• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Adventures 12...9.8 census numbers continue to skyrocket

171 posts in this topic

Its all about the demand with this book, not the rarity. There are a lot of things that are rare that aren't worth anything. A lot of people think this book is overpriced and that it too has a bubble that will burst. I strongly disagree with that speculation though. I think more and more females are getting into comics nowadays, and just as mentioned earlier, this book is very appealing to female collectors. HQ is a character that has so much room for popularity growth its kinda crazy.

How could anybody see the literally dozens of copies for sale on the net every single day of the week, both raw and slabbed, and possibly think this book is "rare"?

-J.

It's not rare it's popular like NM 98, same scenario. Anxiously awaiting the 2 I sent into CGC, one's gotta be a 9.8

+1

Good luck with your books!

With more and more 9.8s showing up on the census, does anyone think the price it commands now will be able to sustain itself? It might not be the bubble popping, but it seems like a correction, a "shrinking of the bubble" if you will, is going to occur.

-slym

With more and more 9.8s showing up on the census, does anyone think the price it commands now will be able to sustain itself? It might not be the bubble popping, but it seems like a correction, a "shrinking of the bubble" if you will, is going to occur.

-slym

This is more than likely with census numbers rising and a ton of these books sitting in high grade ungraded. Ths is why I avoid 'copper' and 'modern' age books for the long term.

Very few exhibit sustainable growth.

In comic books, scarcity takes a back seat to demand. Don't get me wrong, when a scarce comic is in demand, the price is steep. But in comics, demand is more important. Any number of books could be used to illustrate the point. There are no shortages of Hulk 181 or ASM 129 on eBay. So to is Barman Adventures readily available raw and slabbed. There is just so much demand for the books mentioned that high prices result.

Believe it or not, there are no Star Chamber type meetings of dealers. What far too many people ascribe a conspiracy theory to is nothing more than herd mentality. Individual dealers do what is in their best interests - and those best interests are basically the same. At the same time, individual collectors act as herd when everyone wants the same book because - well - everyone they know wants it.

I think the whole damn Batman Advs 12 thing is silly. The Joker's daughter's first appearance is Batman Family #6 published in 1976 - and it's a lot cheaper than Batman Advs 12.

People want the book in a 9.8 when it first started to get hot, not that many copies around. People were paying big bucks, many collectors who had 5-10-20 copies of it started to see the big money, many people got books graded. all not 9.8s but the census will continue to grow. supply and demand. prices will come down how much, dont know

-slym

The 9.8's may not be able to sustain the price it commands, but I think the overall value of this book is incredibly sustainable. Take Hulk 181 for example. The 9.8's have gone down in value, but the overall value has gone up. The damand has gone up as well for H181 as will the demand for BA12. Its this demand that makes the value of these books sustainable.

I think the whole damn Batman Advs 12 thing is silly. The Joker's daughter's first appearance is Batman Family #6 published in 1976 - and it's a lot cheaper than Batman Advs 12.

Is the Joker's daughter as popular as Harley Quinn?

Maybe he thinks they're same person?

Perhaps I'm misinformed. Has been known to happen. :whistle: Is Harley Quinn a different character than the Joker's daughter, aka Harlequin?

Both names are clearly referencing the definition of a comedic character:

har·le·quin noun: comic character in old stories and plays who wears a mask and colorful clothes

Yes. Very.

-slym

That's just silly. Same name, interacts with the same characters but a different character entirely? Whatever.

Regardless, thank you for informing me of my misunderstanding. People feel free to dump $700+ into a 9.8. I'm sure it will pan out.

Well, just read the Wiki article. So now I know the difference. Thanks all. Still seems like cheating with the near identical name :sumo:

Yes. Very.

-slym

That's just silly. Same name, interacts with the same characters but a different character entirely? Whatever.

Regardless, thank you for informing me of my misunderstanding. People feel free to dump $700+ into a 9.8. I'm sure it will pan out.

Well, just read the Wiki article. So now I know the difference. Thanks all. Still seems like cheating with the near identical name :sumo:

Yeah, that wiki article sums it up, however, I don't know what the deal is with DC's love affair for the name, but like you said, whatever.

