, simply because it's comprised of comics that I personally like, and I have been able to do it in a frugal manner because I always buy where the sheep ain't. I bought Starlin CM and Warlock books when no one really cared about them, but I did, and now I have multiples of every issue that would cost me 10X-20X more what I spent.

If a book I want suddenly goes red-hot because of a movie then I'm prepared to wait because that kind of instant-heat never lasts. So I concentrate on some other areas that are being ignored right now, and grab deals when I can and look for good QP copies of keys that have been popular for decades (these bad boys are blue chips and if you wait, you usually pay more).

When people say "buy what you like" they mean what titles did you grow up reading and give you a positive feeling with ownership, which books did you truly appreciate the art and story, which characters are your favorites, what covers do you like, which eras?

But whatever you choose, do not follow others, and make your own choices. If that means Marvel Star Comics are what you like to collect, then damn it, get going on the best Star Comics collection you can find and/or afford and don't give a lick about what some old GA fogey says.

Just do it.

Because of this, I will always appreciate my collection, simply because it's comprised of comics that I personally like, and I have been able to do it in a frugal manner because I always buy where the sheep ain't.

This is a sound philosophy for some, I am one of them.

My own personal rules:

1) Buy what you like

2) Don't pay more than $3 for a book

These guys like Mercenaut on Youtube slay me. Paying $100 for a single book.

That's my entire comic book budget for the month. He must have a printing

press in his basement.

When people say "buy what you like" they mean what titles did you grow up reading and give you a positive feeling with ownership, which books did you truly appreciate the art and story, which characters are your favorites, what covers do you like, which eras?

This is also my philosophy. I do keep some Copper books, but for the most part what I'm interested in are the Bronze Marvel series that I liked when I was younger when I couldn't afford to buy all the books that I wanted.

I'm using proceeds from Copper sales to buy a lot of Bronze books, following the $3 rule. This is not a race. The books are plentiful and they will always be out there in sufficient quantity so patience wins out. Wanting something NOW is the surest way to overpay for anything (unless it's a hot book that hasn't reached it's potential yet).

;)

And the image of the Ewok on the cover looks nothing like the version from the Star Comic run.

There's an Ewok on that cover?

I can't believe there is so much debate over Marvel Age issues. I love it. Reminds me of the debates from old copper age threads. :cloud9:

I see them all the time in $1 boxes and never thought once to pick one up.

I would never keep one for my PC because I don't personally believe they're worth collecting, but would

love to sell one for a big profit to those who do.

I'm selling my Hulk 377 third print for the same reason. I don't give a hoot for variants or later prints of any kind and scarcity of a book for it's own sake means nothing to me, but for those who like this dreck I will be willing to serve that market. I will gladly trade my $1 purchase for your $200 or $300 dollars.

Please don't confuse me with some newb. I just provide information and it is up to the individual what they do with the information. For Marvel Age issues I would just buy it and flip it.

;)

There's an Ewok on that cover?

Supposedly, looks more like a beaver....