• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,525 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Not sure where this falls on the rarity scale, but she's quite the looker

s-l1600.jpg

What a cutie.  I recognize that one from Doc Love's avatar.  It's a pretty similar layout to what many romance pulps look like (a glamour cover is what magazine people tend to call it, where you get a close up of the face or just a bit of the figure).

I don't think I own any Ace romance comics.  Their crime comics seem pretty plentiful, but it is always a matter of who kept what back when.  Many of these poor girls got no love :'(

An interesting bit of coincidence/serendipity, a member over in the pulpscans group noticed that Bernard Baily is listed an editor on Brown, a pocket magazine I just scanned, posted, and blogged this week.  You'd have to suppose the same Bernard as our romance and comics artist.

Brown1954-01p001(DarwinEdit).thumb.jpg.59e1f15054e1f51a063cf012bf37d7e2.jpg

Brown1954-01p002.thumb.jpg.b4071a867e8796ae5840d2aff23f362f.jpg

https://archive.org/details/brown-v-01n-01-1954-01.-sepia-darwin-ia/page/4/mode/2up

http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/2023/09/brown-v01n01-january-1954-new-york-new.html

Edited by Darwination

On 9/15/2023 at 9:11 AM, Iksar said:

That is Whitney's masterpiece in my opinion. As good as it gets

Gorgeous, but 546 in that shape, really?!

I feel like 15 years ago I could have found that one for five bucks in no time.

Timely Atlas collectors seem an odd sort to me but mostly on the patient and cheaper side, so this surprises.  Of course when you really want a grail, maybe you go for it ^^

Edited by Darwination

On 9/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, Darwination said:

Gorgeous, but 546 in that shape, really?!

I feel like 15 years ago I could have found that one for five bucks in no time.

Timely Atlas collectors seem an odd sort to me but mostly on the patient and cheaper side, so this surprises.  Of course when you really want a grail, maybe you go for it ^^

pretty high for a 2.5, but like ya said, u take what u can get when there are zero alternatives

......oh, it sez 1.5,  yikes!

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 9/15/2023 at 7:11 AM, Iksar said:

My preference is for a few of those Manhunt covers...  NOT at all romantic though.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:11 AM, Iksar said:

Blissard gets numbers that others can't. 

And btw it's Hartley  :baiting:

Whitney's romance masterpieces are undeniable and within the ACG "Fab 4":  Romantic Adventures 49, 50 and Lovelorn 52.  Lovelorn 53 is part of the group but not a Whitney.

Edited by Dr. Love

Not scarce, surely, but I was looking at this Harvey today and this thread seems like a nice place to share my grody comics with the romance lovers :D

20230924_172817.thumb.jpg.b794d8fd4593333ed922f889163d53c0.jpg

Harvey romance rocks.  If you don't know, now you know.   Escape by ladder.  And, what, is dude wearing a man purse?

Doc Oldschool with the edits on the issue in the images below.  Like myself, he's recently returned to the scan scene and will be working with me a bit - I'm very happy to have one of my best former editors back in the fold.

I've poured out my love to you like wine.  I think both of them have been drinking.

Hi-School Romance 011 1951 splash I Promised Too Much

The centerfold.  Mixing fashion, passion, and violence, just what every teen-age girl likes in her comics.

Hi-School Romance 011 1951 centerfold

The shame and thrill of Backstairs Love...

Hi-School Romance 011 1951 splash Backstairs Love

Her dad dies, she has to leave school, and then she meets this mook. Raw Deal!

Hi-School Romance 011 1951 splash Raw Deal!

On 9/16/2023 at 5:01 PM, Courageous Cat said:

100%

sometimes I just watch his closing auctions to see the high numbers he gets, but generally speaking, I haven't bought anything from his eBay listings 

I buy from Adam fairly regularly. Yes, he gets good prices. But you get what you pay for. An accurately graded book, packaged well and sent fast. No monkey business or worry. My favorite regular EBay seller.