• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meltdown – The First Comic Shop To Take Bitcoin

88 posts in this topic

still an interesting concept :) i bought $100 worth and so the value went down. Now the value is $50 so i just cash it in.

its the same as comics... i buy a superman 75 thinking it will go up.

not everyone gets a Walking dead 1 at cover price :)

I don't see why Bitcoin is a controversial topic. I don't have faith in it and expect it to crash and burn within the next two years, but in the meanwhile people are making good money off it. I prefer my currency to be less volatile and more fluid though.

Gold and Silver, Precious Metals, If that’s how you want to save and diversify your holdings without IRA, ROTH IRA, Savings bonds, CDs, 401s, 457, Mutual funds, stocks,

Sure, buy bit coin. and lose your holdings. One day its $1200, next day its $500 then the next its $250. Then you try to sell it and find all your money is lost because the company up and split. With Precious metals, At least you physically hold it. And what the price is in China, Canada, Romania, ETC, is the same price in the US.

You mean "Clowns" like the federal reserve, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup, Wells Fargo, HSBC...

Do we need to look back at the news for the last 5 years to see how "well" the current financial institutions have been protecting you against fraud and NOT abusing their market advantage? If you're distrustful of BTC, then maybe look in your own back yard first and see how well you're being treated by the current status quo.

"Irrespective of this company vanishing completely it doesn't mean that the Dollar suddenly offers any protection against fraud. The Dollar still has the same problems it started with... which allow even "Clowns" to exploit the market."

Bitcoin, the protocol, absolutely DOES protect against fraud. Institutions, people and companies that transact in it may or may not. Two completely different things.

The difference in the institutions is that you have existing regulation versus no regulation and consumer protection versus no consumer protection. The protection lies in limiting the loss at the consumer end from their accounts or wallets when it comes to collapse, fraud or bad transactions. It just seems pretty insane to make any claim whatsoever that amateur time for running virtual currency exchanges is over when anyone can do it to any standard. There is no yard stick.

If BTC eventually becomes regulated and ultimately traceable then does it have any advantage over the next currency? I doubt it, at that point it will become just another promise without the advantage of anonymity.

Its not beyond the realm of possibility that Bitcoin catches on on a global scale. All money is is the faith and credit behind taxing authorities, so ultimately everything relies on beliefs.

If enough individuals believe there's value, then there will be value. If not, it'll crash and burn.

Also, you have to have a fairly strong stomach if you're holding them. They can have quite the daily fluxuation.

or the government comes in and says it has no value. In which case there will be no value

The whole thing is ridiculous

No government can touch it. The most any government can do is 'ban' their citizens from using it. Good luck enforcing that!

I never heard of doge coins before, I did some research and there new only two months old I think. But to mine them you need to have a really good graphic card it seems so I don't know how those who started a new account can get them, if they don't have the tech know-how?

A lot of information on dogecoin can be found on reddit.

The community is very proactive in helping out anyone with a curiosity.

Hey fellow shibe :) I love Dogecoin. It's made me over $5000 (which is a lot of money to me). I got lucky by switching from Litecoin mining to Dogecoin way back on 17th December.

For the coinees, my 'physical Dogecoins'

EDIT: These are just for fun. They do not contain any value. They are keepsakes for people who are into Dogecoin. They were minted by some guy out of his bedroom probably :)

eiji5Tk.jpg

I'll be getting some 1oz silver Dogecoin rounds soon too :cool:

This has been dragging out for months and is in fact the 4th or 5th "Goxing" people have had to suffer through. Gox just needs to go under already so that everything can get back to normal.

The issue is not with BTC. The issue is with a company run by clownish and incompetent management, as noted many times by Andreas Antonopoulos and others.

-Edit to remove blanket statement/assumption

Irrespective of this company vanishing completely it doesn't mean that Bitcoin suddenly offers any protection against fraud. BTC still has the same problems it started with... which allow even "Clowns" to exploit the market. You can bet your hard cash that whilst they were stalling and dragging this out that all the time they were jumping ship and selling off all of their own BTC. Again, no protection against fraud or market advantage.

Cash can be stolen, or fake. Credit card information can be stolen, and used. Credit card payments can be reversed on you. Governments can inflate currencies at will. Banks can fail. Etc etc. Bitcoin is hardly unique in that you should be careful with it.

I can easily hold Bitcoin in ways that are unequivocally impossible to steal, barring torture or mind-reading. I can hold them with complete and total security, forever, and easily access and send them around the world at virtually no cost, almost immediately.