I do think the 9.8's are ridiculously overpriced, which is why I bought my high grade raw copy (easily a 9.6) for just under $100.

In comic books, scarcity takes a back seat to demand. Don't get me wrong, when a scarce comic is in demand, the price is steep. But in comics, demand is more important. Any number of books could be used to illustrate the point. There are no shortages of Hulk 181 or ASM 129 on eBay. So to is Barman Adventures readily available raw and slabbed. There is just so much demand for the books mentioned that high prices result.

Believe it or not, there are no Star Chamber type meetings of dealers. What far too many people ascribe a conspiracy theory to is nothing more than herd mentality. Individual dealers do what is in their best interests - and those best interests are basically the same. At the same time, individual collectors act as herd when everyone wants the same book because - well - everyone they know wants it.

Harley Quinn has her interesting points as a character, but she is, at best, a third tier, one-dimensional novelty character, that didn't even originate in comics. To compare her first appearance to Wolverine or even the Punisher (also a third tier character, at best), is a bit of a reach IMHO. And when her "first appearance" surpassed the value of Venom's first appearance (a top tier character), everyone should have smelled a rat then. I am in agreement with others on this board, it will eventually settle in the 300-400 range for a 9.8.

-J

Maybe he thinks they're same person?

and the Joker is guilty of incest

It was $350 and I wanted it and never got around to buying it. Then when it popped to $800 I kept seeing it and regretting not having it. I just wanted it, so I paid double what I could have. It can be worth $100 next year, I just wanted a copy.

It will drop like a rock and I wouldn't be surprised with all of the additional 9.8s or even 9.9s it will dip below that $350 mark.

Couldn't disagree more.

Look at those copies of ASM 300.

How are those prices dropping over time and a billion of 9.8's? (shrug)

Harley Quinn is a big time character.

Book will level, but is now a blue chip book.

It is all about demand, and demand has been increasing on many copper books recently.

Harley Quinn has her interesting points as a character, but she is, at best, a third tier, one-dimensional novelty character, that didn't even originate in comics. To compare her first appearance to Wolverine or even the Punisher (also a third tier character, at best), is a bit of a reach IMHO. And when her "first appearance" surpassed the value of Venom's first appearance (a top tier character), everyone should have smelled a rat then. I am in agreement with others on this board, it will eventually settle in the 300-400 range for a 9.8.

-J

It won't surpass those books you mentioned, but she is obviously not a third Tier character.

9.8's could settle to high $500's, but I believe your looking at $550-650 for this book now and forever till it goes up 10% per year as he rest of the keys do.

Bats 12 isn't rare but it for sure wasn't as mass produced as ASM 300 or NM 98 though. If that book was then we wouldn't be seeing such a jump.

Being printed in '93, I don't think it was ever about its rarity, but whether the market was large enough to absorb the influx of available copies. This book has been selling well in raw form for a long time, nice copies were selling for over 100 dollars a year ago. I think the slabbers were just late to the party and this book went mostly ignored by the grading community until 5 or so months ago.

Why it skyrocketed? Obviously talk here and elsewhere in the community helped. But the fact that she is arguably the biggest (in terms of popularity, not necessarily in terms of use) Batman villain, other than Bane, to be created since Ghul in the 70s probably has something to do with it.

The female interest in the character cannot be ignored either. The majority of Harley Quinn books that I've sold have been bought by females.

And as I've said many times before, kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the Batman Animated Series (along with the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons) now have disposable income to spend on collecting comics. As most of them are still priced out of collecting first appearances and other popular books from the GA and SA, they are left with pouring their money into copper and modern books that feature the first appearances of characters from their childhoods.

Yes and mix that with video games, more cartoon appearances, and other pop culture productions this character is now a big deal.

The problem is most collectors only see the era they grew up in and can't see why other collectors desire something after their old head time frame of childhood has since ended.

For the 1990's Harley Quinn is a mega character. Is she a mega character such as Spider-man or Iron Man, of course not. However ask the average teenager who Harley Quinn is and they mostly will say, "Joker's girlfriend." ding ding ding