• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional?

27 posts in this topic

I didn't search the board for any discussion on this topic, so apologies up front.

So has anyone heard about this CVA entity? I am seeing a few books on ComicLink endorsed as "CVA Exceptional".

In the mission, it states:

"The need for CVA in the comic book marketplace is the inevitable result of the subjective aspects of grading, even with established third-party certification."

http://www.cvacomics.com/index.php/our-mission.html

So the way I interpret this is they are certifying a certification. Is this a gimmick or...?

And is one of the boardies responsible for this service?

It's a company that grades how pretty the book is through the slab.

I'm starting up my own company that grades how well the CVA sticker is applied.

CVAGC will have a thicker clear plastic sticker that protects your CVA sticker and displays it's grade.

There you go...

CVAGC will have a thicker clear plastic sticker that protects your CVA sticker and displays it's grade.

There you go...

They've been doing it for years with slabbed coins. It usually increases the final price at auction as the sticker certifies that the item has nice appeal for the stated grade. You've probably seen books where you've said," WTF ? ...... THAT is a 6.5 ?..... it's ugly"...... that book will NOT get the sticker. Basically what they do is help the inexperienced buyer to "buy the book and not the label"...... and for those who can't inspect their book in person. Since it will theoretically include assessment of the back cover also, it can also be beneficial with sites that post front scans only. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

. You've probably seen books where you've said," WTF ? ...... THAT is a 6.5 ?..... it's ugly"...... that book will NOT get the sticker. Basically what they do is help the inexperienced buyer to "buy the book and not the label"...... and for those who can't inspect their book in person. Since it will theoretically include assessment of the back cover also, it can also be beneficial with sites that post front scans only. GOD BLESS...

No

:signfunny:

gave me cokeupthenose as I laughed.

I have since decided to grade the coke spray.

:idea:

My company will grade coke sprayed from nasal passage on to CVAGC stickers that are on CVA graded exceptional books in CGC cases.

CSFNPOCVAGCCVACGC

:signfunny:

gave me cokeupthenose as I laughed.

I have since decided to grade the coke spray.

:idea:

My company will grade coke sprayed from nasal passage on to CVAGC stickers that are on CVA graded exceptional books in CGC cases.

CSFNPOCVAGCCVACGC

:signfunny::golfclap::roflmao:

Because many CGC grades cause seasoned collectors to say, "WTF?", it's kind of a guaranty that you will say, "Nice book for the grade!" instead.

I didn't search the board for any discussion on this topic, so apologies up front.

So has anyone heard about this CVA entity? I am seeing a few books on ComicLink endorsed as "CVA Exceptional".

In the mission, it states:

"The need for CVA in the comic book marketplace is the inevitable result of the subjective aspects of grading, even with established third-party certification."

http://www.cvacomics.com/index.php/our-mission.html

So the way I interpret this is they are certifying a certification. Is this a gimmick or...?

And is one of the boardies responsible for this service?

You've probably seen books where you've said," WTF ? ...... THAT is a 6.5 ?..... it's ugly"...... that book will NOT get the sticker.
Based on what I've seen, this actually is not the case. Pay the fee, get the sticker.

..... could be.... I haven't actually bought one and seen in person. I was just trying to simplify the basic philosophy behind what that type of service is supposed to represent based on other successful models..... like the one in the coin hobby. With that one, the fee is low..... around $ 10 ..... and the percentage of coins that actually sticker is not high. There are two types of stickers there, green and gold, with green meaning strong for the grade and gold meaning undergraded. I have seen (and own) stickered coins and they really are sharper...... but even there, people are still reluctant to accept the service, even though it typically translates to a higher sale when stickered. For that matter, there are still many people who don't accept slabbing either.... which also typically translates to higher sales. Bottom line.... if they ARE stickering every submission, the service will eventually become meaningless (and worthless) and it will go away. GOD BLESS...

A CVA sticker is the braille on top of the normal CGC grade. If you are looking at your comic in hand, you already know if it would get a CVA sticker on it. If you want to pay for it, then there is someone out there willing to take your money. I see slabs a lot online where people have peeled them off before listing them.

I'm starting my own company too, but these are the stickers I am using:

stickers_yellow_smile_face_lemon_scented_sticker.gif

They've been doing it for years with slabbed coins. It usually increases the final price at auction as the sticker certifies that the item has nice appeal for the stated grade. You've probably seen books where you've said," WTF ? ...... THAT is a 6.5 ?..... it's ugly"...... that book will NOT get the sticker. Basically what they do is help the inexperienced buyer to "buy the book and not the label"...... and for those who can't inspect their book in person. Since it will theoretically include assessment of the back cover also, it can also be beneficial with sites that post front scans only. GOD BLESS...

Exactly, the presence of the sticker helps you to ascertain the Back cover and in hand look of the book. I admit the sticker has influenced me to bid more aggressively, especially on Comiclink. I can see why they 'partnered' with Comiclink. Once I own the book and it is in hand, the sticker means nothing to me. But hey, the sticker serves a purpose. No biggie.