• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,527 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 10:16 PM, Darwination said:

YouthfulLove011950-05coverWalterJohnson.thumb.jpg.22cf8495e03e1f8342b84dc6df86127a.jpg

Youthful Love 01 1950-05 cover Walter Johnson

I tried to grab a few from the box at hand that were maybe scarcer, but this one isn't quite as scarce as I thought.

Hideous.

Wonderfully hideous :D

Turns out this one is rarer than I thought.  I didn't catch it's a Canadian edition (such horrid production values - Oh, Canada!).  Zero in census?

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=35510

Kudos to the editor.  A spot on treatment.

On 9/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Robot Man said:

I buy from Adam fairly regularly. Yes, he gets good prices. But you get what you pay for. An accurately graded book, packaged well and sent fast. No monkey business or worry. My favorite regular EBay seller. 

agree, just not a fan of color image enhancement 

I love the top one.

Was working with a rare one today, another Superior, one in the census, pretty good romance, Our Secret 6.  My Secret ran for 3 issues and then switched to Our Secret for issues four through eight. One issue of the My Secret is scanned and one of the Our Secret (now two), so we're looking to lay hands on the rest.

My copy, such as it is, soon to be passed on to the next guy.  Romance is fleeting heh heh

20230930_162043.jpg

A slightly interesting cover.  It's your typical love triangle but with an added foreign element.  It's really hard to make that sort of stache look good, Abdul Abulbul...

GCD shows all Iger studio credits which seems fair enough, as I see multiple cooks in the kitchen myself.  I like a lot of the art in the ish starting with the opening splash:

OurSecret06p003.thumb.jpg.8a2d89d60a95f2f54691785f8cd31694.jpg

Original artwork for the story sold at Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/complete-story/s-m-iger-studio-our-secret-6-forsaking-all-others-complete-9-page-story-original-art-superior-publishers-total-9/a/7097-93764.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You just knew a guy with a stache like that was going to be trouble...

OurSecret06p009.thumb.jpg.847f312dfce393d9d1afe21574d4740c.jpg

Matt Baker in the mix? Maybe?

OurSecret06p014.thumb.jpg.3611b5e26dc1e428f50887f4f3dfd826.jpg

This one kind of reminds me of the flying car above, probably just because I'd never seen it before the recent post.  A great splash design if also a particularly grubby page, Oh, Canada!!!

OurSecret06p019.thumb.jpg.e4f5f3331e0f6a9375d6b352c419ad7f.jpg

The last splash.  I love these colors.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

OurSecret06p026.thumb.jpg.e71e0f3cc83fecc6526a2e200fd653ea.jpg

lightly touched and rush scans here, I don't doubt myself or another editor will give it a different treatment for the digital museums.  The verdict is in, I like these Superior romances.  They've got good art and fun stories.

Edited by Darwination

On 9/30/2023 at 7:06 PM, Darwination said:

I love the top one.

Was working with a rare one today, another Superior, one in the census, pretty good romance, Our Secret 6.  My Secret ran for 3 issues and then switched to Our Secret for issues four through eight. One issue of the My Secret is scanned and one of the Our Secret (now two), so we're looking to lay hands on the rest.

When “My Secret” switches to “Our Secret”, I guess that means that I couldn’t keep my secret …. :whatthe:

GirlsRomances11950-03and04.SimcoecoverphotoCanadianEdition.thumb.jpg.a5b3fdc5bb39210637ca66c39c90eb07.jpg

I'm pretty sure I sent an image of this cover to the GCD years ago.  I don't think I've seen an image of another copy.  Zero copies in census.  7 copies in for the DC edition.  The cover's dark, the back cover's grubby and the pages are pretty brown, but it's really flat and square and solid and supple like no one read the thing til I thumbed through it just now, wild.

Has a 3 pager on Burt Lancaster in the middle, kind of odd, will have to track down the original printing to complete the index for the issue.  The rest of the stories are in the U.S. edition except for a 2 pager text story, Heavens Above!, (with an illustrated masthead) that runs front and back cover. Definitely not as cool as the inner covers on the American edition.  The printing actually looks better than the U.S. edition which is not how that usually goes lol

I don't know how I ended up with at least a few super scarce Canadian romance editions :I

On 10/8/2023 at 1:55 AM, Dr. Love said:

There's a certain early period in DC romance art that is sublime.  Sekowsky, or was it Infantino or Barry were beyond beyond

image.thumb.jpeg.7669050bb5e8bf11478cf65a6c35287a.jpeg

Sure looks Infantino to me.  Great sequence of panels!