Yeah, they beat every other form of value store and transmission ever devised, in every way. The risk of holding them, of course, is if the price drops and never recovers. Still, that isn't a problem for making transactions, since neither party need hold the coins if they don't want to.

For the coinees, my 'physical Dogecoins'

eiji5Tk.jpg

I'll be getting some 1oz silver Dogecoin rounds soon too :cool:

I apologize for the snarkiness, but I really can't believe you (or anyone else for that matter) are investing money in a financial product that looks like that. It literally looks like someone did that on their desktop printer. No branding. No consistency. No package design. Nothing. That's really scary.

I'm not trying to be overly snarky, but I really can't believe you (or anyone else for that matter) are investing money in a financial product that looks like that. It literally looks like someone did that on their desktop printer. No branding. No consistency. No package design. Nothing. It looks completely, 100% worthless and created by someone in Nigeria.

The copper coins are just a bit of fun. They aren't currency, just ornaments or keepsakes really. Also, not 'officially' affiliated with Dogecoin (which isn't a business, trademark or copyright anyway).

As for investing in cryptocurrency... Yes, very risky if you wade in with a fistful of dollars looking to double your money. I made money by mining coins, which is risk free apart from my initial purchase of hardware (hardware that has retained its value and can be used for other things). Having spent a few months around the scene, I would now feel comfortable putting some hard cash into certain cryptos too, if I had any spare cash that is :)

I'm not trying to be overly snarky, but I really can't believe you (or anyone else for that matter) are investing money in a financial product that looks like that. It literally looks like someone did that on their desktop printer. No branding. No consistency. No package design. Nothing. It looks completely, 100% worthless and created by someone in Nigeria.

The copper coins are just a bit of fun. They aren't currency, just ornaments or keepsakes really. Also, not 'officially' affiliated with Dogecoin (which isn't a business, trademark or copyright anyway).

As for investing in cryptocurrency... Yes, very risky if you wade in with a fistful of dollars looking to double your money. I made money by mining coins, which is risk free apart from my initial purchase of hardware (hardware that has retained its value and can be used for other things). Having spent a few months around the scene, I would now feel comfortable putting some hard cash into certain cryptos too, if I had any spare cash that is :)

I can see that point of view - especially when you've been around to get your feet wet. I suppose it's all in your comfort level.

It doesn't sound a lot more different than doing the penny stock thing - that's also a calculated risk, and from what I've seen - you can find companies who've spent a grand total of $200 on their overall brand identity asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars from investors. I don't think that mentality is exclusive to the currency market.

However, I will say that Bitcoin does put added emphasis on their branding - because I think they always want to be percieved as legit. Of course, that's just perception - practical application of legitimacy is a whole different ballgame.

Hey fellow shibe :) I love Dogecoin. It's made me over $5000 (which is a lot of money to me). I got lucky by switching from Litecoin mining to Dogecoin way back on 17th December.

Hello! I got into Dogecoin around the same time as you but didn't jump in financially until a few weeks later. It's my first dip into the crypto markets though I've been watching them closely for a while now.

However, I will say that Bitcoin does put added emphasis on their branding - because I think they always want to be percieved as legit. Of course, that's just perception - practical application of legitimacy is a whole different ballgame.

Yes, Bitcoin wants to be taken seriously by many of its users. But then who is Bitcoin? It doesn't belong to anyone. There are people and companies that use Bitcoin, that drive its acceptance, but nobody owns or officially controls it. Decentralization baby :headbang:

Hello! I got into Dogecoin around the same time as you but didn't jump in financially until a few weeks later. It's my first dip into the crypto markets though I've been watching them closely for a while now.

It's been napping for a while. Really hoping we find an excuse to push it up to 300 satoshis in the coming weeks.

Yes, Bitcoin wants to be taken seriously by many of its users. But then who is Bitcoin? It doesn't belong to anyone. There are people and companies that use Bitcoin, that drive its acceptance, but nobody owns or officially controls it. Decentralization baby :headbang:

Bitcoin did a great job with it's website in illustrating how it worked - it had a friendly, non-stuffy vibe to it. Personally, Bitcoin isn't for me - but I think it marketed itself very effectively to the kinds of people who are buying into it.

It's been napping for a while. Really hoping we find an excuse to push it up to 300 satoshis in the coming weeks.

Napping is healthy. It shows stabilization, which is great for the long term. The pushing the community does to expand acceptance and public awareness will help on the way to a new high in satoshis.